Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocketwatches

cowboy76

Suspended
Guys, heads up on pocket watches on ebay,....I dont want anyone to fall into the same thing a buddy of mine has fallen into. Avoid a seller by the name of "dollarwatchcompany"! He's also got a website. he seems nice on his website and even has some good feedback, you'd never think the guy was so mean and nasty!!??
My buddy bid and won an old pocket watch from him, I took a look and in the photos the watch appears to have a gold tone to it in EVERY photo, there was no mention in the description about the metal of the watch, and I'd say after looking at the photos myself, you'd never think to question it being that the photos are so clear and crisp. When he got it, it turned out to be nothing more than plain steel, or nickle plated possibly, I'mnot sure, but its certainly NOT the color it appears in the photos. Also, there was a bad tarnish on the one side as if it was either a wear mark or possibly even heated at that point for a repair where the little loop is above the winder/setter knob. In addition to that, there are semi-circular gouges on the top of the watch, and both of those problems were never shown in any of the photos OR mentioned in the auction's description!

The worst part is now he's going through paypal and the seller is saying he made a paypal claim, when he didnt, and also has given my buddy a few insulting emails with foul language in them. All this over a pocket watch, and the first he contacted the seller, he just asked if there was any chance he was sent the wrong watch? [huh] I would hate to see someone else have to deal with this guy from what I've seen this guy do!!

cowboy76

Suspended
Feraud said:
You are only limited by your imagination! More to the point... Many chains came with fobs that could be pieces of semi-precious stones in a "spinner" styled setting. There are so many variations that include cigar cutters, lockets w/photos, watch keys, coins, sporting accessories, animal teeth or claws, mechanical pencils, etc. These are just examples I have owned and seen in person. The variations are limitless and fascinating.

Here is a bad picture of a few of my chains.

I really should get better photos to post.

I'm starting to regularly wear a pocket watch with chain with my overalls, dress shirt and tie. I've noticed that there are some really interesting watch chains and fobs out there, and very inexpensive too!:D I'll tell ya though, I guess the overall companies think people just dont utilize the old pocket watch pocket anymore, because I've ha to alter it to fit my pocket watch into!! Oh well,....

dnjan

One Too Many
de Stokesay said:
Dnjan, I am curious just what is so worn in your watch. Unless it is an extremely scarce watch I would think that parts might be found somewhere to replace the worn ones, as a watch is just a collection of parts after all.
I was told that the wear was around the stem (? - the thing that goes in and out for winding and setting). So I just don't wear that watch with pants having cotton poskets.

That watch is an Elgin. Octogon shape. No idea of age, but I got it from my father-in-law (I'm 50-ish), and he got it from his grandfather. So probably early 1900's?

Feraud

Bartender
cowboy76 said:
I guess the overall companies think people just dont utilize the old pocket watch pocket anymore, because I've ha to alter it to fit my pocket watch into!! Oh well,....
Right. The function has lost touch with the form. :)

Here are better pics of my chains.

DSC03732.jpg

DSC03733.jpg

DSC03737.jpg

DSC03739.jpg

DSC03742.jpg

DSC03743.jpg

DSC03746.jpg

K

kpreed

Drew Bergstrom said:
Well, I got my pocketwatch back yesterday, and it works like a charm.:)

Additionally I learned that she's one of a run of 8,000 watches made in 1927. I'm going to oke around and see what else I can learn. Does anyone have a good link for info on Elgin watches?

Drew
If you do not know already, here is a good site:http://elginwatches.org/databases/index.html
I found out my Elgin was made in 1914.
Bad news for me. My hands shake ( Ataxia), so that winding became a total joke. My Son got my Elgin and I went with a new battery pocket watch. Oh well!

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
My Great-Grandfather's Watch

My great-grandfather's pocket watch is finally back from the repair shop, after over seven months there. It's a Ball 17-jewel stem-wound railroad pocket watch. He never worked on the railroad, but he owned a cotton gin in Mississippi and did enormous amounts of business shipping his cotton by rail. According to the family story, this watch was given to him by the railroad as a token of appreciation.

My mother had always assumed this meant the watch was from at least the '30s, if not earlier (he was born in 1879). However, from everything I've been able to find out about the watch, it seems no earlier than the '50s, when the Record Watch Company of Switzerland made watches for Ball. Ball was American company that never actually made watches itself, but sold rebadged watches made by other companies like Hamilton, Elgin, and, later, Record. It seems odd that this watch is that late, as my great-grandfather died in 1954.

In any case, it's one of the coolest things I've ever received and I'm delighted to have such a link to my past.

DSC00610.jpg
DSC00612.jpg

Dagwood

Practically Family
That is a great looking watch. Enjoy it!

Interesting that the railroad give the watch to your great-grandfather. Wikipedia notes: "In 1891 there was a collision between Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railways at Kipton, Ohio which occurred because an engineer's watch had stopped. The railroad officials commissioned Webb C. Ball as their Chief Time Inspector, in order to establish precision standards and a reliable timepiece inspection system for Railroad chronometers. [¬?] He established strict guidelines for the manufacturing of sturdy, reliable precision timepieces, including resistance to magnetism, reliability of time keeping in 5 positions, isochronism, power reserve and dial arrangement, accompanied with record keeping of the reliability of the watch on each regular inspection."

Again, great looking watch Orgetorix!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I keep coming back to this thread to admire the pictures. What a great watch.

There must be some kind of unknown in the tale for it to be manufactured outside the time frame that fits. I hope Michaelson stops by here soon.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Congratulations, Orgetorix! That's an amazing piece. Wear it with pride.

Your next purchase needs to be a 'leather Albert' (scroll about halfway down) so you can join the Bertie Wooster wannabe club with me (note strap coming from lapel buttonhole):

1123963449_20.jpg

I was given my grandfather's retirement watch recently, but it's from the early 80s, and really not particularly nice. Still, it's the sentimental value that matters as there would be no selling it, anyway.

kschurch

Vendor
Hey Orgetorix,

Beautiful watch! Made all the better that it came from your grandfather. Pocket watches are such wonderful pieces, the extra effort to wear them is worth it.

I have both of my Grandfather's watches...a late 30's Waltham Premire tank watch form my Mothers side and a really cool 50's LeCoultre which features a mechanical alarm from my Fathers side. Those two got me started on lifelong addition.

Thanks for sharing!

Bama Mike

Familiar Face
My "new" pocket watch

I saw a similar thread posted by Orgetorix and I thought I would share a similar one. I received this Hamilton pocket watch for Christmas this year. It belonged to my great-grandfather who carried it with him everyday to work as a crane operator at Anderson Tully Lumber Company in Vicksburg, Mississippi until his death in 1939. My grandfather then inherited it and carried it until his death in 2002. I've wanted the watch since but my grandmother has been slow to give away some of this things so out of respect for her I didn't ask. A couple of months ago I wrote her a letter telling her of my desire to have the watch. She gave it to my mother who presented it to me this Christmas. I found a local watchmaker who is servicing it and it will hopefully be ready today. I hope it comes back with a bright shine and better than ever. It's been running the better part of a century and hopefully with great care it will run for another century and I'll be able to pass it down to my child. BTW, any advice on the best way to wear this. I'm in the market for some three piece suits. Other than that, is a chain attached to the belt the best way to go?

100_1540.jpg
[/IMG]
100_1535.jpg
[/IMG]
100_1533.jpg
[/IMG]

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Hi Mike,

"Topbroker" from those other boards here! What a great pocket watch. I've got a couple myself and I'm on the outlook for more. They do work very well with three-piece suits, and I'm sure there are experts here who can share pictures of some of the possibilities in that way, especially when you add a fob to the chain as well. I've got a nice miniature gold pocket knife fob to go with my antique gold watch and chain.

My other pocket watch is a large dimension modern watch in silver (bought at, of all places, J.C. Penney). It has a substantial chain and a clip which I do attach to the trouser waist of my two-piece suits. I keep the watch in the left trouser pocket and attach the clip either under my belt or within the visual loop made by my left brace tab, if I'm wearing braces. The silver chain against a dark suit looks very sharp, I think. I do think this approach works best with a watch that's substantial in size; a smaller pocket watch doesn't seem as suited for a trouser pocket as it does for a more appropriately sized vest pocket.

Bama Mike

Familiar Face
Patrick Murtha said:
Hi Mike,

"Topbroker" from those other boards here! What a great pocket watch. I've got a couple myself and I'm on the outlook for more. They do work very well with three-piece suits, and I'm sure there are experts here who can share pictures of some of the possibilities in that way, especially when you add a fob to the chain as well. I've got a nice miniature gold pocket knife fob to go with my antique gold watch and chain.

My other pocket watch is a large dimension modern watch in silver (bought at, of all places, J.C. Penney). It has a substantial chain and a clip which I do attach to the trouser waist of my two-piece suits. I keep the watch in the left trouser pocket and attach the clip either under my belt or within the visual loop made by my left brace tab, if I'm wearing braces. The silver chain against a dark suit looks very sharp, I think. I do think this approach works best with a watch that's substantial in size; a smaller pocket watch doesn't seem as suited for a trouser pocket as it does for a more appropriately sized vest pocket.

Good info. I thought I would be able to pick up the watch today, but the watchmaker left it in the safe at the jewelry store and he won't be back there until Wednesday. I'm looking for a nice chain to wear. The one I currently have is a cheap one that once was gold tone plated and it has all rubbed off - just an old chain my grandfather had. I've seen a few nice ones online but haven't run across one at any stores.

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
Very nice watch! I have a 1942 Waltham railroad watch that looks similar. It's out for minor repair, and I can't wait to get it back in the watch pocket of my bib overalls;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy