Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pomade

Bert

New in Town
brylcreem boy said:
The pomade is definitely thicker and has a MUCH better smell and will give your hair some hold. The dressing has more shine for slicking, but the pomade does a respectible job of giving shine as well. To me the pomade has a light musk type smell. When you look at the ingredients on the can they are the same, but there is defintely a difference in texture, hold, and smell and shine to some extent.

Bonjour

Thanks for the infos. Here's a question, quite naïve I believe.
As you can see, I live in France. Finding pomades here is just impossible. All the greases I use (5 or 6 differents products depending on how I want to dress my hair) have to be ordered online. So I can't really know if pomades are really easy products to find on your ocean's side. I read that it was quite easy to find Murrays, Royal C., etc in drugstores / Wallmart or at least in the multi-ethnical neighbourhoods... I'm going to cross the ocean to live in east Canada for a year (Québec City) and I wondered if I should buy tons of products before leaving (to my classical online dealers) or if it would be easier to find those stuffs in shops like Sears / Zellers / Metro / Wallgreen...

Amicalement, Bertrand, Bordeaux, France

Bert

New in Town
Irish4 said:
Bert ,I think it will be quite easy to find all your products here on this side of the the big pond.

Bonjour

Well I hope so. North East of the US is really close, so i'll go cross the border in name of the wet look ! Or else, a gentleman trucker from Missouri will go to the Wallmart and ship stuff for me :D

Amicalement, Bertrand, Bordeaux-Québec, France-Canada.

Irish4

Familiar Face
Ah....Monsieur Bert,your choice of pomade,in trade for a Thiers Issard historical 6/8 Le Grelot straight razor?

Bert

New in Town
Irish4 said:
Ah....Monsieur Bert,your choice of pomade,in trade for a Thiers Issard historical 6/8 Le Grelot straight razor?

Hum I must admit that i'm totally incompetent for straight razors, even french ones...Mea maxima culpa :D

DerMann

Practically Family
I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but I can't seem to keep the stuff in my hair.

After two days of not applying pomade, it seems to completely come out, even without any sort of washing (I seem to keep my hair dry in the shower, not even thinking about washing it).

Isn't this stuff supposed to stay in your hair?

Luke 42

One of the Regulars
DerMann said:
I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but I can't seem to keep the stuff in my hair.

After two days of not applying pomade, it seems to completely come out, even without any sort of washing (I seem to keep my hair dry in the shower, not even thinking about washing it).

Isn't this stuff supposed to stay in your hair?

Try comparing your pillow-case against a fresh one..That should give you a hint where all the pomade is gone:D
But how do you keep your hair neat for several days? When I sleep with pomade in my hair, it looks like the biggest mess ever in the morning, so I definitely have to shower.

Howard Hughes

One of the Regulars
FREE POMADE ALTERNATIVE

Whatto All,
I know that during WWII, men in Britain, the one's that could get it anyway, would use sheep's spinal/cerebral fluid as a substitute for hair pomade.
What with that and ladies using gravy as fake stockings, there must have been quite a few confused dogs on the streets of Britain.

Toodleoo
HH

Bert

New in Town
Bonsoir à tous

I totaly agree with Luke 42. Check you pillow case...I realized that spending a night on a pillow was much more efficient that washing hair to remove pomade.
And yes, Murray's (and other pomades too) are made to stay in the hair. But well, it seems to be a good solution to wash hair everyday :the pomade will still be there, but the hair would be fresher, easier to comb (and you can add a little bit of pomade...).

Amicalement, Bertrand, Bordeaux, France.

tbrunke

Familiar Face
Thank you all

Hello everyone, I have just joined the site and was reading these posts. I used to use Crew Pomade and liked the stuff, just not the price. After reading I went by Walgreens and was able to pick up Royal Crown 2 for $3. So I stocked up and I love the stuff! So thanks to all for your insite!

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
I used to use Murrays but this stuff is attracting too much filth and not so easy to wash out (5 rounds of washing my hair with dishwashing-soap).. Then I discovered the Sweet Georgia Brown (blue can), it's pretty strong hold, a little less than the Murrays, and the smell is sweet.. Use that quite a lot. Lately I'm using Black & White, easy to wash out, strong hold but flexible.. Only on hot summer days the hold is less than with Murrays or SGB..

I tend to build up pomade by rubbing in a drab or two every day, on wet hair, then comb it into a pomp, or slick it back more, whatever I feel like for that day.. After a build up of 3 days after washing my hair, it usually holds best. I wash my hair ever once a week, rinsing it with warm water every day...

DSC03792-1.jpg

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
DUTCH Attitude

djgo-cat-go said:
I used to use Murrays but this stuff is attracting too much filth and not so easy to wash out (5 rounds of washing my hair with dishwashing-soap).. Then I discovered the Sweet Georgia Brown (blue can), it's pretty strong hold, a little less than the Murrays, and the smell is sweet.. Use that quite a lot. Lately I'm using Black & White, easy to wash out, strong hold but flexible.. Only on hot summer days the hold is less than with Murrays or SGB..

I tend to build up pomade by rubbing in a drab or two every day, on wet hair, then comb it into a pomp, or slick it back more, whatever I feel like for that day.. After a build up of 3 days after washing my hair, it usually holds best. I wash my hair ever once a week, rinsing it with warm water every day...

DSC03792-1.jpg

djgo-cat-go first, WELCOME to the FL second, dig that photo man third, concur on Murray's used it once NEVER again. Groom & Clean cheap, available & build's up a nice slick! Solid Citizen ;)

Bert

New in Town
Bonsoir

Hey, nice hair DJ Cat ! High, thick...that's a pomp ! And it's allways a pleasure to hear about SGB and Black and White, my favorite greases...
By the way, for you Royal Crown European Lovers (I am one of them...), i talked some week ago about the great Pomadeshop german grease dealer, owned by my friend Stan. Here's something new in stock, that we wait for a long time on this side of the Big Pond...Drumroll drumroll drumroll : the one and only Royal Crown mens pomade. This shop seems to be the only european dealer selling it. I can't wait to test the stuff !
https://shop.strato.de/epages/61591627.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61591627/Categories/Neu

Amicalement, Bertrand, Bordeaux, France.

Hugh Beaumont

One of the Regulars
I've got a medicine cabinet full of pomades from every different company and I tend to default to Royal Crown.

Of course, you can't use RC and get a good look if your hair is really long. You won't be able to control it and it will look greasy as opposed to well groomed.

But if it's authentic greaser look you want, then RC is your stuff.

I use Brylcreem every single day for the well groomed Hollywood look, but I use RC when I want to get the Clooney comb over.

I've been wearing pomade for more than 30 years and no matter what you use, you're always going to have to have a comb with you to restyle your hair every now and then, and even reapply your wax/gel, especially after wearing a hat. Don't expect pomade to keep your style locked. It just won't happen no matter how stiff the product is.

Bert

New in Town
Hugh Beaumont said:
I've got a medicine cabinet full of pomades from every different company and I tend to default to Royal Crown.

Of course, you can't use RC and get a good look if your hair is really long. You won't be able to control it and it will look greasy as opposed to well groomed.

But if it's authentic greaser look you want, then RC is your stuff.

I use Brylcreem every single day for the well groomed Hollywood look, but I use RC when I want to get the Clooney comb over.

I've been wearing pomade for more than 30 years and no matter what you use, you're always going to have to have a comb with you to restyle your hair every now and then, and even reapply your wax/gel, especially after wearing a hat. Don't expect pomade to keep your style locked. It just won't happen no matter how stiff the product is.

Oh yes, you're damn right. Combing and recombing is part of the deal. You can easily fix the details (the side of the head ie) without a mirror, but for the general shape, you need a mirror and five minutes alone few times in the day.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Always carry a comb with you.. I do.. But whenever I'm wearing a cap I expect a 'rim' in my coiffure that I cannot comb out without using water.. but that's probably the best thing of using a pomade: if you suddenly a monsoon hits you by surprise you can be sure that at least you're hair still looks good (unless you left your comb at home..);)

dizzydog

New in Town
Sorry to bump such an old thread. BUT....ive got questions.

Anyone know if there is anything new on the market to replace Murrays type hold but might be water soluble?

I just moved from Gel since I hate the hair helmet. I have extremely thick hair and started Murrays yesterday. WAY too hard to wash this stuff out!!

Any other options that I might be able to aquire here in AZ?

The Murrays is the only one ive tried that actually holds hair as thick as mine in a proper Pomp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo