Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pomade

Marq

Familiar Face
Always always use 'Sweet Georgia brown @in the red tin and top it off with a little Blue magic for shine.I have done for nigh on 27 years now.........Paul

ConcettaCellars

New in Town
Murrays all the way.

I have a pretty thick and high pomp that this stuff is perfect for. I pull a bit out and put it in the palm of my hand and then rub my hands together like I'm starting a fire. It heats it up enough to work in out of the shower. A trick I found to get it out is to use some shave cream first, work it in, rinse and then wash normally. Squeaky clean.

FredDairy

Familiar Face
scotrace said:
We;come to The Fedora Lounge, ConcettaCellars.

Yesterday was my fist try with Murrays, and it all washed out easily this morning. :)

When my hair was short I could was all the pomade out too. How much did you put in??

6StringShooter

One of the Regulars
jake_fink said:
How'd you get so curious? ;)

Edited to add: By the way, it was because the haircut required the use of bobby pins.

lol thank you! I got so curious because I saw it on here and I had just never heard of it :)

scotrace said:
Where can a guy find Royal Crown?

Walgreens or Publix (not sure if they have that where you live)

FredDairy

Familiar Face
In Chicago the only place to get Royal Crown Hairdressing is Jewel-Osco. Walgreens doesn't carry it here. I've never seen Royal Crown Pomade in Illinois.

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Royal Crown

I have seen Royal Crown available at Target as well. Tried Murrays for the first time for my 1940's wedding last weekend. Great results, but it took awhile for it too all wash out. Glad I found out about the hair dryer hint on here to help with the application. Thanks to all of the discussion lately I have begun experimenting with new products (had solely been using American Crew Pomade). Tried Wild Root yesterday, smelled lightly of baby oil, not much hold (sort of like brylcream), maybe I didn't use enough. Today I tried Groom and Clean. Pretty happy with the results so far (early in the morning). A little more hold and less flop then brylcream, very pleasent smell, but I have a feeling I am going to have to tweak it with something for more hold. Fun trying to come up with a new hair product combination...lol.

---Scott

pipvh

Practically Family
I've been sporting a quiff off and on for the last 25 or so years and recently found the best stuff ever for keeping one's do aloft: Phyto Pro Cire Ultra Gloss. It's some sort of wax gel, is hideously expensive but works like a charm. I started off with Black & White and Murray's back in the old Family Funktion/Demob days in London (I think there was even a style called 'quiffabilly?') and have tried virtually everything since from styling mousse to olive oil, and this stuff is the most architecturally stable I've found. Admittedly I've got thick, curly hair and a quiff is not what it wants to do, so there's always been a fair amount of bullying involved, but I don't get the feeling that this Phyto Pro is pulling my barnet out at the roots when I apply it (like Murrays), nor does it start dripping down my face after a couple of hours in the sun like B & W always did.

Although having said all of the above, not having the funds to replace my expensive French product right away I chanced upon a tube of Groom & Clean and despite being very sceptical it's actually doing a nice job on the old pomadour.

Salv

One Too Many
pipvh said:
...Demob days in London...

O/T, and apologies to everyone, but blimey, that's not a name you see much these days (at least not in this context), and it brought a big smile to my face.

I suppose I'd better explain that cryptic remark - Demob was a clothes shop in Soho, in central London, that was open for a couple of years in the early 1980s. They sold their own designs, but also clothes by up-and-coming young British designers, most of which were vintage- or military-inspired. It was the coolest clothes shop in town, with the most stylish staff who knew where all the best parties were. I spent far too many Saturdays in there, and far too much money too...

Nice to see someone else who was around then - welcome to the Lounge pipvh.

Oh, and just to get us back on topic, I used Black & White for many years - mostly because it was fairly easy to buy in the UK - but recently switched to Sweet Georgia Brown in the blue tin, which comes somewhere between B&W and Murray's in stiffness, and smells better than either.

pipvh

Practically Family
Cheers, Salv!

Clothes from Demob, hair done at Cutts, nights down the Mudd Club or the Wag... . I actually still have a Demob shirt, just about wearable. Wish I'd kept hold of my baggy black 40s style jeans, though... I remember wandering around Fulham in 1983, trying to look like a 1944 garage mechanic in Arkansas - and why not? Btw, does anyone remember a vintage clothes shop just off Southampton Row at that time? It was the best I've ever been to. Anyway, it's fun to keep the old London style going, even if no-one around here has a clue what I'm on about!

pipvh

Practically Family
Oh, and apologies for going o/t. But thinking this hard about hair grease got me reminiscing about a time when the choice between Dax and Murrays was almost a matter of (social) life and death. So where does one find Sweet Georgia Brown in the US?

Salv

One Too Many
pipvh said:
Cheers, Salv!

Clothes from Demob, hair done at Cutts, nights down the Mudd Club or the Wag... .
(Even more O/T)

...and the Dirtbox, and the Beat Route, live gigs by the Chevalier Brothers, buying The Face and ID religiously every month, hanging around Kensington Market ... happy times.

pipvh said:
I actually still have a Demob shirt, just about wearable. Wish I'd kept hold of my baggy black 40s style jeans, though... I remember wandering around Fulham in 1983, trying to look like a 1944 garage mechanic in Arkansas - and why not?

The only thing that I've got left from Demob is one of those Willie Brown hooded anoraks with the chess-board band around the waist. I saw one of those on ebay not long ago with a ridiculously high starting price. It didn't get any bids.

pipvh said:
Btw, does anyone remember a vintage clothes shop just off Southampton Row at that time? It was the best I've ever been to. Anyway, it's fun to keep the old London style going, even if no-one around here has a clue what I'm on about!

That shop was called Blax - my wife's favourite shop, and I managed to get some nice English ties and tank tops, and a very good 50s navy blue double breasted suit in there.

pipvh said:
So where does one find Sweet Georgia Brown in the US?
It went out of production a couple of years ago, but the brand has been revived, apparently by Murray's. You can order it online from the SGB site for $7.00 a tin + postage - http://www.sweetgbrownpomade.com/index.html

The blue isn't very glossy, so once I've got the shape right with the blue I smooth a small amount of the red SGB over my hair to get some shine.

pipvh

Practically Family
Willie Brown! I'd totally forgotten about him. I loved his stuff! I had a brown jacket - I think it was an anorak, in fact - with the check trim. Wonder what happened to that. Also any number of his shirts, which weren't cheap. Went the way of all my Johnson's shoes, no doubt.

Blax! Of course. What a brilliant shop. There was also one called Cuba(?) I think, on New Oxford Street. Yeah, reading the Face in Valerie's or the Bar Italia, buying pegged trousers from that place upstairs at Kenny Market. Chevalier Bros! Nice one. Seriously off-thread now: we should start another one, for London nostalgics only!

Salv

One Too Many
pipvh said:
...Seriously off-thread now: we should start another one, for London nostalgics only!

Good idea, as I want to pick up on a couple of points in your last post. I'll start one now in The Observation Bar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24