Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pomade

Schofields

Familiar Face
habberdasher said:
Thanks for the help! Some others I'm considering: black and white (does it have a medium hold?) and Murray's Super Light (does it have good shine?) I'm looking for a new medium-hold, high shine pomade good for everyday use that'll control curly, frizzy hair.

castor oil

PhantomKnight

New in Town
Applying Pomade: the two easiest ways

On the topic of the easiest way to apply the thick pomade to hair.

I am a huge Elvis fan and so i love sporting the pompadour but with my curly, CURLY, CURLY!!! hair that is almost impossible. Until i discovered pomade. The trouble was applying it to my hair easily considering how thick it is.

The easiest way ever, EVER ever EVER ever (if you have the time) is to sit it on the tin on a hot surface (like a frying pan) and let it melt. This has been mentioned, i think, on the Murray's website. If you take the time you will notice how easy it is - the thick pomade becomes as smooth as shampoo and goes in just as easily to damp, post-shower hair.

The other method i use if i don't have as much time is to get in the shower with my tin of pomade and place it down somewhere (i get the best results by just dropping it on the floor of the shower). The heat not only helps your hair receive the pomade but the pomade softens a little.

I then grab a little out of the can when i am about to finish my shower and work it into my hands while letting hot water run directly over it. It is amazing how easy it then becomes to just do the ol' 'hair mussing' to yourself and watch it all get worked in like a charm.

On the issue of the flakes; they come about by exceeding what i like to call your hairs 'saturation point' (which, when you think about it, is pretty obvious).

mrbork

New in Town
brylcreem boy said:
Yeah and a little goes a long way- that stuff is way greasy/oily
Vasoline Hair Tonic is simply mineral oil with a little fragrance. Try your local beauty supply; there are usually many different kinds and combinations of oils you can try out. Some of them are great for shine, depending on our hair type. How's it going with the Groom&Clean, Brylcreem Boy? I use it every day, usually after having a go with Vitalis. Great shine and hold.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
mrbork said:
Vasoline Hair Tonic is simply mineral oil with a little fragrance. Try your local beauty supply; there are usually many different kinds and combinations of oils you can try out. Some of them are great for shine, depending on our hair type. How's it going with the Groom&Clean, Brylcreem Boy? I use it every day, usually after having a go with Vitalis. Great shine and hold.

The Groom and Clean is my daily go to now. It washes out easily and I also start off with Vitalis. I usually shower and towel dry my hair damp and then saturate it with Vitalis and apply groom and clean and its good for the day. The picture in my avatar was taken right after applying these 2 products.. My good friend Kerry shot that picture and the hair turned out nicely for it.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
habberdasher said:
For your style did you first comb your hair back, then combed over it but still keeping the front combed back creating a poof?

Sorry for the delayed reply. After working in about a quarter sized dollup of groom and clean. I then comb in a sharp part, once the part is there I comb the parted hair straight back, then recomb the part leaving the front up and back. On windy days I will lock it all in with a quick blast of hairspray in the front to keep the quiff in place.

habberdasher

A-List Customer
brylcreem boy said:
Sorry for the delayed reply. After working in about a quarter sized dollup of groom and clean. I then comb in a sharp part, once the part is there I comb the parted hair straight back, then recomb the part leaving the front up and back. On windy days I will lock it all in with a quick blast of hairspray in the front to keep the quiff in place.
So you do comb over the front combed back, creating a quiff?

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Lets hear it for Groom and Clean

This stuff is great for the classic parted or slicked back haircuts of the 30's, 40's and 50's. I have been using about a quarter sized dollup of this stuff with a little vitalis and man does my hair have a deep shine. It is easy to recomb and keeps my parted style in place all day. It is water rinsable- so if nothing else is used it comes out clean when you wash your hair once. if you have not tried it, you owe it to yourself to give it a try.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
After I got my long hair cut off, I used V05 gelwax to keep my hair in place, but it didn't last through the day. So I tried Alberto Balsam hair wax, which despite being dirt cheap actually holds very well all day, though it gives me worse than usual hat hair.

I had been a bit leery of Brylcreem after reading some comments on it, but decided to give it a go anyway. Holy cow, I love this stuff! I got the Original anti-dandruff, so it has a slight lemon scent. I don't know if the regular original has the lemon. It holds my hair better than the V05 or hair wax, but keeps it soft and doesn't set up like cement. It combs back easily, doesn't let my hair take the shape of my hat crown, and it gives a shine to my hair without looking slicked down with bear grease.

Cheers
Nick

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
brylcreem boy said:
This stuff is great for the classic parted or slicked back haircuts of the 30's, 40's and 50's. I have been using about a quarter sized dollup of this stuff with a little vitalis and man does my hair have a deep shine. It is easy to recomb and keeps my parted style in place all day. It is water rinsable- so if nothing else is used it comes out clean when you wash your hair once. if you have not tried it, you owe it to yourself to give it a try.

Where do you find it, Bcb?
Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points