Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pocketbooks

olive bleu

One Too Many
My Mother-in-Law called all purses pocketbooks.I always thought of a pocketbook as specifically a clutch type purse.Not sure how acurate that is.

crwritt

One Too Many
Pocketbook is just a colloquial term for purse or handbag. Also mispronounced "pocabook", in my experience it is primarily used by people who still say "ain't", and send the kids out to play in the "dooryard".

Kassia

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
Yessah, that's zackly it. We take our pockabooks downt tha VFW hall on Satdy nites, play us some beano! Ayuh!

Ohh that's what you do after the Grange meeting... LOL... Hahahaha...
Have fun tonight!!!

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
It's a British term for the little book carried in your purse (or sold as part of your purse) in which you wrote your expenses and outgoings. Sort of the old version of getting a mini print out of the ATM to see how poor you are!

K

tuppence

Practically Family
Miss Sis said:
It's certainly not a term used in the UK or New Zealand, and I'd guess not in Australia either.

Actually, I'm glad someone brought this up as I'd always wondered about it. I guessed what it meant but it's nice to know more. :)

No in Australia we have a purse, which is what you put your money/cards in.
Your purse goes in your Handbag, which is what hangs off your shoulder.
And the men have a wallet, which goes in their back pocket. Never to be seen again.

So(correct me if I'm wrong) in America a pocketbook is a purse, and a purse is a handbag and in England a pocketbook is a notebook.

So guys don't hate me but what is Beano?

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's the original game of Bingo, where the players would mark their cards with beans.

And so when the salesman would say that this price is easy on the pocketbook it could mean the purse or the ledger where you wrote down your expenses, neat.
To further confuse, the current term in copy here is bag, even if it's hard, shaped like a box and made of Lucite :rolleyes:

Kassia

One of the Regulars
Hmmmm...
In Canada i put my money and my credit cards into a Wallet, then that goes into a Purse or Handbag...
What a mixed up world considering we all speak "english"!!!
And don't even get me started on the term fanny pack either... LOL...

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Kitty_Sheridan said:
It's a British term for the little book carried in your purse (or sold as part of your purse) in which you wrote your expenses and outgoings. Sort of the old version of getting a mini print out of the ATM to see how poor you are!

K

I'd call that a notebook. Never heard of it being called a pocketbook. [huh]

princessofcandl

One of the Regulars
I always thought that a "pocketbook" referred to what I called a Mom wallet. A pocketbook was the wallet & coinpurse & creditcard & checkbook combo. When I hear ladies (and usually small town little old ladies hehehe) ask for their pocketbook they take a mom wallet out of their purse. And I think in cultural terms you would keep your pocketbook in your handbag.

Foofoogal

Banned
I have always called a pocketbook a wallet that goes into a purse.
I am currently looking high and low for a new one. I had one I finally had to throw away. It was perfect with all kinds of slots and stuff.

fuzzylizzie

One of the Regulars
More confusion: My father always called his wallet a pocketbook, and I've heard other men (over the age of 70 or so) do the same.

Lizzie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot