Pocket Knife

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Jaxenro, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

I have probably 15 or 20 knives, maybe more, most of them small pocket knives I carried and then retired. After I have carried a knife for several years, and it has been through many adventures with me, I will retire it so it won't get lost. I can then look at it every several years and remember what we have been through together. As we age, I keep the knives in active service for longer periods of time as I find we have fewer memorable adventures together. That isn't a bad thing.

I also have several serious blades that can do damage. Don't carry those. My favorite is a standard Army combat knife the Fifth Special Forces Group at Dak To gave me during my year long vacation in sunny SE Asia many years ago. And my next to favorite is a hunting knife my wife gave me 3 or 4 years ago. Both of these knives stay sharpened and ready to go, out of respect to the ones who gave them to me, but they aren't carried.

Always on my belt is a Leatherman Tool. How I did without one until 30+ years ago is beyond me. I have about 6 of them, and they go everywhere with me, one at a time of course.

2. MarkStar

MarkStar New in Town

Ka-Bar Swashbuckler
    [​IMG]

Bfd70, GLewis, AbbaDatDeHat and 2 others like this.
  3. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

A nice knife and I love the stone—just beautiful.

MarkStar and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  4. MarkStar

MarkStar New in Town

Thank you.
    The stone is a "Viking Whetstone", it is a piece of Jasper which Vikings would use to hone their swords. I actually gave this one to a friend but I have a green and red one still which was pictured in one of my earlier photos.

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  5. MarkStar

MarkStar New in Town

Queen Canoe in Bone Stag
    [​IMG]

Preacher Man and BobHufford like this.
  6. HanauMan

HanauMan Practically Family

I still have a pocket knife that my father purchased in 1969, still boxed and unused to this day. Even has the receipt with it; it cost a whole $9. My father died a few years back so it is of sentimental value. It is a Stockman model Buck.

IMG_0200.JPG

7. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Greetings MarkStar:
    Very nices knives you have posted.
    Is this Jasper whetstone available somewhere? I’d love to find one similar.
    Thanks. Bowen

MarkStar likes this.
  8. MarkStar

MarkStar New in Town

I bought mine from ragweedforge.com a number of years ago. It seems he still carries them...

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  9. MarkStar

MarkStar New in Town

Amherst Cutlery Gentleman's Knife
    [​IMG]

HanauMan, alanfgag, Jimi3legs and 4 others like this.
  10. HanauMan

HanauMan Practically Family

My old two blade CASE pocket knife and oilstone, both from the 1970s.

IMG_0223.JPG

11. MarkStar

MarkStar New in Town

Northwoods Jackknife (made by Queen Cutlery)
    [​IMG]

12. Streak

Streak New in Town

I have a number of knives but since an unfortunate accident that destroyed a joint in my right thumb I now carry ball bearing flippers (Honey Badger Flipper) that are easy to open using my index finger. In my left pocket I carry a Zebralight flashlight.

Zebra1.s.jpg

13. busmatt

busmatt New in Town

1951 Dutch army jack knife

[​IMG]

Matt

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD

14. Kane

Kane One of the Regulars

6C3A77EF-4EC7-4C2C-AE2D-32FF0238C4B3.jpeg The Swiss Army knife has been my EDC ever since college when I worked at the REI store in Northridge, CA, where someone bought this knife, had the scale engraved with my name, and coincidently enough returned it upon which the warehouse manager passed it on to me. I can’t believe how long I’ve had it. It’s still working great.
    The Benchmade was a gift from my daughter a few years ago, and the Buck 110 is a recent aquisition, S90V drop point, nickel and blue Micarta. Nice, but a bit heavy for EDC. The old Swiss is always in my pocket.

15. William G.

William G. One of the Regulars

My dad died and left behind an entire dresser drawer with nothing except pocket knives in boxes, going back to the '80s. I don't know that I'd ever carry any of them, but someday I need to go through and get pictures of the collection.

I use to carry a Case XX three-blade knife, but then after 9/11 security got so tight I stopped so I wouldn't risk getting it confiscated. I've often debated whether to start carrying it again.

16. Rockwater

Rockwater A-List Customer

Just found this cool thread, so I’ll throw in two. The Kershaw, assisted opening 3” tanto blade, is always clipped in my front pocket. It’s so easy, useful and inexpensive (I have a couple of new ones for backup in case they cease production).
    The Koji Hara, a renown Japanese maker, is a different trip entirely. It’s made in a bamboo motif, with black lipped oyster scales and a mirror finish blade. A magnifier is needed for seeing the signature.
    This one has never seen my pocket, being totally impractical for my lifestyle, but a marvelous piece.
    A79DF28F-3A35-4EC3-9F1D-3EF6E2D46104.jpeg

04CE3AB4-2F1C-4CD5-BF23-84234DF34A48.jpeg
    Is there a dedicated thread for fixed blades?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    poetman, busmatt, HanauMan and 2 others like this.
  17. Twelvefret

Twelvefret New in Town

I carry either a vintage Boker Barlow or Case "whittler".

BobHufford likes this.
  18. alanfgag

alanfgag

Traditional Japanese friction folding knife with hand forged blade by Shosui Takeda. Stainless clad super Aogami steel with stag handle. The blade is about 2 3/4” long.

715B2E85-B4CD-409B-A5F8-DCDD4F178341.jpeg

78344962-16B9-4326-866A-15B447CE0555.jpeg

0738D04E-E747-4BAB-82F7-1ED2D6F7A06A.jpeg

711C5B4B-9BC4-4E71-BFFA-E06575EDAC9F.jpeg

80E145EF-30AA-4C9F-8B02-910B30F29CE3.jpeg

17ADDFFF-8B5C-44FA-B405-3D7186E62DE5.jpeg

19. steve u

steve u A-List Customer

Keeping with the Japanese theme...G.Sakai
    [​IMG] steve

20. bobm

bobm A-List Customer

Many beautiful knives here. What size is this one? How's that blade?