Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In Praise of.... The Stetson Chatham?

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
There are probably not many fans of this hat in the lounge, but since there are so many new members, and since spending $200 plus on your first (and for some people, ANY) hat may seem a little :p , I'm posting this little paen to the lowly (?) Stetson Chatham.

To wit: In the plus category, I have had my Chatham for close to three years and it has held up extraordinarily well. It has been rained on, snowed on, sat on (!!) and pooped on by a mulberry eating pigeon - I even spilled india ink on it. I removed the poop with a brush and used a dry cleaning pad to get the ink and the mulberry colour out of the felt. It has held its shape and kept its colour (caribou) throughout all of this. For a modern hat the felt is thin and soft and durable.

It has to be noted that the crown is low and the band narrow, so it is not very like the thirties-style hats so many of us covet, though they tend to stand out more in a crowd and invite more staring and comments, at least in my city-living experience. Also, the liner is a little loose, really just a sateen hanky stuck in the crown, and pushing it back in can become annoying.

The Chatham clocks in at a very affordable 80 to just over 100 bucks, depending on the dealer. So, I think it's a pretty good deal for a decent hat that you can wear and wear and wear.

The other starter hat many folks here mention is the Akubra Federation, a hat that I think is complete crap, though I own two of them.

The felt - if it is felt - is about a quarter of an inch thick! I've worked with thinner, softer wood in renovating my house. It looks and feels as rough as wool, it soaks up water so that it weighs about two pounds on your head in the rain or snow, and the colour on my brown Federation went splotchy after a rain. The Federation is served up open crown so you can bash it to your liking, which is fun. I had one experience that went well, but the other went less so. Creases in the felt formed in places I didn't want creases, steaming and rebashing resulted in the same creases in the same places. I guess there were faults in the felt that caused it to bend in the same place the same way no matter what. I don't really care that much at this point, but it got my goat at the time. Finally, the Federation has a very high crown and a very wide brim. The crown can be bashed down, though not too much or it may taper, and the brim may be cut, if you're a patient careful person, but in general it is a lot of hat, a big, high, wide lot of hat. From a distance it almost reads as a cowboy hat. It will be noticed, it will be commented on - if not to your face, and you will feel conspicuous. That wouldn't normally bother me, but I don't really want people noticing such a cheap-looking, lousy hat, so I don't wear it much at all. Anyway, as a matter of preference, the wide brim especially, and to a lesser degree the high crown, just don't suit me.

So, outside of vintage or custom, the Stetson Chatham might be worth a look, and the Federation seems to me to be all hype.

:cheers1:

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Now Jake, I wish you would be a little more forthcoming in your opinion of the Akubra. ;)
I wore my Federation today and I did so because it was snowing this morning and I didn't want to mess up one of my Adventurebilts. My Federation turned green within six months and furry! The felt is like the felt one would put under the table legs so not to stratch the hardwood floor! Since the last rain storm it has gown splotchy on me. I am glad I own it, because I truly do not care what happens to it. I must also admit that I have a bit of sentimental feeling for this hat, since it was my first "serious" hat.

As to your Stetson, good for you for praising it. I don't have an opinion because I haven't seen one and I would appreciate a picture of the hat, if you have one. I went to Stetson's web site out of curiosity, and I was surprised at how few models they offer.

Anyway, good luck with the hat and I appreciate the review.

epic610

One of the Regulars
It is really nice to see..

a hat reviewed which is affordable and easily obtained by any number of online hat shops ...without having to spend hours scrolling all over ebay . . . and without doing any cosmetic or structural maintenance once you get your hands on it. all you have to do is open the box and put it on.

congrats.

Fedora

Vendor
Well, I have owned many Akubras, and I have owned around 10 modern Stetsons. I could not agree less with your appraisal. At least the Federation is not a disposable hat, like the Stetson. I reblock loads of vintage and new hats. Through experience, I would not touch a new Stetson dress hat with a 10 foot pole, with an eight foot extension. On the other hand, I love reblocking Akubras. The felt is good enough to weather a reblock, and while the factory pouncing is not great on the AKubras, you can pounce them out to a great finish.

The modern Stetson dress hats that I have owned used the colored finishing powder, to get rid of the mottle. This stuff also washes out with the first rain. Fedora

Raindog

One of the Regulars
As far as the Stetson arguement goes I can only say that I've yet to test my second hand Stetson in the rain. I've used my old Akubra 'cowboy' hat in some rough weather and it didn't care at all. It also took a radical reshape after 20 years of abuse and was reborn without an old crease showing at all.
I think these modern hats vary a lot in quality even of the same model and make. Lots of people are happy (some love them) with their Akubras, some have trouble. Same goes for Stetsons and probably every make out there. Maybe the quality control is dodgy nowadays?

Jeff.

Gumby

New in Town
Stetson website...what gives?

I had been on the Stetson website (http://www.stetsonhat.com/dress.htm) a couple months ago, but was rather surprised to see they didn't list but a few of their hats. Why?

A local men's clothing store had the latest Stetson catalog for their fedoras and is was reasonable for selection. I don't understand why they wouldn't list all of their hat selection on the website.

"All people are born alike -- except Republicans and Democrats.�
- Groucho Marx

silverHalo

New in Town
Exactly! I have often wondered why the Stetson website is complete garbage..with alll the history of the company and this is all they have to offer? I would be happy to redesign their site for free, they should have a virtual, interactive hat museum!!!

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Poor Stetson . Nobody will give them a chance . If they only made their dress hats as well as their westerns ,people would buy them .:cool2:

Fedora

Vendor
Nobody will give them a chance .

:) Oh, but I gave them 6 chances! ;) 3 Temples, and 3 Nostalgias. Of course, these were all of the Sovereign line , and perhaps they make a better line of felt in the dress hats. The Akubras on the other hand are generally a courser felt, but only because the factory does not pounce them very well. While the Akubra is certainly not up there in quality of felt, it is a good staple felt and a strong felt as well. It is a better hat than the Sovereign line that Stetson puts out, as it will reblock well without self-destructing. But, the Stetsons do look quite good when new, while the powder is still there. Get caught in a rain shower and underneath that colored powder is some of the ugliest felt you ever saw. Ok, Ok, I am a Stetson hater, but love the vintage 7x and 10x felt that Stetson made once upon an era. I love the brand name, and I love the vintage stuff. I am just miffed that they no longer make a decent dress felt. Fedora

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner