Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pomade

McFarlaneNYC

Familiar Face
I have used several Different products over the years:
IMG_0196.jpg

The best of which I think is 'Groom and Clean'. It shines and holds, but does not make your hair a shell, allows it to breeze, and still gives it a natural feeling. in CLose Second is the American Crew Forming Cream (green capped). After that I like the Pomade and lastly the fiber.
Here is a picture of my hair with 'Groom and Clean'
IMG_0192.jpg

Charlie

imported_Rockin_Bones

New in Town
mixtures

hello there
well i have tried exhausting amounts of products to hold my pompadour up all day how i want it
ive found that no one product can do exactly what i want but if you mix some you get terrific outcomes
try layrite superhold with a coat of black and white over it
i dont really like layrite on its own either so dont be put off by that,

it gives murrays type hold and its shiny but due to the layrite it washes out with one or two washings depending on your shampoo (i suggest Prell, found at most walmarts and such)

try it out and if you put the right amounts of each pomade in you should be satisfied.

P.S.
put the black & white in after the layrite has somewhat dried if possible, ive found it seems to work better and wash out easier for some reason.

hope i helped =]

FreezeKitty

New in Town
urgh ya ive been making combination with using Fiber Grease or Layrite Super Hold as the main holding base with Sweet Georgia brown as a 2nd coating to give it flexibility and then top it with brylcreem for shine but the cowlicks i have are being a pain in the you know where.

Dulouz

Familiar Face
A kid in the youth group I teach has a half-full jar of American Crew pomade that he said he doesn't use anymore. He said he'd bring it to me on Sunday. I'm pretty excited. I'll have tins of Murray's, SGB purple, and AC. Plenty of different holds and scents to choose from.

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Dulouz said:
A kid in the youth group I teach has a half-full jar of American Crew pomade that he said he doesn't use anymore. He said he'd bring it to me on Sunday. I'm pretty excited. I'll have tins of Murray's, SGB purple, and AC. Plenty of different holds and scents to choose from.
It might have some hairs in it!

habberdasher

A-List Customer
McFarlaneNYC said:
I have used several Different products over the years:
IMG_0196.jpg

The best of which I think is 'Groom and Clean'. It shines and holds, but does not make your hair a shell, allows it to breeze, and still gives it a natural feeling. in CLose Second is the American Crew Forming Cream (green capped). After that I like the Pomade and lastly the fiber.
Here is a picture of my hair with 'Groom and Clean'
IMG_0192.jpg

Charlie
That's cool-it looks like your hair's a shell but it isn't. I should try it.

imported_Rockin_Bones

New in Town
Hornby said:
Hey.

I am a Black & White's Genuine Pluko Pomade man!

I wear quite the big Quiff/Pomp and with a lil bit of heat(blow drying it up and out at the front) and a good dollop of Black & White's well worked between the palms then smoothed over the hair, one final fix up with a comb and i'm all set for the day.

I have tried Sweet Georgia Brown, Murray's, Dax, Brylcreem and none of them work as well for me as Black & White's.

Oh and it smell's great!

H..*

do you blowdry before or after you put in the black and white?

tylerevansokay

One of the Regulars
I'd venture for some Layrite Super Hold and top it off with Royal Crown pomade. Layrite is a little expensive, but once you get the amount and how to use it down, it's really worth it. Royal Crown pomade can be used as a topper to add shine and more manageability, since Layrite is hard to manage once it sets.
Also, note that it's Royal Crown POMADE, not the hair dressing. Slight difference in packaging, but a completely different formula, smell, and hold.

This is the hair dressing:
royal-crown-hair-dressing_h.jpg

And this is the pomade (as spotted in Walk the Line if you look closely enough):
Royal-Crown-Pomade-3oz.jpg

tylerevansokay

One of the Regulars
Oh and also, in case you're on a really tight budget, there's this stuff:

hp-sty-tre104.jpg

Holds like original Layrite, smells like a barbershop. It's only $3 a can at Fiesta Food Stores here in town, so look for it if you're not wanting to spend the cash for Layrite. It's decent stuff.

FreezeKitty

New in Town
thanks. If the Royal Crown pomade can be used as a topper/shine/manageability. Then whats the Hairdressing do? I bought the hairdressing off walgreens.com since i can't find royal crown anywhere and I never even knew there was a RC pomade. I though the hairdressing was it.

AtomicEraTom said:
If you preferred Murray's, there's tricks to washing it out. Dawn dish soap works, or lather up your hair with clarifying shampoo before showering, that's what I do to get the brylcreem and vitalis out.

Non-conditioning (straight) shampoo is hard to find sometimes, but it is the second strongest detergent in the house and second only to dish detergent, but stronger than liquid laundry detergent.

Dish detergent may cause problems fo someone with allergies or sensative skin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy