Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Police/Security Leather Jackets?

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Hey Guys,

Long time, no post. I have recently taken over a K9 training facility, and before I know it we are finding ourselves in prisons, etc. running security details and drug sweeps. I am looking for a sleek, professional, customizable leather jacket that is under $500 for our team. Any ideas?

Man I don't know but I will say if I were in your shoes I'd want a Vanson comp weight jacket. Thick and stiff as steel. Maybe they cut a deal to folks in your profession? I don't know but that's where I'd look.

Peacoat

Bartender
Johnson Leathers has a good collection of police/moto jackets. You can get them as sleek as you like. I think their standard jacket is right at $500 if you can wear it off the rack. Allan will do minor mods w/o charge.

The M-200, I think it is, in their standard black soft cowhide would be a good choice. A plain design without epaulets or other accoutrement. I have one in the soft cow that I use as a street jacket. They come standard with two slash hand warmer pockets, one chest pocket and an interior pocket. I ordered mine without the chest pocket for a cleaner look.

Last edited:
Talked to an ex-cop who told me that their department went through a few leather jacket makers during his service but that nothing ever got close to Vanson. Don't know which one it was, though. These are all custom made to meet the department specs but yeah, they know how to do these jackets.

Peacoat

Bartender
Talked to an ex-cop who told me that their department went through a few leather jacket makers during his service but that nothing ever got close to Vanson. Don't know which one it was, though. These are all custom made to meet the department specs but yeah, they know how to do these jackets.
Yes, it is hard to beat Vanson. The competition weight is probably more jacket than Philathethes and his crew will want to deal with, though. Break in can take a while. I had thought of a Vanson in another hide, but didn't suggest it because I believe they are over his price limit.

Johnson Leathers would be a good choice as well. Not a whole heck of a lot less expensive than Vanson though (at least not in my experience). Peacoat is right about the break in period. JL's house cow is much more pliable right out the box. But if for some reason the dog turned to my arm for a chew...I'd prefer the Vanson! The poor beast would likely lose a few teeth in the exchange. Especially with their recent comp weight. It's hard as a brick.

Well, as suggested, Taylor's Leatherwear makes like 90% of all police issued leather jackets in the US. That's what they pretty much exclusively specialize in. They are also some $200 - $300 cheaper than Vanson and most other makers.
http://taylorsleatherwear.com/shop.php
Leather they use doesn't seem to be particularly spectacular looking but that's not really the point here, anyway. Most Taylor's jackets I see on eBay are consistently holding up extremely well, even after decades of service. So, under $500, Taylor's just might be your best bet, OP.

I believe most Taylors stuff now is made overseas, imported here with a Taylors tag slapped in it. The older stuff was made in Tennessee and I believe of higher quality.
No experience with the new stuff but I had an older one made for the Detroit PD and it was nice.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Thanks for the replies. I do have a Vanson Enfield (do they still make those?) in their competition weight. Fantastic jacket, tough as nails, and affords excellent protection...but it also took two seasons for me to break in. We need to move sometimes, and I don't want us to be restricted.

Still considering Vanson, just trying to weigh the pros and cons. Checking out Taylor and Johnson.

On a side note, I did have a dog bite my Aero once. Didn't even notice until later in the day when I saw a tooth hole.

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
San Diego Leather makes jackets for mounted police that are quite affordable.
I've read not too enthusiatic reviews on them, but I have one of their jackets I bought off a cop and I like it a lot.

Edward

Bartender
Would be interested to know if OP ever found the right jackets for his team?

I've always enjoyed the look of US police uniforms that incorporated leather jackets - a lovely bslance of smart with a hint of the blue-collar, less military thn the police uniforms I'm used to, and summoning immediately all sorts of noir images...

A couple of months ago I 'accidentally' bought a Taylor on eBay. Chicago PD style, very cool indeed. Claimed by the eller to be 60s, but I've not looked into that yet (and hey.... when did they last change?). I got it for a crazy offer I'd assumed they'd turn down, tbh. Tempted to pick up a BPRD logopatch for over the badge holder, we'll see. The quality is surely impressive - at least as good as any Schott I'e handled, but much more affordable.

Well, as suggested, Taylor's Leatherwear makes like 90% of all police issued leather jackets in the US. That's what they pretty much exclusively specialize in. They are also some $200 - $300 cheaper than Vanson and most other makers.
http://taylorsleatherwear.com/shop.php
Leather they use doesn't seem to be particularly spectacular looking but that's not really the point here, anyway. Most Taylor's jackets I see on eBay are consistently holding up extremely well, even after decades of service. So, under $500, Taylor's just might be your best bet, OP.

If they're all as good as mine, they're definitely worth picking up. Leather is at least on s par with my Schott - fairly plain, but for me that works in black leather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran