Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pomade

FreezeKitty

New in Town
John in Covina said:
Non-conditioning (straight) shampoo is hard to find sometimes, but it is the second strongest detergent in the house and second only to dish detergent, but stronger than liquid laundry detergent.

Dish detergent may cause problems fo someone with allergies or sensative skin.

im dun with murrays. I hate the stuff. too much of a pain to take out

FreezeKitty

New in Town
FreezeKitty said:
im dun with murrays. I hate the stuff. too much of a pain to take out

yeah id use dish soap then olive oil to take it out, but with murrays in general im done with it. the stuff was so hard on my hair i just didnt like it in general. Ive swayed towards sweet georgia brown and layrite super hold but i cant get my hair in the right way whether it be the length, my technique or what I just can't seem to get a good look outta it. my hair is really really thick and hard to manage

btw If Royal Crown pomade can be used as a topper/shine/manageability. Then whats the Hairdressing do? I bought the hairdressing off walgreens.com since i can't find royal crown anywhere and I never even knew there was a RC pomade. I thought the hairdressing was it. does the pomade hold better than the dressing?

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Hornby said:
Hey.

I am a Black & White's Genuine Pluko Pomade man!

I wear quite the big Quiff/Pomp and with a lil bit of heat(blow drying it up and out at the front) and a good dollop of Black & White's well worked between the palms then smoothed over the hair, one final fix up with a comb and i'm all set for the day.

I have tried Sweet Georgia Brown, Murray's, Dax, Brylcreem and none of them work as well for me as Black & White's.

Oh and it smell's great!

H..*

:arated: when I'm wearing a pomp instead of a fedora.. :eek:

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
I'm a Dapper Dan man, myself....;)

Picture5397.jpg

m_005548.jpg

Rob

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
It doesn't, and you can't, Freezekitty...it doesn't exist! :)

I was making a "hair jelly joke" from the movie Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?...Dapper Dan is a fictional pomade! ;)
Rob

FreezeKitty

New in Town
lol no kidding. dont think ive ever heard of a fictional pomade but noyce. anybody still know the difference between royal crown hairdressing vs the pomade?

Bustercat

A-List Customer
Dulouz said:
From what I've found on www.pomade-shop.eu there is no difference besides the packaging.

There is a difference: the hairdressing is a goop with a consistency similar to cold rubber cement or custard and a smell like an elderly lady of the night. The pomade has barely any smell and is more like murrays, a stiff block of petrolatum. Same stuff, sure, and so is murrays, dax, black and white.. its all just wax, petrolatum, oil, etc. in different proportions, with different scents, and in different cans.

To the OP — the one variable that seems to be missing from all the stuff you've been trying is a proper haircut. It makes all the difference. A good cut will have you putting less product and time into your hair-- it will do what you want it to.

Finding a cutter who will do the job right can be tough, though.
Shop around for a good barber, even google "rockabilly barber" or similar and see what you can find in your area. In anycase, bring in a picture.

And have you tried American Crew fiber? not cheap either (18.00 a can), and matte, not glossy... but it holds great.

tylerevansokay

One of the Regulars
Dulouz said:
From what I've found on www.pomade-shop.eu there is no difference besides the packaging.

The hair dressing is more of a slick... it smells awful, and holds the hair down, barely any hold for height at all. The pomade smells masculine and has a medium hold, very similar to Black and White to me. It's a huge difference. Go with the pomade.

Dulouz

Familiar Face
Bustercat said:
...its all just wax, petrolatum, oil, etc. in different proportions, with different scents, and in different cans.

After I posted I started wondering if the difference was possible the proportions. They are both just petroleum, olive oil, and fragrance. Sounds like the dressing probably just more olive oil than the pomade and with a different fragrance.

FreezeKitty

New in Town
how tough is the Royal Crown Pomade? like murrays is hard as rock in the tin can and when i did use murrays i had to heat up the tin to even take it out, but how about the royal crown pomade how hard is it in the can?

tylerevansokay

One of the Regulars
FreezeKitty said:
how tough is the Royal Crown Pomade? like murrays is hard as rock in the tin can and when i did use murrays i had to heat up the tin to even take it out, but how about the royal crown pomade how hard is it in the can?

If you run your fingers around it in a circle, it softens up and comes out easily. It's soft but provides an awesome hold.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
filfoster said:
There would be a huge (a lie: small but loyal) market for this product!

I agree; I have a prop can I made for the dash of my car, using my desktop printer, glossy adhesive print paper, and a metal potpourri candle tin...it looks darn near screen accurate, and everyone wants to know where I bought it! lol
Rob

If you pop Dapper Dan in the search engine on Ebay amongst the toys listed are scattered Dapper Dan movie prop reproductions.

Some reproduction tins and what looked like ashtrays came up just moments ago.

There was even a FOP tin too!

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the tip, John! I hadn't searched that in a few years....hmm---15 to 35 bucks for an empty tin? It's nice, but I think I only have about 3 bucks in my repro! ;)

I do like the Fop can...hmmm...looks like a creative design turn at the ol' Adobe Illustrator is needed....I really need a companion can for my Dapper Dan tin! lol
Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy