Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pomade

Dulouz

Familiar Face
Earlier this week my father-in-law ordered me some SGB in the purple can after I delivered some free orange wood for his smoker. It should be arriving at my house today. Very excited to give it a try.

When I had a ducktail, I used Tres Flores pomade. It's similar to Vaselene, but much thicker, and has a fantastic hold, but isn't quite as difficult to work with as Murray's or something of the like. I have done away with the D.A now, and just use Brylcreem on the top and Vitalis on the sides and back.

Dulouz

Familiar Face
habberdasher said:
I've always wanted to try that-but I can't afford $7 for a tin!
Plus shipping.

Yeah, that's what has kept me from rushing out an buying up a bunch of tins. This one is a gift. I imagine probably anymore I get later on will also have to be gifts.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
I have some pomade up for sale on a shave forum I frequent : http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40176

I found American Crew to have great shine but more of a cement hold. Did not need that. I used KMS Pomade for something locally available, probably the best of the lot until they discontinued it. Then I found henryblaine.com and Cool Grease. Lots of guys over at mensessentials.com loved it. Here are pics

P4050379.jpg

P4050380.jpg

P4050381.jpg

P4050383.jpg

P4050382.jpg

memphislawyer

Practically Family
The Cool Grease was used by me because my hair is thin and thinning on top. Baby fine almost. I cut it short on top with scissors and had a little spike thing going. Too much pomade made it greasy and too little gave no shine. I am now using a fibre gum and may try the Sally's version of American Crew Fibre. I am cutting it now more in the style of a Caesar cut, kinda like how George Clooney wore his in a movie. Close on top pushed down the forehead, kinda like how David Letterman's is, but the sides also pushed forward a bit. My hair is much thinner than Letterman's. Since it is not elevated like the spike cut, I dont need as much shine.

Yea, gels and fibres tend to give you helmet head, but better than hair spray clogging your scalp poors. Also is it pliable still somewhat with the fibre gum. Figure it won't be much problem with a hat since I dont need to keep it aloft, lol, not that I could much anyway.

Anyone wants the pomades, I think it is a fair price, just PM me or email me at memphislawyer@aol.com

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I'm a ...Sweet Georgia Brown

Sweet Georgia Brown and Murray's kind of guy!!;)

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DAExrFCVVT0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DAExrFCVVT0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Dulouz

Familiar Face
My tin of Sweet Georgia Brown was delivered to my door last night. Now I understand what all the fuss over the smell is about.

Too bad I won't be able to use it for another week or so when I get a decent haircut.

On a side note, I read last night that the hairstylist for Mad Men uses American Crew Pomade for on Jon Hamm and the other fellas.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Im not kidding you, this is literally the best pomade out there. No more mixing pomades for hold and shine, this is it. Ive tried Murrays Original, Murrays Nu Nile, Royal Crown, Blue Magic, Schmiere, and Sweet Georgia brown (blue and red tins, and I also think it smells disgusting, like vanilla menthol vapor rub).

Its manufactured by a high end french brand called Hairgum. So its not some crap mixture of petroleum and beeswax (which is why the big tins are so cheap) and therefore wont damage your hair. Its not the cheapest, especially if you live in the states.

You can contact him on both Myspace and Facebook if you want a tin.

http://www.facebook.com/people/RnR-MotherKutter/652837096

http://www.myspace.com/something_hells

I think eventually 'The Grease Shop' will stock it, and eventually Pomade-Shop.eu will stock it as well.

Sorry if this sounds like some lengthy promo for it, but I love this stuff. Best ever.

motherkutter.gif

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Its not necessarily damaging, its just cheap crap. I know I know, its been around for ages, but that doesnt mean a thing. When I used Murrays my hair looked really unhealthy if that makes sense.

But I read your post about not being able to afford $7 a tin, Mr. DTs is £6, and thats before the exchange rate. It truly is the absolute best Ive used personally, and easily the best cut.

armod

Familiar Face
american crew has a nice selection of pomades and waxes.

the stuff I'm using now is called grooming cream and has a very high shine and enough hold to last a whole day without the need to touch my hair.

having said that I don't wear a pompadour but a side part with a backward sweep at the front but I really don't use that much so it could still work for you.

the best part is I can still put my fingers through it.

If you preferred Murray's, there's tricks to washing it out. Dawn dish soap works, or lather up your hair with clarifying shampoo before showering, that's what I do to get the brylcreem and vitalis out.

FreezeKitty said:
yeah i always put layrite on my hair when its dry. the only main reason why i use water based pomades is because I like to wash my hair out like every three days and when i used murrays it was a nightmare to take out. are there other types of non water based that arent as tough a murrays?

Hornby

New in Town
Black & White's

Hey.

I am a Black & White's Genuine Pluko Pomade man!

I wear quite the big Quiff/Pomp and with a lil bit of heat(blow drying it up and out at the front) and a good dollop of Black & White's well worked between the palms then smoothed over the hair, one final fix up with a comb and i'm all set for the day.

I have tried Sweet Georgia Brown, Murray's, Dax, Brylcreem and none of them work as well for me as Black & White's.

Oh and it smell's great!

H..*

Dulouz

Familiar Face
habberdasher said:
Maybe they've changed since. After all, the article was written in October 2008.
Good point. I didn't think about that. Brett over at Art of Manliness was working off of an article that was sent to him from American Crew with quotes from Gloria Ponce. I don't know when it was written.

Here's what it said:

2. What's the one hair product you can't live without on the set of Mad Men?

American Crew Pomade and the Grooming Spray. In the 50s and 60s men were constantly combing back their hair to keep it looking slick and put-together, so I try to do that for them so it lasts for hours. The American Crew Pomade and Fiber come in jars that make it easy for me to dip my fingers in and smooth down a flyaway or the hair on the back a man’s neck. They are easy to use, don’t make a mess.

4. What are your favorite American Crew products for each character?

I love using American Crew Pomade because it gives great hold, and is easy to work with and gives the hair tremendous shine. Another product I frequently use is the American Crew Firm Hold Styling Gel because it has ultimate holding power and helps the hair look thicker and shinier without drying the hair out, which is exactly the look we are trying to achieve on Don Draper. Finally, some of my other go-to products are American Crew Fiber for thicker hair, Grooming Cream for wavier hair and the Grooming Spray for gray hair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner