Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

POLL: US members: Which Region of the US are you from

Which Region of the US are you from

• New England

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • East North Central

• West North Central

• South Atlantic

• East South Central

• West South Central

• Mountain

• Total voters

Haversack

One Too Many
Viola made mention of some people referring to the old heavy-industry part of the USA as "The Foundry". That's is from Joel Garreau's 1981 book entitled, "The Nine Nations of North America". Its an examination of the continent based on economic and cultural grounds. A map of his redivision can be found here:

http://www.harpercollege.edu/~mhealy/g101ilec/namer/nac/nacnine/na9intro/nacninfr.htm

In it, Texas is divided between Dixie, the Breadbasket, and Mex-America. If I remember right, one of the borders runs between Dallas and Fort Worth.

Haversack.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
It was already pretty dated by the time I read it, but I loved "Nine Nations Of North America," Haversack. Even if it was ten counting Alaska as its own. lol

-Viola

Haversack

One Too Many
Ja, it was some time ago. But I think Garreau divided Alaska between Ecotopia, (Homer and the Banana Belt), and the Empty Quarter, (everything else). Still, some of his observations such as recognizing the east-west divide in Oregon and Washington, still holds.

Haversack.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
He described Alaska as an abberration, being "largely Empty Quarter but with its own unique character" and yeah, edged with Ecotopia.

Certainly there was no doubt Philadelphia was the Foundry, and a lot of its description seemed pretty home-y.

-Viola

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Viola said:
Politically, sounds good.

Weather-wise? NOT SO MUCH. lol ;)

-Viola

It's 70-ish, slightly overcast with a nice breeze today. Friday it was clear blue sky, burning sun and hot in the high 70's.

And the fish are in.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, USDAs aren't set up by averages, they're set by records. Well, at least it doesn't sound like you're regularly hitting the bottom of that chart, the way we DO hit the bottom of zone 7 pretty much every year in Philadelphia. I wuz skeered.

-Viola

Foofoogal

Banned
I thought so but why West? Strange.
My great grandfather came to Texas around 1858 but I believe other family was already there like cousins or so. They all started in Charleston, South Carolina so I guess it was "Go West Young Man" to them. ;)

Thank you Sir.

Qwkslvr

One of the Regulars
Toughest town in the west

I'm in Cheyenne, WY.
Watched an old western last week (don't recall the title). One cowboy asked another where they were headed, he replied; "Cheyenne!". The first cowboy said, " Why that's the toughest town in the west".

hepkitten

One of the Regulars
Done. I'm a Pacific gal -- born in CA, residing in OR, spent a few years in Tennessee in between. That's where I learned to appreciate iced tea and oak-aged moonshine. Here in Oregon, it's microbrew and nice Pinot Noirs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925