Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pomade

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Been using Brylcreem since I was 13 thinking I may try something else. Lots of cool stuff on this forum but does anyone know what’s available in Canada?
Johnny

johnnycanuck

True. Shipping is usually a killer though. Don't want to spent $35 for a $15 tin of pomade. Know what I mean?
Johnny

Hat Dandy

One of the Regulars
True. Shipping is usually a killer though. Don't want to spent $35 for a $15 tin of pomade. Know what I mean?
Johnny

I know exactly what you mean. Residing in Canada has it perks but winter and the cost of shipping here are not any of them. Don't get me started on the taxation. :eusa_doh:

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Johnny

I would at least try contacting some of the pomade stores such as Mr. Pomade from pomade.com to at least see what he charges for shipping to Canada on average. You are probably right about the astronomical costs, but it is worth a shot. I'll have to see if there are any major sellers in Canada.

johnnycanuck

Walmart didn't seem to have anything. Stopped by shoppers drug Mart today and found Murrays superior and Dax wave and groom. Thinking I should check out the other drug shops to see what I could find.
Johnny

Can't believe I just saw this thread. I remember the Brylcreem commercials from when I was a kid and my mom using it on me. "Brylcreem, a little dab'll do ya". Now, if I could just remember when I had hair.

Mantis

Familiar Face
Mates,

I have tried a lot of pomades in the past few years. But Lockharts is the best! This stuff is homemade by a husband and wife in Michigan and it is sold through their Etsy store. Get their variety pack and you will not regret it. I swear by this stuff. https://www.etsy.com/shop/Lockharts They have different scents and strenghts to fit any of your needs, you will be swatting the ladies off of you like flies.

here are some of my hairstyles with Lockhart's, each one of these was styled with a different Pomade from their line

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Yup, Lockhart's is one of my favorites. Pomps Not Dead, O'Doud's All Natural, and Shear Revival are my other favorites.

sola fide

One of the Regulars
As a kid my favorite was Old Spice pomade. The Old Spice smelled nice and had good consistency. I used to use Tres Flores and Dixie Peach. I have not tried Murray's, but my son uses it. Maybe Murrays is up next

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Murray's is not the best oil based pomade. Try something like Lockhart's first. Murray's is a PITA to use and is very hard to get out. It may turn you off to oil based pomades.

Cocker

Practically Family
Tried some pomade for the first time this week. I decided on Tuesday that it was time for a a real haircut, and went to a local barber shop. The guy is rocking full vintage style, and is well known in the community of WW2 reenactors, custom bikes and so on. Went on for nothing too fancy, shorter on the side and neck, longer and combed back on top. He advised me to try Layrite Super Hold, and I must say I'm pretty satisfied with it. Relatively easy to apply and comb, and it holds on pretty strong. Will have to try some Reuzel green or blue next time.

Steffen101

New in Town
If you want the same usability like the Layrite SH you should test the Reuzel Red or Blue, the Green one is a real Oil based Pomade which doesn't wash out very easy like every Oil Based Pomade. If you want even more hold then the Layrite SH but don't need the Shine test out the Layrite Cement, got it earlier this week, good Product.

Cocker

Practically Family
Talked with the barber yesterday, and he just received the blue Reuzel. Apparently, this stuff is really great!

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Reuzel Green is pretty good, but the Blue and Red are pretty standard gel pomades. If you want convenience, hold, and washability, check out some home-brewed water-based pomades from Flagship and O'Doud's. Also, The Daimon Barber makes gel pomades better than Reuzel IMO.

sartana

New in Town
I just go with Murry's. The price can not be beat, nor can the hold. The primary complaint seems to be that it is 'hard to wash out'. My answer to that is, so? I use it every day and as such, that is not a problem. Frankly, it is better to not wash completely out as it can make it a bit of a challenge to get it back into your hair. You don't need much and because of that, it is not overly greasy. I had previously used Brylcreem and Murry's is much less greasy. It is really not that hard to use. The way I see it, all these new esoteric/hipster brands are trying to reinvent something that has been around for almost 100 years, all the while having less holding power and often they are quadruple the price (or more).

Steffen101

New in Town
Reuzel Green is pretty good, but the Blue and Red are pretty standard gel pomades. If you want convenience, hold, and washability, check out some home-brewed water-based pomades from Flagship and O'Doud's. Also, The Daimon Barber makes gel pomades better than Reuzel IMO.

The Problem with the Home brewed Pomades is that they Are mostly made in the U.S. which means it has to be send to Europe which costs often the same as the product itself or even more and 30$ or more for 1 Jar of Pomade is quite a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points