Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help me date my Great Great Uncle Borsalino Savona

ketron281989

New in Town
Hello Everybody,

I was given a Borsalino Savona fedora several days ago by my Uncle. This hat is very special to me because it was once my Great Great Uncle's. He lived from 1895 to some time mid 1970's. He died before I was born. My Uncle recalls him to be a interesting man, he served in WWI. During some point in his life time, he purchased this Borsalino fedora. I really would like to put as close to an exact date as possible on it.

What is interesting is that there is no liner inside the hat. I took a look at the "How to Date Your Hat" thread, but am still having trouble trying to put a solid date on the hat.

Would any experts or anybody knowledgeable about Borsalino Savona's chime in please. I have been recently carefully wearing the hat when driving and on my way to work day to day. There is no liner, and the sweatband is sewn directly to the hat material.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/trainmaster227/1_zps52600a10.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/trainmaster227/DSCN4008_zps7143c8b5.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/trainmaster227/DSCN4013_zpsb3be12c8.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/trainmaster227/DSCN4011_zps8e99df28.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/trainmaster227/DSCN4010_zps68419257.jpg

Last edited:
Greetings and welcome. If you can photograph a manufacturing label behind the sweatband, that might help. I would guess 1960s.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
It's in a bit of a state the poor thing, needs a little TLC.

Looks very similar to the Borsalinos worn in the ' Nouvelle vague ' films of the late 50's & 60's.

ketron281989

New in Town
Thanks for all your replies. I have checked underneath the sweat band and was not able to locate a label. Also the threads holding the sweat band to the hat are in bad shape, I do not want to tear it up. Would you say early 60's or late 60's if it is not too hard to tell? Could the hat be as old as the late 50's?? Also do you think this hat had a liner inside of it originally?

Thanks for your help.

fedoracentric

Banned
Thanks for all your replies. I have checked underneath the sweat band and was not able to locate a label. Also the threads holding the sweat band to the hat are in bad shape, I do not want to tear it up. Would you say early 60's or late 60's if it is not too hard to tell? Could the hat be as old as the late 50's?? Also do you think this hat had a liner inside of it originally?

Thanks for your help.

To me that hat says between 1960 and 1965 and by that time hats had really fallen out of favor. By the late 60s the mod look had taken full sway and by the 70s hatters were adding all sorts of buckles and weird ribbon treatments.

It could have a felted edge (would need a better photo). I think early to mid 60s is a good bet although it might be late 50s. Borsalino made this type of hat (design and quality) up to the early 1980s.

ketron281989

New in Town
Great, Thank you all for your help, late 50's but most likely early 60's. Much appreciated.

I have been looking for 20's 30's hats on eBay since I receive this Borsalino Savona from my uncle. I have always liked vintage hats, mainly 20's, 30's, 40's era but have never found one fit my head. It just so happens that this hat that was my 2x great uncles, fits perfect. Size 7 1/2. Can I use this size when shopping for other antique/vintage hat's? I have no interest in buying reproduction versions even though some of them look great. As of right now I have been looking at Stetson and Borsalino, even Mallory. Is there a guide to follow for pre 1940's hats? I know the earlier hats usually did not have a size tag inside the sweatband like this hat does.

Thanks

Jon

Measure the circumference of your head and use this chart - or visit a hat shop and let them help you find your size. Borsalino hats tend to run a little small, so you might be able to fit in an American made hat a size smaller. Though you will find eBay listings for 1930s Borsalino hats, virtually all are 1950 and later. It will be easier to find an American brand hat from before WWII, though not easy in your size. There are threads here for pre-1940s Stetson hats and dedicated threads for almost every manufacturer you can imagine. Use Google to search, adding "Fedora Lounge" to your search words. Should keep you busy for a few months. :)

fedoracentric

Banned
Use Google to search, adding "Fedora Lounge" to your search words. Should keep you busy for a few months. :)

Months?

Try years.

I have been trying to make sense of many of the historical facts from this site for years and I still get things wrong because it is just so danged hard to search this site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy