Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pomade

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
OldSoul said:
Lately I have been thinking about going back to a flat-top cut. I ran with a flat-top for abou two years or so, then I got lazy last spring and started growing it out. I tried the long-hair thing, but I have such thick hair I was finding it difficult to keep it as I wanted it. It didn't help that I was using Murrays, and was losing hair every time I ran my comb through it!

So, here I am back at square one, thinking about either going back to my flat or maybe growing it out again, and finding some lighter pomade that still holds but won't remove my precious hair (by the looks of my family, I better enjoy it while I have it!) What pomades do you all suggest for shorter cuts? I've only had experience with Murrays and American Greaser, both leave something to be desired, and Layrite (I love the smell/washability but hate that it harders like gel)

:eusa_doh:

Well I used to use Murrays too and pulled out much hair when I had the longer pompadour. Now I use Groom and Clean and/or Murrays Lite, and occasionally Layrite. The Groom and Clean works well on my short back and sides with sharp side part and quiff-( basically like my avatar only more tapering on the sides. You can recomb it easily throughout the day and it will still have that groomed look and will not dry out or stiffen like layrite, if you use enough of it it will give a nice deep shine AND.. it washes out with one easy washing!!

OldSoul

Familiar Face
brylcreem boy said:
Well I used to use Murrays too and pulled out much hair when I had the longer pompadour. Now I use Groom and Clean and/or Murrays Lite, and occasionally Layrite. The Groom and Clean works well on my short back and sides with sharp side part and quiff-( basically like my avatar only more tapering on the sides. You can recomb it easily throughout the day and it will still have that groomed look and will not dry out or stiffen like layrite, if you use enough of it it will give a nice deep shine AND.. it washes out with one easy washing!!

Sounds like just the thing I'm looking for! I'll keep an eye out for it next time I'm shopping.

Thanks!

repeatclicks

Practically Family
mattfink said:
They sell it at the Berkley Chop Shop on 12 mile.

I used to get my hair cut by Jay there before I moved to London. I only got to go twice, but what a great bunch of guys there. I miss it alot. Now I go to Mr. Ducktail who also gives an amazing cut, but sadly, no hot lather on the neck...

Bustercat

A-List Customer
Hey all.
I have hair that when grown out forms medium tight ringlets, so we're talking curly. I sport a pomp now and it has a nice wave in it when done right.

I've just switched from murrays to water based pomades. Like it or not, the murrays had two really negative effects: day two, it was totally unmanigable. It was like my hair had greasy, stiff curls that went anyway they wanted, even after a hot shower or blow drier. 2) it made my hair fall out like it i was wearing a hat lined with cesium. I'm not taking clumps coming out in the comb while styling it.. im talking about 10 to 15 hairs in my hand whenever i lightly ran my fingers across my temples and forehead in the shower. That's gotta be clogged pores excacerbating the normal hairloss of a guy my age (30).

So I've tried two water-based things now. The secret for all of these is to put them into dry hair... I mean really dry, if that stuff touches water it gets slimy and dissappears into your hair.
My fave by far is Layrite, which is awesome. Downsides are that its stiff (which i don't mind at all, but YMMV) and it's expensive. But I had this in for 2 days straight after a haircut, we're talking waking around in the hot sacramento sun, sleeping in a motel, then doing it again the next day. 'Mega hold' is right.
A cheaper alternative is Axe pomade (doesn't smell too bad actually, and if you hate that container just put it in the microwave for 45 seconds and dump the contents into an empty royal crown container ;) )
I'm going to try that krew comb stuff ive seen recommended here as soon as i can find it. I'd also like to try some called LaBella Water based pomade... any experience with this? seems really inexpensive.

Here's me with my pomp, using layrite.
090813_0049-1.jpg

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Bustercat said:
So I've tried two water-based things now. The secret for all of these is to put them into dry hair... I mean really dry, if that stuff touches water it gets slimy and dissappears into your hair.
My fave by far is Layrite, which is awesome. Downsides are that its stiff (which i don't mind at all, but YMMV) and it's expensive. But I had this in for 2 days straight after a haircut, we're talking waking around in the hot sacramento sun, sleeping in a motel, then doing it again the next day. 'Mega hold' is right.
A cheaper alternative is Axe pomade (doesn't smell too bad actually, and if you hate that container just put it in the microwave for 45 seconds and dump the contents into an empty royal crown container ;) )
I'm going to try that krew comb stuff ive seen recommended here as soon as i can find it. I'd also like to try some called LaBella Water based pomade... any experience with this? seems really inexpensive.

Here's me with my pomp, using layrite.
090813_0049-1.jpg

Looks good Bustercat! I can recommend a site where you can find the Krew Comb, it is: www.thegreaseshop.com They carry a very extensive line of pomades,grease, traditional hair dressings, and tonics. I used to use the Krew Comb product daily when I sported a high and tight flattop when I was in the reserves, only down side to it was it seemed to sometimes break down in the heat when I would sweat. I have never tried it when I sported a pompadour. These days I opt for more of a 40's/50's taper cut side parted with a nice quiff. When I want my quiff to stand tall I will mix in some Super Layrite with Groom and Clean- a great combo for high shine and control.

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Sweet Georgia Brown pomade

FORGET ALL OTHERS! SWEET GEORGIA BROWN IS QUEEN AND DAMNED RIGHT FOR IT! My grandfather and father have used the stuff since at least the 40s when my grandfather came over here after the war. It's AMAZING and I still use it for formal occasions when I don't feel like using Brylcreem. (Brylcreem has been cheaper and easier to get for many years now, unfortunately...)

imported_Rockin_Bones

New in Town
Mixtures work great

Hey I've found that if you put an ample amount of layrite superhold in your hair and kind of let it dry (not 100% necessary) and then put a coat of black and white it works amazingly!
It gives a murrays hold but washes out with one or two washings with prell shampoo depending on how often you wash it.
I do a nice medium pomp everyday with it and it works great.
Sweet georgia brown purple also works great as a top coat to layrite superhold for the same effect.
So if your like i was, and searching for a pomade like murays that didnt make you feel like you would be bald by thirty lol then try this out.

Maguire

Practically Family
I usually use IC gel everyday and recently at a walmart noticed IC makes a pomade. I liked it, but royal crown is still my favorite. However i'm still not really sure how to use pomade, as silly as that sounds. I can never slick my hair back because its curly and such, and i'm not sure if you're supposed to wash pomade out daily or leave it in or whatnot.

fallbackdown82

New in Town
I am a barber in training, and I am sporting a pomp as of late. I use Murray's with a thin "layer" of royal crown on top for shine. Layrite doesn't have the shine you get from real pomade. Although being able to wash it out is a luxury. I hate the American crew stuff. No hold and smells very strong.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
I recently started using a german pomade called Schmeire (which means 'grease' in german). Big tins, literally smells like bubble gum and valve grease. Not too strong smelling. I use the medium hold, and I like it quite a bit! A bit pricey for anyone not in Europe though:

pomade_schmiere_mittel.jpg

Dulouz

Familiar Face
Hello everyone,

I'm very new to TFL. I've been having a great time here reading your posts, especially here in the Attire forum.

I recently started using pomade. I just bought a tin of Murray's. I like the feel and hold of it, but I think the smell will definitely have to grow on me. I've been looking for some Royal Crown around town, but to no avail. I've looked at drugstores and beauty supply stores. The only place I haven't checked is Rite Aid. I'm thinking about making a trip down there tomorrow.

I've looked online and found many pomades that I would like to try, but I can't quite bring myself to pay $7 + shipping (generally another $5-7) for one tin of pomade no matter how amazing it smells.

John

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Dulouz said:
Hello everyone,

I'm very new to TFL. I've been having a great time here reading your posts, especially here in the Attire forum.

I recently started using pomade. I just bought a tin of Murray's. I like the feel and hold of it, but I think the smell will definitely have to grow on me. I've been looking for some Royal Crown around town, but to no avail. I've looked at drugstores and beauty supply stores. The only place I haven't checked is Rite Aid. I'm thinking about making a trip down there tomorrow.

I've looked online and found many pomades that I would like to try, but I can't quite bring myself to pay $7 + shipping (generally another $5-7) for one tin of pomade no matter how amazing it smells.

John
I don't know if they have it there, but Harris Teeter sells RC. The original Murray's doesn't give shine, only a dark greasy look. RC is great for shine. If you can't find it anywhere, stock up and buy more than one tin online and only pay shipping for one.

FreezeKitty

New in Town
Certain Pomades & Haircut

I've been using this Japanese pomade called Fiber Grease but its so expensive so ive been looking at either Sweet Georgia Brown in the Purple Tin and Royal Crown i'm not sure which is best.

and then i'm trying to grow out my hair for a sick pompadour but i'm not sure what kind of stuff to ask my barber when i go to her next time.

this is my hair now

psycpaper1.jpg

and i'm trying to get the hair that John Travolta had in Grease the kind that goes forward.

TravoltaPompadourHair.jpg

thanks for constructive help ^_^:D

mattfink

Practically Family
I would guess that John Travolta's hair came from a ton of hairspray and an army of on set hair stylists. His hair appears to be shorter on the top than on the sides. Royal Crown is pretty thin and I have no experience with SGB in the purple tin. You might try Layrite, but that can be pricey too. What are you paying for the Japanese goo?

FreezeKitty

New in Town
$27.50 for it... its some real expensive stuff so i'm looking for a replacement because the japanese stuff has amazing hold and it washes out and smells really nice but the price is insane because of it bein imported. I tried Layrite before and it was ... eh, used to use Murrays but then i heard it could mess up your head in the long run so i stopped using it

mattfink

Practically Family
Did you dry your hair before using the Layrite? Not sure if you're going to find a water based pomade with much better hold.

FreezeKitty

New in Town
yeah i always put layrite on my hair when its dry. the only main reason why i use water based pomades is because I like to wash my hair out like every three days and when i used murrays it was a nightmare to take out. are there other types of non water based that arent as tough a murrays?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points