Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pomade

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I'll be out of Murray's soon, and that might be a good time to buy all new stuff and experiment. All three of the Sweet Georgia Brown varieties, some of the LayRite, and maybe try and find Royal Crown pomade.

Hugh Beaumont

One of the Regulars
Growing up in Hawaii, I used Tancho for years. It's an Indonesian pomade.It comes in a push up tube. It has a lot of bees wax in it so you liiterally have to soften it up with a hairdryer as you apply it. It's hard to get here on the mainland and it's not cheap.

Also from Hawaii is pomade called Brilliantine. It's basically floral scented vaseline. A lot of the old Japanese and Filipino men use Brilliantine, so when I use it, my wife (who is Filipino) says I smell like an old Filipino man.

If I didn't use Tancho, I used Sweet Georgia Brown, then Murray's. I love the smell of Sweet Georgia Brown. Right now I use Royal Crown. I know it stinks, but I find it holds better and looks wetter longer. Another reason I use RC is I as I get older and my hair gets more grey, I'm starting to style it like George Clooney's. The RC holds it better.

I've tried the American Crew products and just didn't think they held up for the price.

I discovered yet another great pomade that I am beginning to use a lot. It's called "Grease" by Sebastian Professional. It has the consistancy of RC, but smells great. I can't find it locally, so I get it on Ebay (I'll buy two or three jars at a time). The reason I like RC and Grease is the petroleum jelly maintains the wet look a lot longer. Wax based pomades look dry after a short while, even though they maintain the hold.

I don't know how many of you use Brylcreem before your pomade. I use Brylcreem as more of a daily conditioner, even if I don't apply pomade.

Hugh Beaumont

One of the Regulars
scotrace said:
I'll be out of Murray's soon, and that might be a good time to buy all new stuff and experiment. All three of the Sweet Georgia Brown varieties, some of the LayRite, and maybe try and find Royal Crown pomade.

You can get Royal crown at Walmart or K-mart.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
scotrace said:

I can get you some Royal Crown if you can't find it.

What about Wildroot? It's classic.

e1638bf7-cbdc-47a4-8eb8-2e9756e87f7b.jpg

Everyday, Brylcreem (a little dab'll do ya! lol ).

I'll add American Crew Grooming Cream if it's a bad hair day, or it's a formal event.

berwynguy

New in Town
American Greaser Supply, Groom & Clean, Brylcreem

I use Brylcreem Original (not gel) for everyday use, but also like American Greaser Pomade. Brylcreem washes out easier, but has lighter hold. If I apply a combo of AGS and brylcreem I get the best hold and super slick shine. I have to use more than just 'a little dab' to get the effect I like. I usually use a quarter or so size dab; I find a dime size is not nearly enough.

Another product that works is Groom&Clean. It washes out easily, but it's not what I prefer. Nothin beats the real stuff like brylcreem.

berwynguy

New in Town
Men's Hairstyle Section

The forum should really have a section devoted to men's hair. There's one for the ladies, but I see posts in various sections about mens hair - no common place. I'd like to see how you guys wear your hair - I'm looking for options to try.

mrbork

New in Town
Great idea!

Is there enough interest to start a section devoted to hairstyles for guys? I would certainly hope so, as it's such a part of the complete retro look. Let's hear from some of the other guys!

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Layrite

Well guys, I have always been a petroleum based pomade guy, but recently I took a business trip to SoCal and had the real pleasure of visiting the world famous Hawleywood's barbershop. My cut was done by Donnie Hawleywood himself, after looking at some pics of his work, we decided to taper mine pretty tight on the sides. This guys spent a full hour on my haircut!!

He used Layrite of course on my hair, I was skeptical since it is a water based product. It turned out awesome!, see for yourself on the attached picture, the trick with layrite I have found out is to blowdry your hair up high first and apply the product to your hair while it is dry for better hold, if you apply it to damp hair it is more like a 30 weight. It is expensive and he did use alot....I MEAN ALOT!! Check out the results, My hair was as slick and shiny as armor-alled Tires!! One of the best damn cuts I ever got, this man definitely knows how to cut a Taper!!!!
l_10edb3747f51dd726bcf80870c45b71b.jpg

Jovan

Suspended
CharlestonBows said:
e1638bf7-cbdc-47a4-8eb8-2e9756e87f7b.jpg

Everyday, Brylcreem (a little dab'll do ya! lol ).

I'll add American Crew Grooming Cream if it's a bad hair day, or it's a formal event.
Tell me if I'm wrong but... didn't people hate Brylcreem back then? From all I've heard it was like putting butter in your hair.

I'm currently using Farouk Systems USA "Molding Silk." For sounding all technical, it's actually quite nice. I use it on damp hair and gives a similar effect to some of these products. The shine is about on the level of the guy in my avatar. I'll check out some of these products at the local beauty supply store.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member

Well done! That's a great cut. No one seems to know how to do that in my cornfield.

Jovan, I think Brylcreem was a victim of something called Product Repositioning, wherein a competing product repositions the leading brand in the mind of consumers. Brylcreem was fine and accepted, until the 70's when the makers of hairspray for men started showing pics of men with WAY over gooped hair and labeling it 'the wet look.' From that point, consumers associated Brylcreem with a wet, greasy look. And who wants that? Especially when the competitor is showing women being grossed out by it.
The classic example is Listerine, a mouthwash that was the #1 seller for decades. Along comes Scope. With two words "Medicine Breath," Listerine got toppled from the top spot very quickly.

Remember Brylcreem's instructions: A dab'll do ya." Use a blob the size of a new pencil eraser, and no one will even know it's there. Use a big dollop of it and you look like a greasy drowned guy.

Boris K

One of the Regulars
scotrace said:
... Jovan, I think Brylcreem was a victim of something called Product Repositioning, wherein a competing product repositions the leading brand in the mind of consumers. Brylcreem was fine and accepted, until the 70's when the makers of hairspray for men started showing pics of men with WAY over gooped hair and labeling it 'the wet look.' From that point, consumers associated Brylcreem with a wet, greasy look. And who wants that? Especially when the competitor is showing women being grossed out by it.

I remember that as well - "The wet head is dead" was another competitor tag line.

Hugh Beaumont

One of the Regulars
Brycreem is still one of the best products around behind Royal Crown.

I use Brycreem everyday, not to keep my hair slick, but to keep it nourished and healthy looking.

My medicine cabinet is full of all sorts of pomades (15 at last count) yet I always default to Brylcreem for general hair health and Royal Crown to keep the style in place.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
scotrace said:

Well done! That's a great cut. No one seems to know how to do that in my cornfield.

Jovan, I think Brylcreem was a victim of something called Product Repositioning, wherein a competing product repositions the leading brand in the mind of consumers. Brylcreem was fine and accepted, until the 70's when the makers of hairspray for men started showing pics of men with WAY over gooped hair and labeling it 'the wet look.' From that point, consumers associated Brylcreem with a wet, greasy look. And who wants that? Especially when the competitor is showing women being grossed out by it.
The classic example is Listerine, a mouthwash that was the #1 seller for decades. Along comes Scope. With two words "Medicine Breath," Listerine got toppled from the top spot very quickly.

Remember Brylcreem's instructions: A dab'll do ya." Use a blob the size of a new pencil eraser, and no one will even know it's there. Use a big dollop of it and you look like a greasy drowned guy.

Thanks Scotrace, I'm very proud of the cut and I tipped him $10.00. I think my girlfriend though is one of those who would call me the greasy drowned guy, LOL!! I've been keeping it pretty heavily slicked since the cut and it grosses her out. I guess for me the saying should be: "A Big ol dab'll do ya". Call me old fashioned but I love it when my hair shines like patent leather......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo