Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocketwatches

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Where to wear a pocket watch:

1. Waistcoat pocket.

Natural place. This is where they were usually worn 'in the good old days'.

2. Trouser pocket.

You put your watch in your 'fifth pocket', the watch pocket, and put the chain on your belt-loop. If your trousers do not have a watch-pocket, or the pocket is too small...

3. Breast-pocket of coat.

Watch goes into the breast-pocket of your coat, and the chain goes through the lapel button-hole. Alternatively, the chain goes through a buttonhole of your coat, and the watch goes into a pocket inside the opposite side of the coat (if that makes any sense), stretching across the chest/abdomen (depending on which buttonhole you pick).

4. Breast pocket of shirt.

Watch goes into the breast pocket of your dress-shirt and the chain goes through the buttonhole nearest to the top of the pocket (usually the 2nd or 3rd down from the throat). This is how I wear my pocket watches.

--- --- ---

Hey Rich, how about a picture of your new watch? Here are mine:

DSC06087.jpg

DSC06094.jpg

R.A. Stewart

Familiar Face
My title was worded a little ambiguously now that I think about it--"got" in the sense of "I've got" rather than "I just got," if that makes any sense. :) It's the watch my dad gave me many years ago, so besides being a good and stylish timepiece it has great sentimental value. I'll have to see if I can borrow my daughter's digital camera--I'm, ahem, vintage about these things. :rolleyes:

Nice pair of watches, Shangas!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Aaah...Well show us the watch, anyway! I'm a sucker for a nice pocket watch. And thanks. The lower set is my Jazz Age pair. The hunter case watch is from 1926 and the pen is from about the same period (mid 1920s, not sure exactly when). It was representative of the gold, vest-pocket pens that existed in the period. It writes very well and makes a fine watch-fob.

bpworks

New in Town
Pocket Watch Care

All of these are excellent suggestions. I think the cost of having a watchpocket put in your trousers could be prohibitive, but it is at least worth a shot. Possibly could get multiple pricing. Certainly do not let them talk you into putting a pocket on the inside of the waist band.

You did not mention whether you could attach your chain to a belt loop near your pocket. That would at least protect it from falling out & being damaged. Might also check with some watch shops. In years past there were some very interesting solutions.

Good luck

filfoster

One Too Many
Pocket pool

I wear mine with the fob fastened to a belt loop, just stashed in the right trouser pocket. No one has worn a vest here since the mid-(19)'80's. But, it's Cincinnati. Perhaps they have come and gone many times since. Papers here tell of the demise of flared trousers and bell bottoms, though Robert Hall and Richman Brothers seem to have window displays of them.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Not all, but lots of trousers have an inside pocket, located at the bottom, inside either the left or right front pocket. I believe the intended use is for change. That is where my pocket watch usually goes, absent a watch pocket or a vest. My change goes inside a squeezable plastic coin purse. :D

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
The problem I find with my pocket watch is not so much where to wear it, but how to access it when wearing an overcoat. If it's in my waistcoat this would mean I'd have to open my coat up which can be impractical when walking down the street. If I wear it in m trouser pocket the problem is still there. In my breast pocket means I can't access it when I take my jacket off.

As a result I only wear my pocket watch in warmer weather when I have no overcoat on and can therefore access my pocket watch more easily. I also find it more comfortable as my wrist watch can get a bit warm on my wrist in hot weather.

However, the vast majority of the time I wear my wrist watch over my pocket watch. It's modern (though with a classic look having a leather strap and and simple analoge dial) and lacks the style of a pocket watch; but I've had it for nearly four years and it still works fine and it's one of the few cases where I prefer practicality over style as I often look at the time and I like the fact that my watch is always on me, even if I take my jacket or waistcoat off.

filfoster

One Too Many
Watch the watch

avedwards said:
However, the vast majority of the time I wear my wrist watch over my pocket watch. It's modern (though with a classic look having a leather strap and and simple analoge dial) and lacks the style of a pocket watch; but I've had it for nearly four years and it still works fine and it's one of the few cases where I prefer practicality over style as I often look at the time and I like the fact that my watch is always on me, even if I take my jacket or waistcoat off.

Not to detour the thread but it is lamentable that the current generation disdain watches entirely, relying instead on their cell phones. What a shame.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Filfoster if it makes you feel any better, I'm only 22 (if that counts as the 'current generation'). I've worn a pocket watch for the past 18 months straight and before then I wore a wristwatch (if you call keeping it in my pocket 75% of time 'wearing' it). I find pocket watches easier to read, more stylish and just plain cool.

Not all, but lots of trousers have an inside pocket, located at the bottom, inside either the left or right front pocket. I believe the intended use is for change. That is where my pocket watch usually goes, absent a watch pocket or a vest. My change goes inside a squeezable plastic coin purse

Wrong. It's a watch-pocket, and always has been.

filfoster

One Too Many
Hope For the Future

Shangas said:
Filfoster if it makes you feel any better, I'm only 22 (if that counts as the 'current generation'). I've worn a pocket watch for the past 18 months straight and before then I wore a wristwatch (if you call keeping it in my pocket 75% of time 'wearing' it). I find pocket watches easier to read, more stylish and just plain cool.

I am glad to get at least your testimonial! I am afraid you are swimming against the tide.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
filfoster said:
Not to detour the thread but it is lamentable that the current generation disdain watches entirely, relying instead on their cell phones. What a shame.
As I previously said, I find pocket watches impractical in winter. However, I couldn't stand using a phone as a watch. Phones are there for phoning and sending text messages only for me. Not for games, photos or for telling the time. I can't stand digital screens anyway, so I prefer an alalogue wrist watch on that basis.

As for the current generation, I am an anomaly (I'm 17). So often I am asked what time it is as my friends don't wear wrist watches and have left their phones with their jackets.

dnjan

One Too Many
Shangas said:
Some makers actually make a change pocket inside the regular, right-hand (at least on my pants) pocket. On mine, it is towards the forward edge of the pocket, at the bottom. It is not the correct dimensions for larger pocket-watches, but does keep change under control better.

I actually use mine to keep my pocketknife under control, so it isn't banging into my pocketwatch, which is hanging by a chain from a belt loop in my pocket.

dnjan

One Too Many
avedwards said:
The problem I find with my pocket watch is not so much where to wear it, but how to access it when wearing an overcoat. If it's in my waistcoat this would mean I'd have to open my coat up which can be impractical when walking down the street.
If you have a button (not zipper) overcoat, you should be able to reach in between the overcoat buttons.
I use the same approach to access my buspass, which I keep in a shirt pocket.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
dnjan said:
If you have a button (not zipper) overcoat, you should be able to reach in between the overcoat buttons.
I use the same approach to access my buspass, which I keep in a shirt pocket.
I usually keep the top button of my SB greatcoat undone so I can access my wallet and phone (which are in my inside jacket pockets). However, my double breasted trenchcoat causes a problem, as I would wear my pocket watch lower than the belt of the coat fastens.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
filfoster said:
I am glad to get at least your testimonial! I am afraid you are swimming against the tide.

I've been swimming against the tide since I was five years old, I'm used to it!

relying instead on their cell phones. What a shame.

I certainly wouldn't do that. My 110-year-old Waltham keeps better time than my cellphone, and I mean that literally.

Regarding how to wear a watch...

If it is wintertime and you've got all kinds of layers and stuff on, I do it like this: If you've got a big, winter coat which has buttons & buttonholes on it, with inside pockets on the buttonhole side of the coat, I put my watch into that pocket and then put the T-bar of the Albert chain through the FRONT of the nearest buttonhole (to keep things neat). It makes the watch nice and accessible and it doesn't get in the way of keeping you nice and warm.

dnjan

One Too Many
avedwards said:
I usually keep the top button of my SB greatcoat undone so I can access my wallet and phone (which are in my inside jacket pockets). However, my double breasted trenchcoat causes a problem, as I would wear my pocket watch lower than the belt of the coat fastens.
Makes sense. I hadn't thought of the belt. Yet another reason to search out those three- and four-pocket waistcoats so you can put the watch in an upper pocket for cold-weather commuting and back to a lower pocket when once inside.

number6

Familiar Face
watch carry

R M Williams catalogue online shows two leather watch holders (small and large)
which may meet your need, page 31 or 32 I think.

Paul.

John Warr

Familiar Face
Watch carry

Waistcoat pocket every time. Just have a waistcoat for every occasion :)
The trouble with having the chain running from one's belt to a trouser pocket is threefold.
1) One looks like a prison guard
2)The chain will inevitably catch on a door handle, bringing one up short and potentially damaging watch, chain and pocket.
3) The watch will fall out of one's pocket and fly behind one's motorcycle like a demented fishing lure. This will also do the watch no good at all.

DAMHIKTIJKIOK?

Putting a watch pocket into a leather waistcoat -20UKP.
Replacing grandpa's pocket watch - priceless :)

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
1) One looks like a prison guard
2)The chain will inevitably catch on a door handle, bringing one up short and potentially damaging watch, chain and pocket.
3) The watch will fall out of one's pocket and fly behind one's motorcycle like a demented fishing lure. This will also do the watch no good at all.

None of these things has ever happened to me. I don't see why looking like a prison guard would be a problem, especially since such persons don't exist anymore, since replaced by correctional institutional corrections-officers...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner