Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poll: Changing Seasons

What should determine when you switch?

• Go by the date. Comfort be damned, it's tradition that's important.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Interested to know everybody's thoughts on this..."switch" meaning when do you pack up the flannel and felt and turn to linens and straws and light colors. (You can't edit a poll once it's posted, but you can comment on your own poll.)

I for one vote for the weather. Then again, it's April 18 and 82° and sunny here.

What is a tradition anyway? How do we separate the social aspects from the practical? Should we?

surely

A-List Customer
I'm an outside the box kind of guy now. Once I was constrained by tradition. I found that limited creativity and expression.

It's true your social rank is expressed thru switching. But you can walk proud, head held high with your own style at any time especially if consciously put together. no matter what the traditionalists say.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I voted "wear what you like..." although if you like to wear a full length fur coat ala a Charles Addams drawing on an 80 degree day in August, you can't complain if people say you're odd...

It's forecast to be 53 in SF tomorrow and I'll be at work so I've got one more chance to wear my three piece tweed suit.

DerMann

Practically Family
Although it has been very nice this week, last week it was in the high 80s already. So, needless to say, my linen is already out.

LindyTap

Familiar Face
Here in michigan, infamous for our crazy and unpredictable weather, I have to say to go with the weather because in this crazy climate it may be cold after the designated warm-weather switch day, or vice-versa. Sometimes it will be 30 in the morning and 70 in the afternoon in the early spring or late fall, and I'll change in the middle of the day!

Sunny

One Too Many
Personally, I'd rather enjoy going by the traditional date. Unfortunately, while Texas has seasons, they tend to be slightly... off... from the traditional dates. Easter is actually the most reasonable; it's actually cold on most Easters and it's good to be able to wear the light stuff afterward. But Labor Day doesn't work at all. It's usually not over 100 in September, but it's well in the upper 90s. It doesn't really get chilly until November. So we're rather forced to go by the weather down here.

donCarlos

Practically Family
The weather is quite unpredictable during the last few weeks. So when I wake up, it looks like a terrible day outside, so I dress up for that kind of weather, during the next three hours the temperature rises to 15°C and I start sweating.
The next day I know that the weather will improve, so I dress for summer and the weather doesn´t improve.

So, is it possible to determine what to wear during this season? No, because the weather does whatever it likes.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
amazing...

...in a hotbed of traditionalists like this, ZERO voted the hardcore option.

Sunny sorta said she'd like to, but once again, climatic conditions intervene.

Still puzzling the way even Southerners will wear dark clothing these days when asked to dress up...

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
I like traditions, I frequently argue in their favor here, and, like Sunny, I would like to abide by them. In an ideal world, I'd have a closet full of wool fresco suits and lightweight felt hats to wear when the temperature is up but the summer season hasn't started yet. But I don't. So I wear what I have that's appropriate to the weather, and if that means a panama in April, no big deal.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Western clothes, I go by the weather, I want to be comfortable as well as being well dressed, especially when I am at work.
However, Japanese kimonos have very strict codes, both season and occasion-wise, and of course I abide by them.
So, where does that put me? :rolleyes: lol lol

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I responded with "tradition" but only because I feel that part of the over-casualization of society comes from pushing the warm-weather look too far into the fall and too early into the spring.

Not to mention, I was in a men's shop the other day and when I asked about fedoras the man said "it's past the point where you wear a felt hat, we're in the straw season now." I pointed out to him that the traditional cut off was mid-May but he wouldn't hear about it and came as close to calling me an idiot as he could without actually saying it.

This same man then told me that it would cost $250 for a mid-grade wool felt hat. He kept stressing "wool" as though that were somehow a nicer felt.

But, I digress.

My feeling is that you can do the cold-weather clothing past the cut-off and before the transition back, due to utility, but the warm weather clothing should be kept between the traditional May 15 - September 15 (or Labor Day - Memorial Day, if you must) cut offs.

-Dave

Old Mariner

One of the Regulars
I'm an outside the box kind of guy now. Once I was constrained by tradition. I found that limited creativity and expression.

It's true your social rank is expressed thru switching. But you can walk proud, head held high with your own style at any time especially if consciously put together. no matter what the traditionalists say.

^ This for me. I tend to consider myself the "anti-traditionalist" for that very reason. I don't like having my creative spirit stifled and get very rebellious when forced to. This may seem strange, because I appear somewhat "traditional", but my mind tends not to be.

That said, I dress depending on the weather.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
^ This for me. I tend to consider myself the "anti-traditionalist" for that very reason. I don't like having my creative spirit stifled and get very rebellious when forced to. This may seem strange, because I appear somewhat "traditional", but my mind tends not to be.

That said, I dress depending on the weather.
After necroposting about 10 10 yr old threads TODAY i would have to disagree with your self evaluation.
B

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have noticed that, in part, it is a cultural thing. Here in Vienna, you wear winter clothes until 1 May. Summer clothes through September, and then switch back to winter clothes precisely on 1 October. It's just what you do. Of course there are some oddballs who don't follow the rules, but they are fairly conspicuous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy