Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocketwatches

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
You definitely have a problem there. I would contact the watch repair shop and tell him the problem. When a watch does not run in all positions or stops after only a few hours of operation then something is wrong. It could be dirt, the balance or a few other factors but something is wrong if you can't use it as a carry watch. I would send it back if I were you. A good watchmaker will always stand behind his work.

Just got the watch back today. He noticed it was messed up, too; and repaired it (and the back door which was opening up a bit by itself), for free. We'll see how it is now. I'm carrying it again so I should be able to tell tomorrow or the next day.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
My railroad watch is back, serviced and running fine :) It's punishing me right now for my carelessness by sitting on my desk and irritating me with its excessively loud ticking.

Shangas said:
My railroad watch is back, serviced and running fine :) It's punishing me right now for my carelessness by sitting on my desk and irritating me with its excessively loud ticking.

No more strange sounds coming from it?
Just the usual loud ticking. :D You'll get used to it; believe me---I have several mantle clocks around the house. You eventually get used to it and depend on them to tell you the time when you are lying in bed thinking about getting five more minutes of sleep until it chimes. ;)

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Just a quick watch-care question: I have two watch chains now, one with a spring loop to hook on a belt loop, and the other the classic T-bar. The spring loop chain has sentimental value, but it's so short that when I wear it with pants that don't have a watch pocket, the watch dangles in my pocket. Is this bad for the watch? As I said, it has sentimental value, so I'd rather not buy a longer chain to replace it; but if it's bad for the watch either I have to, or just can't carry a watch without a watch pocket. What do you say?

I'd say that the dangling watch question is mostly about time and use. While a watch is designed to be hung the stress and motion of being in the pocket may over time wear out the ring or distort it so you have problems.

It's like the keys in the ignition of your car: eventually the key wears down and won't work or the ignition lock gets worn, the more keys and items on the key ring with the car key the faster the wear occurs.

Support is almost always good for mechanical stuff.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
So far, two days in, and the watch is behaving fine. It's running about two minutes fast per day, but it's not really a concern. I'm using the pocket of my dress shirt when I don't have a watch pocket on my pants. But I don't think the occasional dangling chain will be too bad.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
My great grandfather's
P1080464.jpg

ssfilez

New in Town
I have been enticed by the pocket watches you have there. However, I think I prefer collecting them and keeping them at home to carrying one around. A plus one for Paris7's pocket watch because it looks elegant while retaining a not-too-flashy look.

Lonny

One of the Regulars
Hey guys,

My friend gave me a Russian Molijna(spelling?) pocket watch with a Soviet Order of the Red Banner award on the front cover and "Great Patriotic War 1941-1945" on the back with a Soviet star in the middle, its really great, I've always wanted a pocket watch and it comes in so handy.

Lonny.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I really need to get myself a small elegant silver (gold is beyond my means at the moment) pocket watch to wear with white tie.

I've found that some of the solid silver ones can cost equal, or even more, than the gold filled ones. I would recommend, as was suggested to me about a year ago, to look into a gold filled watch. No one knows that it's not solid unless you tell them, and there's no tarnishing to have to worry about. I got lucky, and located one that belonged to an unknown ancestor of mine; my only investment was repair costs.

I found my 15j Elgin (12 size) in an old box with a bunch of other junk watches; it was severely damaged, but it was able to repaired for about $200. It now also has the added personal value, for I know it was from my father's side, although I don't know exactly who they belonged to. I suspect a great-uncle or my great-grandfather.

Also in there was a very heavy pocket watch from Ingersoll (?). I'll pull it out and take some pictures. The case I believe may be silver, as it's quite tarnished. The dial is cracked, hands missing, case beat up, and the mainspring appears to be completely shot. Looks to be a 3/4 covered movement (terminology?). Do you guys think it's one worthwhile to be fixed up? I'll have some pics tonight or tomorrow.

Cheers,

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Solid silver can be just as expensive as solid gold (and likely just as rare). I agree with Flutey. The best bet is always gold-filled. It costs a fraction of the price and it still looks awesome.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Here's the watch I was referring to earlier. It's not an Ingersoll as I had thought for some reason. I don't actually see any name on the movement, nor can I see any jewel markings, or serial numbers on the movement. The case only has a maker's name as in the picture of the case. No content listing on it.

I don't know if it's a junk watch or a quality one. It's missing many features that ordinarily identify better ones, but it's also heavy, and intricately engraved, with a crystal that doesn't feel like plastic.

Any insight?

Thanks,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner