Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pomade

Army-Dapper

New in Town
Dapper Man

I am very new to the Fedora Lounge and so far I like what I see. I notice a lot of members use Murrays or some other product, but hands down the best product ever is Dapper Man. I found it online a few months ago, and have been addicted ever since. It's developed from the original 1930s formula. It has perfect hold but does not get too hard. You can still run a comb through it easily, amazing shite, and it washes out with just water, no soap! you can order it from http://www.dappermanvintage.com . This company's customer service is great. With my second order (which was 5 minutes after I tried my first order), they even sent me a very small pocket sized container about the size of 5 quarters stacked up, along with the standard sized one. I know it sounds like I work for this company or something, (I don't), this product is just that awesome.

skbellis said:
I was happy to find Murray's Super Lite at K-Mart. It was on clearance for $1.25 a can. I was happy with the price, but the downside is that they probably won't carry it anymore.

---Scott
I will say not-necessarily. Sometimes we clearance stuff out just because it's coming in with a different UPC or in a different size. Which is sometimes a loss, but not as great of one. It happened with Vitalis. They clearanced it out by us (I bought every bottle for half price, plus my 20% discount) and they didn't rid of it all together, they just replaced it with a bottle half the size. So, it was a loss but not a total loss.

Army-Dapper

New in Town
BEST POMADE

AFTER SEARCHING HIGH AND LOW AND TRYING ALMOST EVER PRODUCT KNOW TO MAN. I FELL UPON DAPPER MAN-THE GENTLEMAN'S POMADE. THIS STUFF IS GREAT! PERFECT HOLD, BUT YOU CAN STILL RUN A COMB THROUGH IT EASLY, AWESOME SHINE, AND WASHES OUT WITH JUST WATER. YOU CAN BUY IT ON EBAY (THATS WERE I BUY MINE) OR GO TO THE WEBSITE..http://www.dappermanvintage.com I THINK THE WEBSITE IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION RIGHT NOW. ITS DEVELOPED FROM AN ORIGINAL 1930'S FORMULA. THEY ALSO HAVE GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE. THEY INCLUDED A FREE POCKET SIZED DAPPER MAN POMADE WITH MY ORDER (WHICH COMES IN HANDY)

Army-Dapper

New in Town
PHOTO

2ef5_1.JPG

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Actually . . .

AtomicEraTom said:
Just curious, what is the benefit of a pomade over Brylcreem or Hair Tonic?

. . . I've never used hair tonic - I don't even know what it is. As for pomade vs. Brylcreem: pomades have a more "weighty" jelly-like consistency than Brylcreem's creamy nature. Most pomades give a stiffer hold, which I personally prefer.

The biggest advantage (IMHO) pomades have over Brylcreem is that Brylcreem smells obscenely bad. . . I know some folk love it, but I cannot abide it's scent.

Guttersnipe said:
. . . I've never used hair tonic - I don't even know what it is. As for pomade vs. Brylcreem: pomades have a more "weighty" jelly-like consistency than Brylcreem's creamy nature. Most pomades give a stiffer hold, which I personally prefer.

The biggest advantage (IMHO) pomades have over Brylcreem is that Brylcreem smells obscenely bad. . . I know some folk love it, but I cannot abide it's scent.

I was always just curious to it. I've used both, and my preference is a brylcreem, but if I'm going to a rat-rod show, I pull out the Murray's and get a nice high pomp going. I was born without a sense of smell, so I can't say one way or the other on that one! My best friend claims he can find me at work by the auroma of Brylcreem Hair Tonic and Old Spice LOL.

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
I use Murrays Beeswax. It is easiest to apply when its hot. So I take it in the shower with me and let hot water fill the jar up, then recap it and let it sit until the end of the shower. The hot water melts the top layer in the jar. Then I scoop it out and rub it between my palms. Then rinse my hair in hot water and apply the wax thoroughly. If you find that it is clumping to much stick your head back under the hot water and it will even out.

I then just dab my head with a towel. As a lot of the water is repelled by the wax I don't have to dry it with too much effort.

Now that the wax is evenly distributed, I comb it into my desired position. The wax will hold all day. If I put on a hat it will leave a ring, but that is easily combed out.

I can then wash it every day if I want and slowly the wax will fade over a period of 3-4 days. I then repeat the procedure to add more wax.

The one thing you must avoid is a very vigorous towel drying of the hair with wax in it. It will knot up something fierce if you do. And that is a real pain to deal with. Just a gentle blotting is all you need.

mattfink

Practically Family
Ok, I've been using pomade in my hair since 1992. I've used em' all and this is my take.

Pompadour:

If you want a pompadour, you got use something with some hold in the front. Murray's or Sweet Georgia Brown are the best. For the rest of the head I would suggest a medium hold like Nu Nile or Black & White. Then I would use a light pomade with heavy shine like Royal Crown or Rob's Chop Shop 20Weight. If you've got very straight hair, you could probably get away with the medium hold in the front.

Parted With Small Bump:

I would go with the medium hold stuff with light coating of the lightweight for shine all over.

Slicked Back:

Unless you've got some curl or wave, you could get away with light weight if your hair is cut appropriately (can't be too short) or medium if your hair is a little shorter.

If you don't want to wear grease, I couldn't give a better recomendation than to use Layrite. The trick with this stuff is to thoroughly dry your hair before putting it in if you want to wear it in a pompadour style.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
mattfink said:
If you don't want to wear grease, I couldn't give a better recomendation than to use Layrite. The trick with this stuff is to thoroughly dry your hair before putting it in if you want to wear it in a pompadour style.

Also when using Layrite do not re-comb your hair. Like gel, once it hardens it flakes up if you try to restyle your hair.

tylerevansokay

One of the Regulars
SGB in the blue can is fantastic. It shines like crazy and smells really nice. It's a heavy hold but it's not TOO heavy like Murray's can get.
I use Lucky Tiger right now... the cru-butch stuff. It's been the best to my hair no matter the weather... my hair's weird. Sometimes it likes SGB, others it wants Lucky Tiger. Eh... it's alright!

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
brylcreem boy said:
Hmmm.. never tried the Murrays beeswax, is it alot easier to work with than regular Murrays and hold just as well?? I used regular murrays on my pompadour but man I used to pull out hairs when I would comb

Beeswax is easy to use and holds all day. If it does get messed up, its easy to fix. The wax is easiest to use when it hot and pliable. While in the shower, I open the jar and fill it with hot water and recap it. At the end of the shower I open the jar and scoop out the now soft top layer. A little goes a long way. Get a dab of it and spread between your palms. Then get your hair wet with hot water and then pull your hands through your hair to evenly distribute it. If you have a hard time just put your head back under the water and it will soften up and allow the wax to spread evenly.
All thats left is to pat your hair dry with a towel and comb. You HAVE to pat your hair dry. If you vigorously towel dry it, you will end up with knots and that hurts to comb through.

Once you get it styled it should hold all day. Even through slight wind. But it is still soft to the touch.

It will take about 3-4 washings to get it out of your hair fully. But if you like it, a small amount every other day keeps it just right.

Have fun!

I actually came off the Brylcreem kick for the first time in about a year and put on some Murray's Pomade. Worked great, my hair never moved once all day and I was unloading semi's all day, I forgot how good of a hold that stuff has!

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
I tried all kinds of pomades and just couldn't get past the greasy feeling on my scalp.

Depending on what you want to do with your hair, SPIKER is the best holding product ever. You put it in wet (it's wholly impossible to put it in dry - it's like thick glue), comb your hair into the desired style (a tall Pomp for me), let it dry and it stays put. You don't have to think about it again until you want to wash it out, which only takes one wash/shampooing. Good stuff.

mattfink

Practically Family
Who makes "Spiker" and where can you pick it up? I'll try anything once...well, almost.

Matt Crunk said:
I tried all kinds of pomades and just couldn't get past the greasy feeling on my scalp.

Depending on what you want to do with your hair, SPIKER is the best holding product ever. You put it in wet (it's wholly impossible to put it in dry - it's like thick glue), comb your hair into the desired style (a tall Pomp for me), let it dry and it stays put. You don't have to think about it again until you want to wash it out, which only takes one wash/shampooing. Good stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana