Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocketwatches

dnjan

One Too Many
When you clip your watch chain to a belt loop, be careful when you walk through doorways. If you brush too close to the doorway, you can catch the watchchain on the latchplate.

(I know this sounds dumb, but trust me - I have caught a watchchain more than once.)

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
dnjan said:
When you clip your watch chain to a belt loop, be careful when you walk through doorways. If you brush too close to the doorway, you can catch the watchchain on the latchplate.

(I know this sounds dumb, but trust me - I have caught a watchchain more than once.)

That's happened to me once or twice...

Paris7

New in Town
with pride and panache! here's my railroad fob found in a Frankfurt junk shop of all places - I love it.
Watch.jpg
The fun has been hunting for hunters in the Paris flea markets.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I must wear a pocket watch. The shock imparted to both my arms from blacksmithing destroys wrist watches. This is an arrangement I find totally suitable since I prefer a pocket watch anyway.

I usually don't wear mine on a chain anymore, I use a fob. It hangs out of the watch pocket if what I'm wearing has one, and if I don't have a watch pocket it makes it easier to fish out of a regular pocket (or my sporran if I'm kilted.)

Cobden

Practically Family
There are a couple of others ways I would add:

1) With a double breated waistcoat, wear it in the button hole, and place the watch in the pocket furthest away
2) In a formal-ish British military uniform (such as Service Dress), T bar goes in the top pocket, watch goes in top left pocket
3) Tied on a pieace of string and stuck in a side pocket (very commonly done by tommies in WWI and WWII!)

Drew Bergstrom

New in Town
Pocketwatch Questions

I have a vintage Elgin pocketwatch that I picked up maybe 10 years ago for about $120 USD.

Sometime ago she quit running, and would not wind.

I took her into a local watch shop, and the guy told me that it would cost about $150.00 USD to clean her, and that she should work fine after that; he also told me that she was in great shape and that if she weren't in such good shape it probably wouldn't be worth cleaning.

I've never had a watch cleaned or repaired before. Does this price sound reasonable?

Drew

I have a formal watch that I just dropped off to get cleaned (also a vintage Elgin, great grandfather's), and get the band replaced with something a little more fresh -- black saltwater croc.

All told, it's about 200 total. The guy is supposed to be the best in town, and all the collectors I know who are clients of mine take to him.

I've never dealt with anyone else, and I'm assuming it's reasonable, so your doesn't sound too far off mark. A good cleaning will really extend the life of your watch.

Mark from Plano

One of the Regulars
Just had two pocket watches cleaned. $135 each. So $150 sounds good IF the watchmaker is good. If you trust the guy, then the price is ok. If not, then no price is OK.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I asked a similar question but about my grandfather's wrist watch a year or so ago - the main spring broke and I took it to several jewelers and watch shops and all would open it up and say, "Uh, there's no battery in here." Duh - I told you at the start or when I called it was an old watch and probably needed a new spring. Every one of them completely puzzled and perplexed as if I had driven into a 1800's livery stable and asked them to replace the fanbelt on my Chevy.

Anyway, several FL'ers pointed me to Renaissance Watch Repair. They fixed it fast and reasonable (nowhere near the number you mentioned, but it could be different dealing with a pocket watch vs. wrist watch) and I had absolutely no problems.

jdelamar

New in Town
Pocket watch

Probably not too bad a price, I own five pocket watches of which only 3 are running. My jeweler sent one of mine to Dallas three or four years ago and seems as if it cost me about that much. Trying to find a repairman is hard, especially here in Arkansas. Hope you get it fixed as they are fun to use.

Drew Bergstrom

New in Town
I'd like to thank everyone for their input. I feel much better abouthaving told the jeweler to "go ahaead and clean it".

When I get my watchback, he will also provide me with info on the make and model of the watch and exactly when it was made.

I'm really interested in finding out more about this timepiece.

--Drew

Just make sure that the 'cleaning' involves a true and full deconstruction of the watch. Often times, jewelers will just clean the watch as it is, instead of taking out every mechanism for a through cleaning.

Drew Bergstrom

New in Town
CharlestonBows said:
Just make sure that the 'cleaning' involves a true and full deconstruction of the watch. Often times, jewelers will just clean the watch as it is, instead of taking out every mechanism for a through cleaning.

Well I know the watch is being sent out; he has a guy who comes in once a week to pick up watches and the like. I assume his guy will deconstruct the watch, but I'll have to double check.

Drew

Mark from Plano

One of the Regulars
CharlestonBows said:

Agreed. If he's charging you $150 to do a cleaning without taking the watch apart and cleaning each piece then it's a bad deal.

K

kpreed

My pocket watch cost (1914 Elgin) $125 for a cleaning and oiling, so he is not far off base I think. I would find out what will be done for that much though, It maybe, they will just drop it in an ultrasound cleaner and that is not worth the cost believe me. Ask first and if not happy, keep looking.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I have yet to get my one and only pocket watch cleaned, but fairly recently I took a vintage wristwatch into my local shop to get cleaned. The owner told me that part of their cleaning included the replacing of the main spring. I'm not sure if that was just for wristwatches, or if this shop also does that for pocket watches. If that is the case, that may make the price just a little bit higher as well.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What you mentioned about the watch quitting running and refusing to wind is interesting. No doubt a little "thingy" broke or got out of sync. No doubt a watch guy could fix that in minutes without complete disassembly and cleaning. Back in the windable watch era I compared the "cleaning" to the car dealers' "undercoating." Neither is absolutely but the give you the hard sell because it' profitable.[huh]

Dr Trinidad

One of the Regulars
Also try old watch .com they deal in old watches and repairs. I know this is an old thread but just thought I would throw the info out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran