Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pomade

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
6StringShooter said:
why is it called "bobbed"?
I'll pull a Wally Cox here. Actually to bob means to cut. They cut their hair from waist-length-and-pinned-up-with-tortoiseshell-slides to ear length. It was quite daring. The bobby pins or bob pins were new being that the metal was squeezed tightly together, to hold the bobbed hair close to the head. So babby pins were named after the haircut.

FredDairy

Familiar Face
With all the rain and wind in chicago my hairspray and gel is not working out. I know, I know I said it would. Meanwhile I had forgotten how GREAT Black and White was.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I tried American Crew this morning. It didn't take much at all to hold my hair. My hair is generally rather obedient. I wasn't sure how to use it, so I took a little dab and mixed it with water, like I would gel, then raked it through my hair. It is working fine, though I am not sure I like the smell of the stuff.

I think, before too long, I am going to collect all of the different hair products, just to see the differences.

I am growing the top of mine out to get that Clark Gable look, so I need to keep it neat for work in the in-between stage.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Hemingway Jones said:
I think, before too long, I am going to collect all of the different hair products, just to see the differences.

As a long time collector of hair product I can say that it doesn't quite beat stamps as a hobby but it does give a lonely boy something to do on a Sunday night.

FredDairy

Familiar Face
jake_fink said:
As a long time collector of hair product I can say that it doesn't quite beat stamps as a hobby but it does give a lonely boy something to do on a Sunday night.

Haha! I've got about 13 of the main pomade brands. Problem is I only used some once or twice.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Hemingway, I just started using American Crew pomade also. I get good results by applying it to damp, towel-dried hair. If you're starting with dry hair, try splashing a bit of water on your hair to moisten it, then apply the pomade. I like Brylcreem too...not nearly as thick or waxy.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mike K. said:
Hemingway, I just started using American Crew pomade also. I get good results by applying it to damp, towel-dried hair. If you're starting with dry hair, try splashing a bit of water on your hair to moisten it, then apply the pomade. I like Brylcreem too...not nearly as thick or waxy.
Thanks Mike K. That's what I thought. I cannot imagine working it through dry hair.

FredDairy

Familiar Face
The American Crew stuff is water soluble there for mixing it with water I guess would have some sort of effect. But the other stuff, "real" pomade is not water soluble, argo it's pointless to mix it with water. Try pouring some water ontop of your open tin of murrays.

Whenever I put "pomade" in my hair is dry. I put the crew fiber in the front when it's wet, dry it, and then rub some black and white on the sides.

SWTroopers

Familiar Face
skbellis said:
....but I have a feeling I am going to have to tweak it with something for more hold. Fun trying to come up with a new hair product combination...lol.

---Scott

Scott, this is what I do, with great results. I mix Groom and Clean with RC Hairdressing at a 1:1 ratio. Hold is just right (solid but not stiff). The other benefit is that the G&C seems to emulsify the RC so that it washes out completely with one washing. When I use strictly RC it usually took 3 washes.

Marc

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My hair is usually a little damp when I apply any pomade (Sweet Georgia Brown is my brand at the moment), and then I use a hair dryer to melt it to my desired softness. It goes back to it's original thickness in a few minutes.
I actually know that American Crew and other "salon" style pomades (the kind that wash out) work better on dry hair.

The real Henry

Practically Family
Ok, most of you will think of this question as kinda strange, but:

Is there any pomade that does not shine?

I haven't used pomade, yet, so I don't know the brands and their attributes, but I know that I want/need a pomade that washes out easily, too.

I know a barbershop that sells American Crew products. Do they make something like I described?

Regards,
Henrik

Barry

Practically Family
I like Kiehl's "Creative Cream Wax." According to their website it's temporarily unavailable. Most of stores in my area don't have it either.

It's somewhere in-between hair cream and pomade. I find that it washes out fairly easily. It's not very greasy or shiny.

Barry

SWTroopers

Familiar Face
The real Henry said:
Ok, most of you will think of this question as kinda strange, but:

Is there any pomade that does not shine?

I haven't used pomade, yet, so I don't know the brands and their attributes, but I know that I want/need a pomade that washes out easily, too.

I know a barbershop that sells American Crew products. Do they make something like I described?

Regards,
Henrik

American Crew has a pomade like product called Fiber that is not shiney. Has pretty good hold.

FredDairy

Familiar Face
flat-top said:
My hair is usually a little damp when I apply any pomade (Sweet Georgia Brown is my brand at the moment), and then I use a hair dryer to melt it to my desired softness. It goes back to it's original thickness in a few minutes.
I actually know that American Crew and other "salon" style pomades (the kind that wash out) work better on dry hair.

I'm a big user of crew fiber and although not technically a pomade that stuff cannot be put into your hair when it's dry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24