Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pomade

6StringShooter

One of the Regulars
I am not thrilled with the Murray's + Hair Glo results....it seems that Hair Glo saps the Murray's of some of it's potency. Maybe I used too much Hair Glo. I used one part Hair Glo to two parts Murray's. I'm not sure if that's too much but i'm gonna try less next time...see what happens. I do like how it makes it shinier though!

griffer

Practically Family
I have used Murray regular and currently have a tin of Murray's Light.

I have also tried Sweet Georgia Brown's, but I am currently using Layrite.

It is stiff, but water soluable. Works something like a gel/pomade hybrid as it will air dry. Day 2 is usually better. (Don't you just love the package art? ;-) )

I follow up the Layrite with Tigi Bed Head Wax Stick.

I use it to tame my part, cowlick and blend the pomp wave on the side of head. It's waxiness lends a softeness to the Layrite.

There, now my secrets are out....

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
You really just have to find the product that works on your hair. What works for one person is not necessarily going to work for someone else.

I didn't have any luck with American Crew, and Layrite doesn't work well for me when I wear a hat. Royal Crown pomade smells better than the RC hair dressing, but neither of them smell great and they get stinkier as the day goes on, especially in a hat and especially in warm weather.

I always come back to Murray's. It's a wax not a grease. It has good hold and is good value since you only have to use a tiny bit at a time. It does not wash out at the end of the day and was never intended to, so it only has to be applied every second or third day. It becomes workable with heat, so apply it after a hot shower and work it in with the blow dryer. I add a little bit of something else for sheen after my hair is combed and dried. Depending on the weather and the scent I feel like I use either a little Vitalis, a little Wildroot or a little Lucky Tiger 3 Purpose with oil.

The trick with Murray's, if it is a trick, is to use just a tiny bit to start with and then work up to what you need to hold your style. I only need a dot of the stuff, less than the size of a dime. Then it has to be heated with the dryer (or run the can under hot water or something) to soften it otherwise you will get chunks and pellets and other unsightly effects. Murray's is my favourite product of all time, and I mean out of all products ever, it's better than Guiness and better than my Macbook and I love both of those products very much. If had as much money as that Remmington guy I'd buy the company.

Vive la Murray's!

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Baron Kurtz said:
I just go natural and don't put any soap in my hair. Most daily-acquired grime will come out just with water but that natural hair grease remains. Good for unruly curls like mine.

bk

Sounds great to me, and I have heard of people doing this, but don't the ladies freak out?

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
FredDairy said:
Murray's is just murder on the hair. You've really gotta have a head of thick full hair to use that stuff. I was a big pomade guy for awhile. When I went to memphis I went to the more soul side of town and got every brand of pomade imaginable. Recently I've gone back to the men's aisle at walgreens and I'm sticking with gels hairsprays and other "greases" from that aisle like brylcreem or groom and clean.

Some products must pull the hair out. For about 6 months I had fairly long hair on top (but tapered high and tight on the sides) and was parting it in the MIDDLE, using some wax to keep it right -- Johnson's maybe. I don't really know why. Actually yes I do -- there was a great photo of T.S. Eliot in the New Yorker with his hair like that. Anyway, parting it that way, even for so short a time, pulled the hairs out in the middle, creating a tiny area of very thin hair. Like a cowlick, but in front. Now I have essentially a reverse widow's peak in the very center of my forehead and I don't like it one bit. In fact, I hate it. I've had to keep it either completely bald to hide it, or long -- I mean, only after it's more than a few inches is the thin area hidden.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
My boyfriend loved Black & White, but found it to be expensive. I'm sure it can be had cheaper online though.

He uses Murray's, even though he's convinced it's making his hair fall out (I'm sure it's not). He uses a lot less than he used to though, he would go through one tin every 3-4 weeks! Then again, he has thick, long hair that he puts up into a pompadour, so he needs a lot of hold.

My favorite style was when he would use Murray's with Royal Crown on top for shine. Maybe my nose is less sensitive than everyone else's, but I can't even smell the Royal Crown when he puts it on.

Gibson

New in Town
I've used most of these products in the last few years. I think some products will work better for certain people but here are my thoughts.

Greasy products - Murray's has great hold but I had to use hand soap to remove. NuNile is similar but has less hold and more shine. Murray's Lite has less hold and is easier to remove. Royal Crown Hairdressing has about the same hold as Murray's Lite and is easier to remove than regular Murray's. Brylcreem has even less hold and is great for that greased back look. It's fairly easy to remove also. My 2 year old got into a can of Murray's Hair Glo. He looked like young Elvis until about the 10th washing with dish washing liquid.

Non or Less Greasy products - These all wash out with regular shampoo. Layrite and American Crew Pomade both provide a decent hold but not as good as Murray's. Groom & Clean provides a light hold similar to Brylcreem.

You might try mixing products like Murray's and Groom & Clean to find what works for you.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I use 'maximum hold' hair gel. That's it. I put gobs of it on when my hair is still damp from the shower. A fine tooth comb makes it neat.

The gel dries and keeps my hair in place. Stays shiny, too. Sure, it's stiff, but that means the hairstyle doesn't lose its form -- and isn't this why folks use 'greasy kids' stuff' in the first place?

What I really like about gel is that it washes out very easily, with no residue. Just a rinse or two with shampoo gets the job done.

griffer

Practically Family
But, Marc, I love the pommades exactly because they don't dry.

I f anything like rain, wind or hat breaks the shellac that is gell, then you are kinda screwed. But with pommade, I can simply comb my hair back into place no matter what the muss is.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
griffer said:
I f anything like rain, wind or hat breaks the shellac that is gell, then you are kinda screwed. But with pommade, I can simply comb my hair back into place no matter what the muss is.

You have a point there about maintenance. The gel route doesn't work well with rain (unless you're using an umbrella) or hats (period). When I wear a fedora, I use very little gel. As you can guess, I don't wear hats as often as I should. :rolleyes:

FredDairy

Familiar Face
Enough hairspray on top of the gel should make it so it doesn't move in any weather conditions. But I guess a complete down fall of rain would mess it up. Bring a hat if it loosk like rain.;)

I wonder what Jack Lord used. His hair never moved in Hawaii 5-0.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
FredDairy said:
Enough hairspray on top of the gel should make it so it doesn't move in any weather conditions. But I guess a complete down fall of rain would mess it up. Bring a hat if it loosk like rain.;)

This might work too:

clearshowercap.jpg

FredDairy said:
I wonder what Jack Lord used. His hair never moved in Hawaii 5-0.

A hair and make-up department.

Water-based products will always have the disadvantage of being affected by rain snow fog and perspiration (that's what we call SWEAT up here in the genteel North). I have never found a gel that doesn't crumble into little dandruff-like flakes if you comb touch or otherwise gnetly molest your coiffure - never has been the look I was going for.

Hair falls out for very few reasons. There are stress, alpacia, radiation, infected folicles... but the main reason, the only real long term reason hair falls out and never comes back is simple genetics. Look at the men on your mom's side of the family. Are they bald? Then buy hats. Are they old but still furry? Then buy hair product.

Finally, Murray's is not greasy because it is not grease, it is wax, which is why you have to add something for sheen, like pigeon toe's beau's RC, and why it is hard to wash out with shampoo.

FredDairy

Familiar Face
jake_fink said:
This might work too:

clearshowercap.jpg

A hair and make-up department.

Water-based products will always have the disadvantage of being affected by rain snow fog and perspiration (that's what we call SWEAT up here in the genteel North). I have never found a gel that doesn't crumble into little dandruff-like flakes if you comb touch or otherwise gnetly molest your coiffure - never has been the look I was going for.

Hair falls out for very few reasons. There are stress, alpacia, radiation, infected folicles... but the main reason, the only real long term reason hair falls out and never comes back is simple genetics. Look at the men on your mom's side of the family. Are they bald? Then buy hats. Are they old but still furry? Then buy hair product.

Finally, Murray's is not greasy because it is not grease, it is wax, which is why you have to add something for sheen, like pigeon toe's beau's RC, and why it is hard to wash out with shampoo.

There's actually a lot more to it than just your mom's side of the family. Atleast from the research I've done because my mother's father is bald, so I've really looked into this. But I do agree with you that using Murray's won't cause you to go bald. But it's really rough putting in your hair and for some of us it pulls the hair out when combing. I think there's a reason it's stocked under the black hair care products at Walgreens.

Also, everyone who thinks Murray's is not a "grease" is mistaken. It says on the side of the can petrolatum and mineral oil

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
FredDairy said:
There's actually a lot more to it than just your mom's side of the family. Atleast from the research I've done because my mother's father is bald, so I've really looked into this. But I do agree with you that using Murray's won't cause you to go bald. But it's really rough putting in your hair and for some of us it pulls the hair out when combing. I think there's a reason it's stocked under the black hair care products at Walgreens.

Also, everyone who thinks Murray's is not a "grease" is mistaken. It says on the side of the can petrolatum and mineral oil

Ahha, the side of my can says nothing - well there's a bunch of jive about bobbed hair and such but no listing of what's in it - I was working with information from the lady who sold it to me. That lying so and so. :rage:

Anyway, heat willl soften it up so that you can apply it without pain or pull, you can even liquify it by heating it with the dryer. Put the amount you want to use on the lid of the tin then blow dry it until it's as soft as you need.

Grease or not grease and genetics or not, Murray's is still my favourite product.

PS My mom's side of the family is all bald but I am not, so please do excuse my hyperbole. It was late and I was thoughtfully sipping Liar's Whiskey. ;)

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
6StringShooter said:
Don't mean to go :eek:fftopic: but what is "bobbed hair"? Nothing on Google seems very conclusive...

A short hairstyle women adopted in the 20s - when Murray's was first introduced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana