Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polishing spectator shoes

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well, the Hemingway OCD method is to take masking tape and to cover up the opposite color exactly, then polish away. Another thing, I am sure you have considered, is to take them to a professional, just make sure that they are. ;)

Barry

Practically Family
Neutral polish is an option (for those worried about transferring polish over) according to the shoe store owner in my neighborhood. He said that he uses a number of very small daubers, brushes, etc. when he polishes spectators. He runs one of the best shoe store / repair shop operations in the city so I just decided to let him take care of my spectators.

Barry

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
By the way ... for those of you who polish your own dress shoes, do you use "edge dressing" on the edges of the soles and heels? I always do. Black edge dressing is easy enough to find in supermarkets and drugstores. Brown edge dressing is harder to locate; I usually have to go to a shoe repair place.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
All my shoes are first cleaned with a soft, damp cloth before being polished. In the case of spectators, I have a small brush I dip in a mild detergent solution to rid the white leather of any persistent marks.

For spectators, I use a neutral leather dressing called Renapur Leather Balsam, which nourishes the leather and brings a beautiful shine to the shoes.
See www.renapur.com.

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
I don't know if this will be a help as I have never done this on vintage shoes, but as an aesthetician I wear white shoes exclusively at work and have found that simple green (diluted) works wonders on leather without leaving any residue. I have been very happy with the results, and have never had any problems. After cleaning, I use white polish then buff to a shine.
I also dress the sides. OK, sometimes I clean the bottoms too, but that's just me.

tallyho

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
This sounds great, but it's tricky when spectator shoes have white suede instead of calfskin. White suede is a whole other ballgame.

An old guy I used know when I worked at Bullock's in the old days told me how to deal with the white suede on spectators. Talcum powder. Sprinkle liberally then wipe off from the regular leather.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
There are two ways. You can use a chalk bag, which is what it sounds like: a canvas bag filled with chalk powder. Just pat and drag the bag along the suede. It works okay, but doesn't hide (let alone take away) dark scuffs.

Another method is to use a pumice stone. You must be very gentle with it, or you'll damage the suede. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW