Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Square + Boutonniere

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
This is the black tie look that I ultimately hope to achieve, but I have heard that wearing a pocket square and boutonniere is a faux pas. What are your thoughts (if I were to wear both the PS would be white linen)?

1938novesker1.jpg

Pretty suave,huh? And on a side note,what do you think about the pocket square in the link posted? I would rather have a linen PS without the border,but this one is extremely budget friendly. If anyone can offer insight as to other places where one can get a white linen pocket square on the cheap, I'd appreciate it.

http://www.paulfredrick.com/catalog/PFCLProductDetails.aspx?Category=CLAccessories&ProductId=QUC152&MySearchString=&myOrderClause=&mySortClause=asc&FromProductCheckFlag=1&Callingpage=pfclcategory&Slno=1

I also plan on getting a red silk from Mens Wear House ($6.99 for a silk PS,hard to top that) to wear when not sporting a boutonniere.

inappropriate

New in Town
Whoever told you that - about the pocket square and boutonniere - was either a woman or a silly goosey. Don't listen to them.
Like everything else at Men's Wearhouse, the pocket squares are not worth the price. Would you buy rubbish $60 shoes instead of entry-level $150 shoes? If so, then whatever, bye, but if not, then why get a rubbish pocket square for $7 when you can get a proper one for $20?

You will never, ever, evereverevereverever achieve that "look" if you buy your apparel from the Men's Wearhouse.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
inappropriate said:
Whoever told you that - about the pocket square and boutonniere - was either a woman or a silly goosey. Don't listen to them.
Like everything else at Men's Wearhouse, the pocket squares are not worth the price. Would you buy rubbish $60 shoes instead of entry-level $150 shoes? If so, then whatever, bye, but if not, then why get a rubbish pocket square for $7 when you can get a proper one for $20?

You will never, ever, evereverevereverever achieve that "look" if you buy your apparel from the Men's Wearhouse.

Fully agree. The extra money dished out will well be worth it. I recently purchased a NOS mid-50s tie/pocket square combo, and I can see the difference between that relatively "common" 50s square, and the ones produced today. While some modern pocket squares are good looking, they do not achieve that "look." My question to you gents out there is this: is it a faux pas to wear a matching tie and pocket square? At least one modern writer of "fashion" has said so, but I'm not sure about it. The aforementioned tie/pocket square I bought are the same color and pattern, so somebody back in that decade obviously thought that it was alright.

Lensmaster

One of the Regulars
I think wearing both was discouraged because it can look too busy and appear that you're trying too hard to accessorize. But that doesn't mean it hasn't been done. In almost every movie I've seen Fred Astaire in he is wearing both a pocket square and boutonniere.

Cody Pendant

One of the Regulars
Don't blow your budget!

I highly recommend wearing both with black tie. You will be miles ahead of most if not all. I also like the edged pocket square. I have a white silk with black borders that i really like to sport with my dinner jackets. It is a subtle difference.
I like the pocket squares that you have selected and applaud your budgeting efforts. If i remember correctly, (forgive me if your not) you posted somewhere that you are a student, so don't blow your budget on a few trinkets. Build your wardrobe slowly. It is so easy to overspend. You might want to have money left over for dinner, tickets, gas etc.:D
I think you will enjoy the pocket squares no matter what the cost.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
It is classic.

You should be able to pick up an old linen hanky at any antique mall such place for a couple dollars.
And wear the flower also.

Geez. Where do you meet these people who always seem to give you dodgy advice??

Edward

Bartender
Erewhon said:
Don't wear a red carnation...

I'm also curious in this one. A white carantion was traditional, if memory serves (and I believe represents innocence); red was considered rather rakish and perhaps over-daring, but that seems like merely more of a reason to adopt it to my mind... lol

David V

A-List Customer
Erewhon said:
Don't wear a red carnation...

I'll be sure to inform Doug Fairbanks Jr. as it wa a signature item for him. With pocket square.

So many people wish to impose their preferance as if it were a well established style rule.

It has become a pet peeve of my on any of the menswear fora I visit. Some one will post if such and such works (such and such being a well established style practice) and someone has to say how they don't like it so you should never do that.

Dashing1

New in Town
Seriously, DO NOT wear matching ties & pocket squares. You will look like you stepped out of the NY Suit Exchange & that you were sold an outfit as a package, rather than artfully picking individual items out.

A pocket square is one of the few items with flair that a man can wear. It is an opportunity to express yourself artistically. You should have a square that complements your tie. Matching them shows a complete lack of creativity and is a bit "too perfect" (like wearing a pre-tied tie or a pre-folded pocket square).

Beauty lies in slight imperfections well-owned--it is true of women and true of attire.

Feraud

Bartender
Dashing1 said:
Seriously, DO NOT wear matching ties & pocket squares. You will look like you stepped out of the NY Suit Exchange & that you were sold an outfit as a package, rather than artfully picking individual items out.

A pocket square is one of the few items with flair that a man can wear. It is an opportunity to express yourself artistically. You should have a square that complements your tie. Matching them shows a complete lack of creativity and is a bit "too perfect" (like wearing a pre-tied tie or a pre-folded pocket square).

Beauty lies in slight imperfections well-owned--it is true of women and true of attire.
The flipside of this thought is people try to look so casual, dashing, and classic they look extremely contrived.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Nothing wrong with wearing both, though I would recommend a plain white or non-busy pocket square when wearing a boutonniere. Simple is better.

ballroomdance-1.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
thunderw21 said:
Nothing wrong with wearing both, though I would recommend a plain white or non-busy pocket square when wearing a boutonniere. Simple is better.

bullseye.jpg

Subvet642

A-List Customer
As for myself, I would never wear matching tie and pocket square for all the stated reasons of our fellow Loungers. However, I usually wear a very crisply pressed, very nice cotton hankerchief. I do it for a couple of reasons, but mostly because I can always offer it to a lady in need. A gentleman is always in style, if not in fashion.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Yes, I am sixteen, so I must budget everything quite carefully.

Cody Pendant said:
I highly recommend wearing both with black tie. You will be miles ahead of most if not all. I also like the edged pocket square. I have a white silk with black borders that i really like to sport with my dinner jackets. It is a subtle difference.
I like the pocket squares that you have selected and applaud your budgeting efforts. If i remember correctly, (forgive me if your not) you posted somewhere that you are a student, so don't blow your budget on a few trinkets. Build your wardrobe slowly. It is so easy to overspend. You might want to have money left over for dinner, tickets, gas etc.:D
I think you will enjoy the pocket squares no matter what the cost.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Saw it on another forum.

scotrace said:
It is classic.

You should be able to pick up an old linen hanky at any antique mall such place for a couple dollars.
And wear the flower also.

Geez. Where do you meet these people who always seem to give you dodgy advice??

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
thunderw21 said:

ballroomdance-1.jpg

Naturally. And great suit! I normally don't care for 6x1 DB's, but that is great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace