Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pomade

skbellis

One of the Regulars
K-Mart

I was happy to find Murray's Super Lite at K-Mart. It was on clearance for $1.25 a can. I was happy with the price, but the downside is that they probably won't carry it anymore.

---Scott

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
I don't like Murray's

I like Black & White and Sweet Georgia Brown (blue can).. both smell gooood, and hold my crown in place :cool: :cool:

paasfoto.jpg

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
djgo-cat-go said:
I like Black & White and Sweet Georgia Brown (blue can).. both smell gooood, and hold my crown in place :cool: :cool:

How is the blue Sweet Georgia Brown different from Murray's, how does it compare? I mostly use heavy weight pomades and therefore have always kinda ignored Sweet Georgia Brown because their original is a lighter weight.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Guttersnipe said:
How is the blue Sweet Georgia Brown different from Murray's, how does it compare? I mostly use heavy weight pomades and therefore have always kinda ignored Sweet Georgia Brown because their original is a lighter weight.

The pomades are made of the same stuff petrolatum and fragrance but Murray's has a 'petrol-smell' to me that I don't like. Blue canned Sweet Georgia Brown comes close to the toughness of Murray's..

It's all a matter of taste really, but Sweet Georgia Brown gets me a pomped up monster-quiff if I need to more easily than Murrays.. but at the same time my hair stays a bit more pliable. Somehow, SGB doesn't attract as much dust and filth as Murray's and it washes out in 3 wash-sessions instead of 7 (!) With Murray's in the hair I pull my hair out when trying to get a comb through it.. :rolleyes:

But, my favorite is Black and White.. it's softer, smells even better than SGB and gets my hair the way I want with a slick finish. Better grooming.. restyling with a little water or spit .. oh, and it washes out the easiest.. using shampoo instead of dish-washing soap lol

Murray's in my experience is the toughest of the three, than comes Sweet GB, than Black 'n White. SGB and Black 'n White smell waay better.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
I've been using Black & White for the last couple of weeks. It's actually very effective for re-activating the hold later on in the day when you rub a little water on your head and comb thru again.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
djgo-cat-go said:

paasfoto.jpg

Re: SGB Blue can - I've heard of this but I can't find it here. Did you get it in a local store or order online?

Also, where's that picture from?

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Mr. 'H' said:
I've been using Black & White for the last couple of weeks. It's actually very effective for re-activating the hold later on in the day when you rub a little water on your head and comb thru again.

Yeah i use it on occasion too, it has a nice smell and just right hold and still combable. I experimented yesterday bought some vitalis and mixed it with my groom and clean- Excellent results: Very High Shine and slick finish...
Groom and Clean is by far the easiest product to wash out, just needs a bit more hold.

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Hair Treatments Old and New!

Mr. 'H' said:
Kinda psyched about SGB blue now.
Amen to Sweet Georgia Brown! My grandfather swore by the stuff and I still do (though, for a while I've been using Brylcreem and occasionally Jockey Club Liquid Brilliantine in the Lavender frangrance though it does unfortunately run to oiliness... As far as the Sweet Georgia Brown is concerned, I've not used it much as I've been saving it for special occasions as its been murder to find for years until about two years ago and I've been to damned lazy still to drive on over to Burbank to get a tin of it. By the by, I have the old original tin, the one without the rolled edges! That stuff just holds and Holds and HOLDS! It smells wonderful and not florid or too much petrolatum odor to boot! Another occasional favourite of mine is Chanty Lavender Brilliantine which I have from my grandfather! Great stuff! By the by, anyone know if they still make Chanty Lavender Brilliantine? I'd be interested to hear what anyone else has to say on hair treatments and dressings. But seriously, Murray's UGH. Does it get worse? (Well, maybe, if you've ever tried Tres Flores! Hahahaaa!)

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
brylcreem boy said:
Sounds like we both have good taste Mr H!!!:eusa_clap What kinda product are you using on yours these days??

Why thanks fella! I've been experimenting with B & W and getting some good results, tho' at first I had a base of Dax Red (the rock hard stuff) for extra hold.

What I like about the B & W is that it's great for re-combs.

My favorite smell is definitely SGB and the only reason I don't use it is that the red tin is just not strong enough for my hair.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Evan Everhart said:
Amen to Sweet Georgia Brown! My grandfather swore by the stuff and I still do

Say, would you happen to know if the pomade is the same now as in your grandfather's time? I doubt they would have changed it but you never know....

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Mr. 'H' said:

Yes, that's the power of the pommade: shape your pomp, wet your pomp, reshape your pomp!

Mr. 'H' said:
Also, where's that picture from?

That's me on my birthday.. my mother made this picture.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
djgo-cat-go said:
Yes, that's the power of the pommade: shape your pomp, wet your pomp, reshape your pomp!

I hear you brother.

djgo-cat-go said:
That's me on my birthday.. my mother made this picture.

The a great picture (inspirational actually) for other members to see and try to emulate. Your mom gave you a nice present... won't it be nice to see that again in say 10 or 20 years? :eusa_clap

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Question I have for other pomade-ites: why does it always say use a "little" or a "scarce" amount of the pomade on the back of the tins? I mean, surely the biggest market is for guys with pomps etc and they use more than a little.

Bert

New in Town
Bonsoir

I'm glad to see some "pomade posts" around here...We butterheads should to compete with the "shave of the day" guys and start a "Pomade of the day" thread :D
Well for me murrays is really to stiff. I use B&W or SGB red to shape my pomp/slickback...but I allways use Murrays to slick the little tiny hairs of the sides. Thats the only thing that's strong enough.

Amicalement, Bertrand, Bordeaux, France.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Mr. 'H' said:
Question I have for other pomade-ites: why does it always say use a "little" or a "scarce" amount of the pomade on the back of the tins? I mean, surely the biggest market is for guys with pomps etc and they use more than a little.

Think of it like cutting hair. You can always more off, but you can't uncut it. If you slather an ungodly amount of pomade through you're hair in one go, it will be a waxy, stiff, unmanageable mess - you won't be able to wash it out (because REAL pomade doesn't washout!) - and when you try to comb is you will rip hairs out (lots and lots of hairs!!!!).

The thing to do is start by putting a little bit in and comb your hair. Then add a little more where needed an re-comb; you can do this as many times as is needed to get perfect hair, but you must always be mindful not to over grease your hair (see waxy, stiff, unmanageable mess result above). This works especially well if you already have grease in your hair and are fresh out of the shower.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk