Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pomade

Schofields

Familiar Face
DerMann said:
Quick question. I shall be having a haircut on Saturday, and I should definitely try and get the pomade out of my hair beforehand, right?

this is why i get bald fades. the product/etc. is just on the top :D

DerMann

Practically Family
Murrays is great stuff.

A bit daunting at first, but goes in fairly easily.

My hair's just a bit too long for it to work best, but it's definitely is a step up from Brylcreem.

Bert

New in Town
DerMann said:
Murrays is great stuff.

A bit daunting at first, but goes in fairly easily.

My hair's just a bit too long for it to work best, but it's definitely is a step up from Brylcreem.

Bonjour

Yes, Murray's is quite good. The good trick to use it is to put the can in hot water (in your sink i.e.) for few minutes before to use it. It will make it a lot softer. Or, after rubbing it in your hair, put on hot towel around your hair for 5 minutes. Yes, you'll look ridiculous, but, well...nevermind.

Amicalement, Bertrand, Bordeaux, France.

cmjordan77

One of the Regulars
Pomade,

I am a DAPPER DAN MAN Darn it! I Dont want FOP! - O Brother Where Art Thou

Actually, I found PENAUD Hair Gel. It comes in a LARGE jar and cost me $3. It smells great, but can give you some Crunch if you use it on wet hair.
My hair is soooo think. I actually use CREW Pomade with some water. I like it. But it can be expensive.

Side note:
I am trying to find some hair oil that I can slick my hair back with. The stuff I have tried usually will dry and doesnt keep my hair back.
Can someone tell me what hair oil or what to use to keep my hair slicked back? And the wet look?

Thank you!

volatile

A-List Customer
cmjordan77 said:

Actually, I found PENAUD Hair Gel. It comes in a LARGE jar and cost me $3. It smells great, but can give you some Crunch if you use it on wet hair.
My hair is soooo think. I actually use CREW Pomade with some water. I like it. But it can be expensive.

Side note:
I am trying to find some hair oil that I can slick my hair back with. The stuff I have tried usually will dry and doesnt keep my hair back.
Can someone tell me what hair oil or what to use to keep my hair slicked back? And the wet look?

Thank you!

Slicked back as in actually slicked back, rather than pomped? Royal Crown Pomade might be the way to go.

DerMann

Practically Family
cmjordan77 said:

Side note:

Thank you!

Try Dax. Along with Murray's, I got some Dax, and it doesn't have as much hold, but has a bit more shine to it.

I think Dax on top and Murray's on the sides works pretty great.

Both smell great and seem have similar consistencies.

I usually just grab some with my finger, get as much of it on my palm as I can, rub my palms together, and style.

If I've the time, I'll run a game on my laptop and place the can next to the exhaust vent. Wait 20 minutes and it'll be so pliable. Do the same with moustache wax :D

JasonCT

New in Town
I have to say that I am a big fan of Royal Crown.
A lot of those other products have all kinda of things in them, I like that RC is just Petroleum, Olive Oil, and fragrance.

Bert

New in Town
JasonCT said:
I have to say that I am a big fan of Royal Crown.
A lot of those other products have all kinda of things in them, I like that RC is just Petroleum, Olive Oil, and fragrance.

Bonjour à tous

Here's a question for you Royal Crown lovers. I use daily Royal Crown Hair Dressing, the one in the 8oz cardboard can. But what's the difference between the RC "hair dressing" and the RC "pomade", like we can see on your avatar ?

tylerevansokay

One of the Regulars
Bert said:
Bonjour à tous

Here's a question for you Royal Crown lovers. I use daily Royal Crown Hair Dressing, the one in the 8oz cardboard can. But what's the difference between the RC "hair dressing" and the RC "pomade", like we can see on your avatar ?

The pomade is thicker and has more sustainability for holding power, while the hair dressing is more of just a hair slick with minimal holding power.
If you've tried Black & White, that's the closest product similar to Royal Crown pomade. The Royal Crown pomade smells WAY better than the hair dressing as well...

Irish4

Familiar Face
Does anyone have advice for someone who has natural oily hair and many out of control cowlicks?I like to comb my hair straight back if I can.I have used royal crown.My hair is very fine.I am a truck driver so as you know it is not possible to shower every day ,so when i get up in the mornings my hair wont do anything.How do you guys get your hair to comb straight back everyday?please help..........

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Vitalis?

Irish4,

Lately I have been using Tres Flores or Murray's Super Lite one day (after washing hair). The next day skip washing my hair (but usually rinse it when I am in the shower) and the apply Vitalis hair tonic. I have to admit that I don't know exactly how the Vitalis works, but it makes my hair manageable again, yet doesn't make too greasy . But, everyone's hair is different.

Good Luck!

Scott

Bert

New in Town
Irish4 said:
Does anyone have advice for someone who has natural oily hair and many out of control cowlicks?I like to comb my hair straight back if I can.I have used royal crown.My hair is very fine.I am a truck driver so as you know it is not possible to shower every day ,so when i get up in the mornings my hair wont do anything.How do you guys get your hair to comb straight back everyday?please help..........

Bonjour Irish4

Well, that's quite complicated. I means, greased hair, slicked back, pomped or parted, tends to be quite messy if you're into hard work, physical activities or something. It's hard to allways have a perfect result.
If you can't shower everyday, I would go for something strong, like Murrays superior or dax red to shape your hair and something lighter to give a fresh look in the morning (Royal crown, murray's lite).
Like it, you can dress your hair with the strong stuff and the light stuff on day 1. In the morning of day 2, if you can't shower, no problem, the strong shaping stuff will be still here and just add a little bit of light and glossy Royal C or Murray's lite and it will look fresh and nice again. And so on...

I hope it helped.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
I'm a Dapper Dan man.:)
dapper_dan.jpg

Picture5397.jpg

Actually, I'm an American Greaser Supply man, all 3 weights....;)
Rob

Luke 42

One of the Regulars
Ghostsoldier said:
I'm a Dapper Dan man.:)
dapper_dan.jpg

Picture5397.jpg

Actually, I'm an American Greaser Supply man, all 3 weights....;)
Rob

Holy Smoke, where did you get this:eek: ? As I understand it, the brand was invented for the movie, so this must be some special merchandise?
I'd love to have one of those.. How's the pomade actually?

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Bert said:
Bonjour à tous

The pomade is definitely thicker and has a MUCH better smell and will give your hair some hold. The dressing has more shine for slicking, but the pomade does a respectible job of giving shine as well. To me the pomade has a light musk type smell. When you look at the ingredients on the can they are the same, but there is defintely a difference in texture, hold, and smell and shine to some extent.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Luke 42 said:
Holy Smoke, where did you get this:eek: ? As I understand it, the brand was invented for the movie, so this must be some special merchandise?
I'd love to have one of those.. How's the pomade actually?
Luke,
You are correct about it being a fictional brand. They were selling repos on eBay (the top pic is from there - the bottom is a screen cap from the movie), but I wanted to save money, so I bought empty 3" diameter tins online (for about 40 cents USD each), painted them red, made my own self-adhesive, glossy labels from some Dapper Dan graphics I have (on my home printer), filled the tins with Royal Crown, and presto!, instant Dapper Dan pomade! :D Easy as pie to make, and only cost about 3 to 4 USD each (including the RC...I have a few that are empty that I use just for storage)....;)
Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats