Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poirot Inspired Lapel Vase

undertaker

Practically Family
Greetings,

I have recently discovered the Masterpiece Poirot Series and fell in love with it. I have admired the vase he wears for some time and even remember reading about it on another thread from some time ago. I have searched for a "tussie mussie" like Poirot's and have had no luck. I even contacted the jeweler who made the one for the series and they only offer one that is a far cry from the one he wears. So here is what I have come up with. Please let me know what you think.

tussie002.jpg

Thanks,
J.S.

undertaker

Practically Family
Thanks So Much. I took a couple of worn silver coins, rolled them on a rolling mill, then I began heating and hammering on a small anvil till I got it the way I wanted it. This one took me a few hours to build. I am taking this one to a friend who is an artist and he is going to carve it in wax, make a mold, and then cast one in sterling silver. I may add a decorative design on the vase, wheat or some such the like, maybe a shield for engraving...... who knows.

Thanks,
J.S.

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
undertaker said:
Thanks So Much. I took a couple of worn silver coins, rolled them on a rolling mill, then I began heating and hammering on a small anvil till I got it the way I wanted it. This one took me a few hours to build. I am taking this one to a friend who is an artist and he is going to carve it in wax, make a mold, and then cast one in sterling silver. I may add a decorative design on the vase, wheat or some such the like, maybe a shield for engraving...... who knows.

Thanks,
J.S.
Congratulations on the successful outcome! I wish I was that skilled with metalworking

Bugsy

One Too Many
undertaker said:

Thanks,
J.S.

:eusa_clap My most sincere congratulations on your accomplishment. I have absolutely not talent in that area. I'm luck I can work the ZipLok tops on my Glad Bags. [huh] Beautiful job.:eusa_clap

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Good job!

Bugsy said:
:eusa_clap I'm lucky I can work the ZipLock tops on my Glad Bags. [huh]
Hey, those ziplocks can be a bitch..:eek: ..On the other hand I once took a jewelry making class and you'd be surprised what an idiot (Moi') can produce with rudimentary instruction and some basic equipment.[huh]

theinterchange

One Too Many
I've been a Poirot fan for quite some time, so it's always interesting to see what other fans come up with in terms of "props" and such.

I really like what you've done, Undertaker. You have seen the episode which explains how he got the lapel vase, haven't you?

Randy

undertaker

Practically Family
Methuselah said:
WOW, nice work. How big is it? And how does it fasten - some knid of brooch pin?

Please post pictures of the cast version too when you get it.

It measures 2.25 inches by 1 inch and fastens witha regular brooch style pin. I will post one of the cast as soon as It gets done. If there is enough interest I may get him to cast me a few, so please let me know and I will also try to get some idea of a price.

Thanks,
J.S.

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
I don't think I could carry the look off myself - my vintage inspiration is more All Creatures Great and Small - tweed in the dales rather than Death on the Nile! lol

But I do enjoy tinkering with silver work, and I'd like to see your progress from original to the finished cast. Fascinating stuff.

EDIT: I've just recalled there was an old thread about these, here it is:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=39865

theinterchange

One Too Many
Methuselah said:
I don't think I could carry the look off myself - my vintage inspiration is more All Creatures Great and Small - tweed in the dales rather than Death on the Nile! lol

At least you're not inspired by the wardrobe of The Good Life
article-1158409-03B68927000005DC-752_468x296.jpg

Get a load of those plaid pants on Jerry! :p

Randy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24