Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Political Correctness gone mad

Status
Not open for further replies.

koopkooper

Practically Family
THE term "political correctness", or PC, entered our education and social systems about the same time as second wave feminism the 1960s.

It was designed to encourage us to watch what we said in case we insulted, hurt, stereotyped or were in any way prejudiced towards a particular sex, ethnic, cultural or age group.

It came into being for a worthy reason, prompting us - as our parents used to say - to "think before we speak".

PC also drew attention to the power of words. Sticks and stones may break bones, but words can be weapons of mass destruction and instruction. The wounds they leave sometimes never heal.

With this awareness, PC has, over time, become ingrained in the cultural conscience, the very fabric of our society, but not always in a good way.

Today there were disturbing reports in the media in Australia that childcare workers are taught not to say "no" to children in their care, and discouraged from praising them by using their sex ("good boy", "good girl"); that isn't political correctness gone mad - that's sheer stupidity. Whoever wrote those idiotic guidelines not only needs to go back to school but could do with a lesson in anatomy and physiology as well.

To label saying "good girl" or "good boy" as sexist shows a remarkable ignorance about the fundamental physical differences between the sexes. Furthermore, to suggest that using a child's sex is discriminatory also reveals a complete lack of comprehension about what discrimination means.

While on the one hand it means to distinguish (and yes, boy and girl do that) it also means on the basis of prejudice or irrationality - not to treat people equally or with equity.

Perhaps childcare workers shouldn't say "good" either, as that's discriminating, implying all the other children are bad.

And while we're at it, why is "no" wrong, but "yes" right? No more yes, I say.

It's all the same crazy logic - or perhaps that was thrown out with the bathwater.

Instead, childcare workers are told to say "congratulations" or "good work", as if the children have just married, turned 21, been promoted or closed a deal.

And how about this....a hand-washing policy, making children not only clean their hands every time they see dirt but leave the water running while they grab a paper handtowel to turn the tap off takes the notion of squeaky-clean, wasting water, paranoia and fear to whole new levels: worrying about sexism, germs, difference, prejudice and anti-discrimination classes - all before they're out of nappies. Some would say it's the perfect breeding ground for a Howard Hughes type of germophobe!

"Oh brave new world that has such people in it!" Not in the Shakespearean sense, in the lovely ironic way Aldous Huxley meant.

This isn't political correctness, so don't blame that.

This is power abused, misused and misunderstood; there's nothing political or correct about it.

From blondes to babies, let's not lose our sense of fun or what constitutes appropriate words and actions; let's not lose our common sense.

As Kahil Gibran wrote: "Wisdom is not in words; Wisdom is meaning within words."

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I believe that saying went, "Stick and stones may break my bones, but words will NEVER hurt me."! It seemed to be true back then - it is still true now. Unless of coursse one was raised to be a victim - with poor self-esteem- deeply ingrained guilt - and an opportunist looking for a chance to chance to enact passive aggressive behaviour to exact some kind of revenge or reward. That seems to descibe the better (or worse!) part of our society these days.

The best way to overcome this nonsense is with confidence, assertiveness and the consciousness that one is not responsible for other people's ignorance (ie, their failure to apprehend, comprehend and understand words of the English language.)

In the days when my parents were growing up and learning how to BE parents, the social rules were courtesy, civility, manners, thoughtfulness and consideration. In an era of political correctness now, we rarely hear "excuse me", "pardon me", "may I help you" or "thank you".

-dixon cannon

prof500

New in Town
I believe language does have power, and so some guidelines are appropriate. But it can definitely be taken too far.

Don't you know you shouldn't say "girls" at all anymore? They should be called "pre-women." (Joke.)

RedShoesGirl

One of the Regulars
prof500 said:
I believe language does have power, and so some guidelines are appropriate. But it can definitely be taken too far.

Don't you know you shouldn't say "girls" at all anymore? They should be called "pre-women." (Joke.)

once we take away the power that certain words have we will be free of prejudice. The "N" word, the "F" word, the other words that we refer to by their letters.

If one accepts that one is in control, that words do not have the power to hurt, the truly "words can never hurt me"

you can call me what you want because the power of anger is something i determine, not something that is determined for me.

this kind of thinking affords me a great deal of peace.

rsg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
There is tact and then there is PC. They are not the same. Words do have power, as someone pointed out, and some are meant to hurt, but 'think before you speak' and 'if you cant say something nice...' seem to have blown out the window to 'everyone has something important to say.

So not true.

People are now groomed to think words themselves are bad, and ignore the context in which they are presented. I cant TELL you how many times I have insulted folks without them even knowing :)

So dont be PC around me, just think about what you say before you say it, please.

LD

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Big Brother lives on my street.

movie.jpg

He's a good friend of mine, we ride the same bus. :)

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hang PC! I believe in being polite and expressing my views boldly but, not overbearing. I allow others to have their opinions and views but, to voice mine as they do theirs. Not often do they want to hear my views but, I make sure they hear mine if they have spoken theirs.

I'm of an old mindset, call it what it is, if some one gets upset over something silly, then they're silly and were looking for a word to set them off.

I have friends who are of different races and we joke about silly things about all of our races and we all know it's not a personal attack, it's just laughing at ourselves which is good to do now and again. I find some are way to serious and are always looking for a reason to be offended. It has reached an all time high!

What was shared in the first post, I found some very silly and scary things... how does any one think of this nonsense? There are some real wack jobs out there who are trying to control others by the words they should and shouldn't use... all I can say is, thank goodness I work in an antique shop! And when the day I have kids comes, they're staying the Hockey Sticks away from daycare!

=WR=

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think LD hit the nail right on the head -- there's a big difference between civility and respect that come from the heart and the sort of condescension that drips from enforced PCness. And the thing is, if we lived in a culture that had more honest civility and respect, there wouldn't be any need for speech codes or any of that stuff.

Phil

A-List Customer
I think that PC is good at the point of not making unjust, biggot remarks. But there is a limit to how correct someone can be. If you've seen the SNL and Blue Collar Show skits of the Politically Correct Fairy Tales, you know what I mean.

Doh!

One Too Many
I was in a Whole Foods today, and in their baked goods section they were selling man-shaped cookies labeled "Gingerbread Person."

Puh-leze.

Terry Lennox

Suspended
I feel it's not What is said, but HOW it's said.

I'm pretty sure Whole Foods didn't name them ginger persons in fear of offending the female ginger's who might be shopping at the store.
They used it as a humor device to buy cookies. Because they ARE cookies.

This is how using PC terms starts to offend people. You didn't see the humor in it and it offended you. It's HOW you read it, not WHAT you read.

I know I"m the only one who thinks that being PC to a point is a good thing, but think back to "when my parents" were young and some of the "common" words they use to describe others was well.. not very PC.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
In the ol' days when certain words were used (the N word, calling a man a 'boy' or a Jew a...well, you get it) it wasn't only the word but the power behind it - those referred to in those derogatory manner could not, given the civil norms, reprise in any manner without dire consequence. It was not the word but the implied and explicit POWER behind it - control and domination.

While I agree some of this PC stuff has gone too far, I can't dismiss it out of hand because it has helped not just to reduce the impact of derogatory terms, but has also minimized the power that lay behind them; i.e. a black man can no longer, in most situations, be prosecuted or persecuted for simply challenging those that would control them via language and other means. Now, I'm not a big fan of "Ginger Persons", but that is a small price to pay for the elimination of certain lexicon as acceptable monikers for those that share our society and our world. Hey, I still call women 'honey' and 'dear', but I don't do it to demean - I do it to endear. And if they take offense, I apologize and don't do it again.

But, then again, most of the time I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, so please take all my espouses with a grain of salt.

Doh!

One Too Many
Terry Lennox said:
I'm pretty sure Whole Foods didn't name them ginger persons in fear of offending the female ginger's who might be shopping at the store.
They used it as a humor device to buy cookies. Because they ARE cookies.

Well, unless somebody on this Board works for Whole Foods and can set the record straight, we'll never know for sure if it was a joke or not. I just think it's silly to call them "persons" when the cookies on display were CLEARLY men -- they were wearing no frilly bows nor skirts (and if you think that's un-PC, consider the symbols found on most restroom doors: skirts on the ladies and... well, nothing on the men).

In any event, the only real way to settle this? Google fight!

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=gingerbread+man&word2=gingerbread+person

Naama

Practically Family
Doh! said:
I was in a Whole Foods today, and in their baked goods section they were selling man-shaped cookies labeled "Gingerbread Person."

Puh-leze.

lol That's funny!

No, but really, I'm actually a very PC person. I just belive that there are words/things out there that you shouldn't use because it's wrong. There are words I don't even like to say withouth addressing someone. In school we had to read one of Judith Butlers books about that topic, I don't really like her though, but in the classroom we then had to rank insults by how they would "hurt" us, and when the teacher threw a specific word in the class the whole atmosphere was... I don't know, just strange. It's so strange how powerfull words are......
So, I think it's important to be PC but I think that this "good girl" "good boy" think is completely idiotic and sensless!

Naama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theartboxstore