Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Plymouth's as Daily Drivers?

K

kpreed

Plymouth

Most of my Plymouth's had the stock 217 engines, but I always had a 230 Dodge truck inline 6, (stronger) motor on a stand that I rebuilt, just in case and other then the engine number a DT instead of then a P prefix, who would know?

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
My grandmother had a Plymoth and said it was one of the best cars she owned. As for today if you get an older Plymoth it is harder to find parts for then say a Chevy or Ford but if you like the style and ride of a Plymoth better it would be more of a labor or love then an inconvience.

K

kpreed

Plymouth

I agree, old Ford and Chevy parts are out there and pretty easy to find and they have a bigger market I guess, but old Plymouth parts are out there too, you just need to know where to look. I always found everything I wanted for any year I had.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Some may say that the 1938 Plymouth has a face only a mother could love, and it's true that they didn't sell as well as the '37, but who am I to argue with "Mad Dog" Earle, Philip Marlowe and Walter Neff?

This is a pic from an eBay auction. Wish I had the dough...

1938PlymouthCoupe02.jpg

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I'll take one of those in Buckskin Beige and with the optional flip-down pistol rack under the dash. :D

K

kpreed

The Wingnut said:
I'll take one of those in Buckskin Beige and with the optional flip-down pistol rack under the dash. :D
I had no idea on the color, thank you and I think the flip-down rack was only on this one model. (I could be wrong on the rack part)
700.jpg

K

kpreed

Plymouth

What model was your '51? If do not mind, my '51 was a Concord Business Coupe. I had a good (girl) friend with a '66 Cuda, we would back- in with it at the drive-in movies and lay in the back under that big rear window

skillbilly

One of the Regulars
That window was the reason I bought it. Not a lot of fun in the summer though.
It was like being an ant under a magnifier glass.

The Plymouth was a Cranbrook and my first car. I almost bought one again earlier
this year, but my love of wagons kicked back in at the last minute.

K

kpreed

Plymouth

Thanks for the share, I know what you mean on the back window, could get real toastee in Summer, but was really great other times.

K

kpreed

Plymouth

I wish I had a photo of my p-22, but I don't. Just like this one, same color too, just add a outside windshield sun visor.
841.jpg

panamag8or

Practically Family
BakingInPearls said:
My grandmother had a Plymoth and said it was one of the best cars she owned. As for today if you get an older Plymoth it is harder to find parts for then say a Chevy or Ford but if you like the style and ride of a Plymoth better it would be more of a labor or love then an inconvience.

My Grandmother was similar. She got a '74 Satellite as a transition car between the cadillac she had and a new one that had to be ordered from the factory. It was the most basic stripped-down version, because after all, she would only have it for a month or so. Well, she liked it so much that they cancelled the caddy order, and she drove it for about 5 years, until she decided she wanted to be pampered by a caddy again.lol

Michaelson

One Too Many
Tony in Tarzana said:
Some may say that the 1938 Plymouth has a face only a mother could love, and it's true that they didn't sell as well as the '37, but who am I to argue with "Mad Dog" Earle, Philip Marlowe and Walter Neff?

This is a pic from an eBay auction. Wish I had the dough...

1938PlymouthCoupe02.jpg

Interesting. Looks like that one has had a fire inside. Look at the side windows and wing vent glass on both sides of the car!:eek:

Regards! Michaelson

Big Man

Michaelson said:
... Looks like that one has had a fire inside ...

I've seen a lot of car fires in the past 30 years, and this most likely is not a result of a fire. I'm not sure what is on the windows, but I'd feel very safe in saying it was not fire damage.

K

kpreed

Plymouth

Big Man said:
I've seen a lot of car fires in the past 30 years, and this most likely is not a result of a fire. I'm not sure what is on the windows, but I'd feel very safe in saying it was not fire damage.
I agree, I have been in the Fire Service (34 years) a long time and never seen window only fire damage like this. I would guess from other old cars I have had, this looks like the safety plastic between the two glass outer sheets turned color and that is more common then anyone thinks.

Big Man

kpreed said:
I agree, I have been in the Fire Service (34 years) a long time and never seen window only fire damage like this. I would guess from other old cars I have had, this looks like the safety plastic between the two glass outer sheets turned color and that is more common then anyone thinks.

It's been my experience that if a car fire gets much beyond a cigarette burn in the seat kind of thing, that the car is FUBAR.

Speaking of the safety plastic, when did cars start having "safety glass"? I know in a lot of early cars, the glass was an extreme hazard in the event of a wreck.

There is a vary funny story about the former Register of Deeds in McDowell County, NC back in the late 1930's. Mr. McGimpsey, the Register of Deeds, was involved in a car wreck at some point, and in the accident the glass (not "safety glass") sheared off his ear. As a result of this automobile accident, Mr. McGimpsey had a prosthetic ear that was held in place with some type of rubber cement.

Well, Mr. McGimpsey was an old-time politician who gave speeches at just about any kind of public gathering. One July 4th, he was giving a speech when the heat of the day began to cause the rubber cement in his prosthetic ear to let go. Little by little, as he was delivering a long-winded speech(probabally in support of FDR and the "New Deal"), his ear began to slip off his head. The women all shrieked when Mr. McGimpsey's ear completely fell off and landed on the speaker's platform. Mr. McGimpsey never missed a beat as he picked his ear up and put it in his vest pocket.

This story was told to me by Mr. McGimpsey's son, Charlie, who was best friends with my Dad growing up.

So, when did "safety glass" begin to be used in cars?

K

kpreed

Plymouth

In 1927 when laminated windshields were introduced. Prior to this, windshields were made of common glass, which shattered into sharp shards upon breaking. By laminating a layer of film between two layers of thin glass, safety glass was made possible. I have seen a side widow made this or of tempered safety glass.
EZ.jpg
32e8_1.jpg

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
The wonderful P-15.

Well, I drive a '46 P-15 Four door Special Deluxe daily... it's the only auto I own and have had it for nearly 4 years now. It's a simple car to work on, faithful, and I have made some amazing memories with that car. My true passion lies within the pre-war Plymouths... and some day soon I hope to have either a '39 or a '41. But, the P-15 is a fantastic car to drive! It is capable of daily work, it's no wonder that Plymouth boasted that:
Plym_flag.gif

I am a proud owner of a P-15 that I hope to own a good many more years, and I'm sure as I do, she'll take good care of me!

I could not recommend a better daily auto of the 1940's... they really are amazing cars! Not too expensive to run and maintain but, also to purchase!

FM~

K

kpreed

Plymouth

I agree they are so simple, I was out of gas with my p-15 Coupe once and no gasoline was around (bad plan) , so I dumped what I had, two gallons of lantern fuel in the tank. It knocked pretty bad, as it was not real high in Octane, but it got me home. Try that in a newer auto.
Plym_Dash_blue.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany