Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Knife

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I carry a small Swiss army knife on my key chain at all times and either a large Swiss army knife or an Opinel in my pocket most of the time.

Mocheman

One of the Regulars
I have a bunch of different pocket knives that I switch out depending on what I'm wearing. During the week when I'm wearing a suit I carry the Swiss Army One handed Trekker. On the weekend or at night during the week I might carry my Standard Swiss Army Knife Fisherman(version my parents bought for me in Switzerland when I was a teen), Buck traditional folder, Kershaw Skyline and a few others. However, Victorinox Swiss Army are by far my favorite.

I also have a Swiss Army Swiss Tool that like to carry as well.

I've been carrying a knife on my person since I was in grade school. Started with a pen knife.

DougC

Practically Family
That is one nice Laguiole!

I picked up a Kissing Crane Trapper a couple weeks ago. It is a bit bigger than I'm used to. But, it fits nicely in my pocket. So nicely that I forgot I had it in my pocket when I entered the courthouse for a hearing. Big no-no here.

Last edited:
Always have a pocket knife or I don't feel properly dressed.
When growing up, I'd carry 2 = 1 cheap Barlow & 1 nice Schrade.
My grandfather would hold up something & say "cut this". Used the nice one because I'd get a lecture if it wasn't sharp = What good is carrying a dull knife?
The other was for when he'd ask to "borrow" my knife, typically to do something like open a can of oil or pry open a lid = You don't expect me to do that with my knife?
I've left some decent knives at airports around the country....

Kmadden

New in Town
I am never without a pocket knife — usually my handy Case "Peanut," a cow-bone-handle knife with clip and pen blades.
A friend of mine opined that the practice of carrying a pocket knife began to decline in the early 20th Century when cigarette smoking overtook chewing tobacco. Many men no longer needed a pocket knife to cut off a piece of plug chewing tobacco.
Interesting theory.

The Case "Peanut" is a great little knife,I have had several in my collection in the past,also the older Winchester`s are great knives,good steel and they keep a good edge.American knives were some of the finest made.You just can not beat American made!!!

Mountain Man

A-List Customer
Case is the brand I have sworn by for my whole life - if going for a new one, be sure to get one that is designated "CV" for Chrome Vanadium - that is actually carbon steel, which takes and keeps an edge much better than stainless. If you must get a stainless blade, also get you an "Arkansas Red Stone" to sharpen it - that is about the only stone that will put a good edge on a stainless blade.

Weston

A-List Customer
They are. I just bought a "Stockman" from the local BX on my Air Force base. $37, yellow like Grandad's, and made in the US of A. Nice stuff.

willyk57

New in Town
Case knives sure are still made in the USA, they are made in Bradford PA, the same place as Zippo lighters. I will be visiting the Zippo / Case Museum on Saturday and looking for a new addition to the collection.

I have a few case knives and 95 percent of the time the knife I have in my pocket is a Case. They have a classic beauty that can be matched, in my opinion.

This one was a present from my brother and is the one I reach for if I am dressed up or at the office.
2012-09-12155630.jpg

Best Regards,
Willyk57

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
I feel naked without one! Whatsmore I can´t imagine how one can get through these times of hightech plastic packing and wrapping without a pocket knife?
Right now I am carrying a Böker Subcom folder. The one thing I put emphasis on is that it can be opened with one hand.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I was hoping to find a classically styled one of a similar size to your case there, but with a bow loop to attach to the end of my double albert watch chain. Currently my placeholder is a somehwat useless sovreign case which can't hold Canadian coins of any real value. I actually considered buying a nice looking metal-cased USB flash drive and carrying that around! Could come in handy in this day and age :D

DNO

One Too Many
I've always carried a pocket knife...essential equipment for any gentleman. Used to use an assortment of vintage knives but now I just carry a Leatherman Micra on my keychain and an Opinel #6 carbon in my other pocket. The Opinel is a lot lighter than most knifes and it takes a razor sharp edge...perfect for cutting those pesky plastic ties off my morning newspaper.

Mountain Man

A-List Customer
I am never without a pocket knife — usually my handy Case "Peanut," a cow-bone-handle knife with clip and pen blades.
A friend of mine opined that the practice of carrying a pocket knife began to decline in the early 20th Century when cigarette smoking overtook chewing tobacco. Many men no longer needed a pocket knife to cut off a piece of plug chewing tobacco.
Interesting theory.

Never heard that theory - I personally think that, in my neck of the woods, the decline of the pocket knife started when the schools began to ban them as "weapons" a few years ago. No man or boy was ever without a pocket knife when I was growing up - Dad always made sure he had his pocket knife, watch, and wallet before leaving the house!

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
Today people think of a knife as a weapon. I am used to people asking me if I want to murder someone or why would I carry a knife? Size doesn´t seem to matter as my pocketknife has only a blade of five centimeters. It doesn´t occur to them that knives are the most versatile tools ever, that said not until they need to cut or open something and ask me if they can borrow mine. :eusa_doh:
Like hats knives seem to be very much "old times" or an "old guys thing". [huh]

JanSolo

Practically Family
Here is my pocket knife along with my horsehide wallet. I carry it everyday and it's more than a decade old:

6862079890_bf42e8a4d1_z.jpg

It's a German "Hubertus" switchblade with hand forged damascus blade, stag scales and nickel silver bolsters. The blade is not stainless but has a really high HRC rating (62 Rockwell) and is razor sharp.
Lever-type switchblades like this one are a quite typical German design and they have been in production for more than a hundred years. The leaf spring on this knife is incredibly strong...when you activate the knife the blade produces a nice amount of kick-back. This is something my other switchblades don't do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner