Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pomade

FreezeKitty

New in Town
tylerevansokay said:
If you run your fingers around it in a circle, it softens up and comes out easily. It's soft but provides an awesome hold.

sick thanks gonna buy some online i cant find it in any stores ANYWHERE in northern CA >.<

filfoster

One Too Many
Dapper Dan

John in Covina said:
If you pop Dapper Dan in the search engine on Ebay amongst the toys listed are scattered Dapper Dan movie prop reproductions.

Some reproduction tins and what looked like ashtrays came up just moments ago.

There was even a FOP tin too!
I am profligate enough to buy one at this price, if it's still there when I get home to access ebay.

Slicksuit said:
My experience is that you have to work the dickens out of the stuff to make it blend well with your hair. As much as I've tried to emulsify Murray's with my fingers, it still comes up as little flecks in my hair. I've only tried it on damp hair, though. Maybe better results with dry hair?

I have another brand of pomade called M Professional that I got some time ago. It's pretty thick but I found that putting a few drops of Vitalis on the top dissolves a top layer and it can be applied easy. When the alcohol in the Vitalis evaporates the pomade remains, with a touch of Vitalis in it.

habberdasher

A-List Customer
You can't work with Murray's or any other thick pomade with wet hair or fingers-it turns it into bits that won't turn into a paste and stays dry so it won't spread.

Dulouz

Familiar Face
I check out our local privately-owned (read: run-down) drugstore and found a few older products. Vitalis and Top Brass are the ones that caught my eye.

kools

Practically Family
My current go-to is the very fragrant Sweet Georgia Brown in the red can. A bit lightweight for my top, so I am often going with something heavier like AGS 90w for balance.

SGB-Red_m.jpg

habberdasher

A-List Customer
I recently stopped using Murrays except for very stubborn cowlicks and even then only lightly because it makes my hair feel all artificial (it turns it stiff straight from crazy curly) and it's hard to wash it out. I use Royal Crown, which has a decent hold and great shine which doesn't straighten my curly hair, but controls it to a nice wave, and it also keeps my cowlicks down if I comb my hair first with some water.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Just thought I would chime in here.
I have been using Murray's for a couple years now. I find that it is not terribly difficult to wash out, as long as you don't use very much of it. It is really easy to use too much. I tend to take a couple fingertips of the stuff and work it into my hair at strategic places, and then do a lot of combing to make it work.

I have not tried other pomades yet, but most modern style products will not hold my hair. I have very thick, pin-straight hair and it falls into my face no matter what i do in addition to having a crest of cowlicks like a bird at the back of my head. Hair glue, the stuff one uses for mohawks, also works, but it is disgusting.

So here are the results, for anyone who cares to look.
Photo193.jpg

habberdasher

A-List Customer
You're right, modern stuff doesn't work. I have curly hair with cowlicks but it doesn't fall onto my face ever. I only use it on cowlicks and parts that won't get controlled by RC.

tylerevansokay

One of the Regulars
Layrite Super Hold + Royal Crown pomade = the best solution for my hair ever. Keeps it soft, shiny, and smelling amazing and holds it in place all day long.

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Can anyone please explain the hold for Brylcreem? I know it has high shine but it never is mentioned what the hold intensity is. I assume it's a medium hold like RC, but I'm not sure.

Andreww2401

New in Town
Significantly less hold than RC. You won't be getting anything too unnatural with Brylecreem alone. If I ever use it, it's on top of the pomade I already have in.

bigbjorn

New in Town
Brylcreem has light hold. What is good about it is that you can wet a comb and run it through your hair and Brylcreem will continue to provide good hold. Ideal for hat wearers.

rikrdo

A-List Customer
Has anyone had the opportunity to try the Dapperman Pomade yet ??

................and for those of you who dislike Murrays: Have you ever applied it, combed it in and THEN hot air styled it??
Works pretty good for me :)

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Thanks for the help! Some others I'm considering: black and white (does it have a medium hold?) and Murray's Super Light (does it have good shine?) I'm looking for a new medium-hold, high shine pomade good for everyday use that'll control curly, frizzy hair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy