Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polka Fans of the Lounge

Hey all. I'm a big Polka fan. Being from Milwaukee originally, I think it's in the blood. They're tradition around here, especially at weddings. The Milwaukee area has many Polka halls and stations that still play the music. Even out here, we have a few stations that play it, especially in farming communities. I'm a religious listener to Uncle Bill's 'Barn Show' every day at 5pm on WXRO.

The dancing looks fun, though I'm not much of a dancer, two left feet and all that. I was going to get into it, as RFD-TV's Mollie B Polka Party was going to be filming a show about two hours from here, but couldn't find a partner. (Go figure lol)

Anyways, I digress. Do we have any other Polka fans out there in Lounge Land?

AET, I saw this thread and before I looked I knew it had to be yours. I lived in the Detroit area for about 7 years, there is a large Polish/German community there. Almost every wedding I attended had some Polka
involved. When my wife and I moved to Ohio, we used to attend a Polka festival locally. A friend would rent a van and have us all driven out there so we could imbibe safely. One year we ingested large amounts of German beer, taking away much inhibition, and danced almost every song. Later that evening, some lady saw us and commented "You guys looked like you were having a great time out there, but you can't dance worth ------! I blame the German beer.

Anyway, I think Polka is a blast. The more you drink, the more fun it is!

The more you drink, the more fun EVERYTHING is lol

Do I just strike you as a Polka fan? lol It looks like you and I are the only ones!

One of the first places that Lawrence Welk became highly successful was Milwaukee and at once point his radio show was sponsored by Miller High Life.

K.McG

New in Town
Polka is a good time! My Grandmother on my Dads side of the family is from Shamokin PA, Northeast PA boasts a vast Polish/German/Eastern European background. So I've had my fair share of Polka in my life.

Over Labour Day weekend I went to a church fair where the band playing was called, 'Joe Stanky and the Cadets', watching the older couples dancing was really great, they can cut a mean rug!! I would love to learn how to dance like that!

I also am in possession of an accordion. But I haven't the foggiest how to play the thing!

Oh yes, Pennsylvania is known for their Polka culture!

I am totally impressed with how well those old folks can still move! Guess it's all the Geritol! You're in Polka country, it sounds like and should be able to find a place to learn.

I have an accordion, too, and would love to learn to play it.

On the Pennsylvania note, one of my favorite Polkas. I listen to it regularly and usually have to crank the volume up if it comes on in the car.

[video=youtube;WCXwTcZ1mAA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCXwTcZ1mAA[/video]

See, I was raised down South, so country, blues, bluegrass, gospel, even jazz, I was exposed to. Polka only briefly when my grandma came to visit and watched Lawrence Welk. So when I came to the midwest, that's when I got my Polka education.

And yes, knowing your love of Lawrence Welk, I pegged you as a Polka fan! But you also have excellent taste in Country Music as well.

Talbot

One Too Many
Sometimes music can take you places, and other times, the place can give you a new appreciation of musical styles.

So it was at the Sausage Festival in new Braunfels TX a few years back. I can't remember the names of the two guys performing, but they were brilliant. The audience lit right up with a verve that was fantastic. Great times and good memories.

T

Whenever I hear the Polkas, I'm immediately taken back to being a kid, listening to Uncle Bill's Barn Show on WXRO, which is on right now, Ironically. That was tradition around here.

Sometimes music can take you places, and other times, the place can give you a new appreciation of musical styles.

So it was at the Sausage Festival in new Braunfels TX a few years back. I can't remember the names of the two guys performing, but they were brilliant. The audience lit right up with a verve that was fantastic. Great times and good memories.

T

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
Memories of home and skiing ...

As I have spent my first 27 years in Switzerland, I have of course grown up with Polka and Marsh Music as it is our folks music (very similar of course to the German and Austrian neighbours).

For many years I was in an Accordion Orchestra, and polkas, marsh and musettes where always on the list. Polka music is GREAT fun to play on the accordion, its rather challenging but you can work yourself almost into a frency, particularily when the people start dancing :)

To me, Polka fits best in an alpine bar, enjoying Après-ski (or Après-walking) :D

Perhaps you might like this gentleman and his orchestra (Slavko Avsenik und die originalen Oberkrainer):

[video=youtube;XGILKfmOPas]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGILKfmOPas&feature=related[/video]

Now that I live in the UK, I have grown fond of Irish folks music very much.

Das Bumpen
SmileyOktoberfest01.gif

Andre Rieu & Heino -- Rosamonde (Beer Barrel Polka)
Heino should be no stranger to fans of the Worst Album Cover Thread lol

[video=youtube;qHX34uMNXQ8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHX34uMNXQ8&feature=related[/video]

Last edited:

Flipped Lid

One of the Regulars
I learned to polka, or at least do a passable version of it, relatively early in life as I was cast as the king in The King and I in our high school musical my senior year. I occasionally do an encore performance at wedding receptions when I've had a few too many glasses of wine. There isn't enough wine on earth to make me do the chicken dance.

Someone on youtube has a sense of humor! lol

Polka is alive and well and living in German Industrial Dance ... but you already knew that.

It's funny to think of Polka looking like that when I grew up with Polka like this!

[video=youtube;p3Qnlu9Nfj8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3Qnlu9Nfj8&feature=related[/video]

Love it!

I have Myron Floren's Polkas on my turntable, at the moment.

Here he is with Jo Ann Castle, also very talented in Ragtime Piano, if anyone's interested. I always really liked her.
[video=youtube;vv823eE48AI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv823eE48AI[/video]
MyronFlorenSpanishEyes1.jpg

Hawkcigar

One of the Regulars
All of us who are fans of The Iowa Hawkeyes love to hear In Heaven There Is No Beer. It means another victory!

[video=youtube;Ya-ArnK8Bpk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya-ArnK8Bpk[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff