Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocketwatches

DerMann

Practically Family
I'm looking for a bit of advice...

I bought a 1912 open face Elgin pocket watch (7 jewels), and it keeps great time - as long as I don't carry it.

For whatever reason, I produce enough movement to stop the watch in my jacket's inside breast pocket with everyday activity. I'm not even talking about walking. I'll sit down at my desk, check my watch, notice that it has stopped, fix the time, and replace it in my jacket pocket (I lower it down, I don't drop it in). About an hour later, I'll notice that the time stopped just after I had put it in my pocket.

If I leave it alone on my desk, it'll go for a day or so before I have to rewind it.

I've been meaning to take it to a jeweller, but I've noticed the cost of cleaning a pocket watch is several times the price I paid for it ($150 vs. the $40 I paid for it).

It's such a lovely watch, too D:

Edward

Bartender
DerMann said:
I've been meaning to take it to a jeweller, but I've noticed the cost of cleaning a pocket watch is several times the price I paid for it ($150 vs. the $40 I paid for it).

It's a lot like buying a vintage suit for a song, then spending more on alterations than it cost.... Naturally I'd be wary of spending more than the watch is worth on having it fixed (presuming it doesn't have overriding sentimental value) - I'd have it valued before I did anything with it. Assuming it wouldn't be spending over the odds, however, in terms of market value of the watch (as opposed to what you actually paid), I should have thought it would be worth it though for the sake of having a running watch that you can actually rely on?

Feraud

Bartender
DerMann- your watch probably needs a cleaning.
I would get it cleaned and enjoy it.

I am currently looking for someone in the NYC area that works on vintage timepieces. My mechanicals are due for a cleaning.

dnjan

One Too Many
Just curious - is it keeping time when in the horizontal position (flat, on your desk), and then stopping when in the vertical position (in your posket)? In addition to a cleaning, it probably needs an overhaul to account for wear. Take it to a watch repairman, describe the problem, and ask what he thinks.

dnjan

One Too Many
Yes, that was my fear. A cleaning would be good, but my watches slow down and stop whether in my pocket on flat on the dresser when they need to be cleaned. In your case wear may be playing a role as well.

A good watch repairman will open it up and take a look for minimal cost. The ones I have run into are still from the generation/mindset that service is a long-term investment in a customer. Probably why watch repairmen are so hard to find ...

Moby

Familiar Face
If your pocket watch runs dial up on the desk and then quits immediately when put in a stem up position, it is most likely something mechanical. The most common problem with this result would be a broken lower balance pivot. There are other possibilities, like a broken balance jewel. A watch that needs a cleaning but that has no other mechanical problems would run poorly in all positions.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Feraud said:
I am proud to show off this recently acquried item.
A watch chain made of human hair.
A Victorian Era piece of jewelry. I do not think they were made much into the 20th century. Woven by women and given to men as keepsakes and within families are heirloom pieces. There are beautiful woven examples of brooches, necklaces, rings, framed designs, etc.
My apologies but there is some detail missing in the weave I did not catch in this photograph.
DSC04187.jpg

There are artists today who keep this mostly lost art alive.

Besides being made for keepsakes to loved ones, these were also made as mourning jewelry. The hair was clipped from a deceased loved one.

I have a really intricate mourning brooch woven from hair. It's a bow shape on top of a beaded shape that I can only describe as looking like the tip of a peacock feather with beaded tendrils hanging down from it.

The practice of making jewelry from hair continued into the early 20th century, but really died out with the 1920s, when all the "old" fashions of the previous decades went out of vogue for more "modern & free" fashions.

Feraud

Bartender
BeBopBaby said:
Besides being made for keepsakes to loved ones, these were also made as mourning jewelry.
You are correct. I neglected to add that distinction.

If possible please post a picture of your brooch. I would like to see it.

DerMann

Practically Family
Pocket Watch Cleaning

As I've said before on previous threads, I bought an Elgin 16s pocket watch from eBay some time ago, only to find that it could not keep time when in the vertical position.

After months of having it lay on my desk, I found a link to a watchmaker's website who offered complete cleaning of antique pocket watches for less than half of what all the other watchmakers charge. They are owned and operated by a father and son, both watchmakers.

I am not affiliated with the watchmakers, I'm just an extremely satisfied customer. The watch looks and operates better than the new production pocket watch I used to have. Unlike cheaper jewelers, they actually disassemble the watch, remove the entire movement and bathe it in an ultrasonic machine. The case and dial are also cleaned and polished to a like new finish.

There is no way I could be more satisfied with this service, and I know that a few loungers may also benefit from their services, as they do accept watches through the mail.

Here's a link to their website, which has more contact information and pricing:

www.paulswatchandclockrepair.com

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the tip. I will keep them in mind. Like many others here, I question who to send one of my many watches to when they need a little TLC. The ability to find vintage watch repair/cleaners just gets harder and harder with each passing year.

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
I have an early 30's Elgin that Pocket Watch that I need to have serviced, so I certainly appreciate the information.

Feraud

Bartender
Fyi-
I recently brought my grandfather's 1957 Bulova for a cleaning and repair to the Central Watch Band Stand in Grand Central Terminal in NYC.
Located at the 45th Street Passage between tracks 38 & 39.
The watch is back from the shop and in good working order.

Talbot

One Too Many
Thanks for the link

Interesting to see they redial watches. I have been using an outfit in Texas for dials, but they have been hard to contact lately. Could be usefull.

Reg'ds

Talbot

Fedora64

New in Town
I need a pocket watch...

Does anybody make a good mechanical pocket watch that doesn't show the inner watch parts? I would really like to have a solid watch face instead of being able to see the internal watch parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner