Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Porkpies - or, the time and place for hats

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Keep in mind that it's a preshaped Akubra, not a soft open crown hat like the Squatter. It may be harder to modify than you'd expect. (For example, snapping the front down and back up for a classic porkpie look.)

Herzen

One of the Regulars
I only wear pork pies.. either round or diamond. I wear them with suits, jeans and shorts. Like many have said, it depends on the hat. I have some better quality ones that I wear with shirt and tie/suits - while others are for every day. Right now, I am sporting a very casual Kangol Mowbray pork pie which is made out of some sort of knitted summer mesh. It's not fancy, but in the summer heat, it's amazingly cool!

May I ask who made the porkpie in your profile pic? It looks great!

I wear porkpies quite often, but I need a wider brim. Mr. Fawcett made me a fantastic porkpie with a 2 3/4 brim that is my go-to hat in the cooloer months, and my everyday summer hat is a straw porkpie with a 2 1/2 brim.

As far as I'm concerned, they go with pretty much anything.

chgolion

New in Town
My bailey Porkpie is wool
I take that back, My bailey Porkpie is a Dynafelt( FUR ) Made for Hats Plus of Chicago, the crown is diffrent than the normal hats bailey produces. when I get time I will post a pic of the crown and 2 inch brim.

Bingles

A-List Customer
May I ask who made the porkpie in your profile pic? It looks great!

I wear porkpies quite often, but I need a wider brim. Mr. Fawcett made me a fantastic porkpie with a 2 3/4 brim that is my go-to hat in the cooloer months, and my everyday summer hat is a straw porkpie with a 2 1/2 brim.

As far as I'm concerned, they go with pretty much anything.

Thanks very much, Herzen! It was made by Gary White, The Custom Hatter here in Buffalo. I have three pork pies from him.

T Rick

Practically Family
Where are the pics guys? In a thread entitled "show your pork pies", I'd thing there'd be some pics? ;)

Okay, that said, these may not even be pork pies. Still not entirely certain of the definition, whether a telescope crown is required. But these two flat topped lower crowned hats scream pork to me, so I figure I'll show them. First was an incredible deal on eBay, bought and shipped for about $20. It's from Roger Brent. Though it doesn't say, I'm 99% certain it is fur felt and not wool. Seems to be a really nice hat, and came in near new condition. I like the larger brim snapped down.

orig.jpg

Next is this rather furry Champ, I really like this one. "Feel the felt". Love the ribbon.

standard.jpg

ETA: Okay, maybe I got the thread name wrong? Or perhaps it was merged as I was posting> Confused, but still in the right place I think. Let's see some pie, guys!

Last edited:

GratefulDawg

New in Town
Here's one I just got today. Made by Barbara Feinman in the East Village in New York. Inspired by a hat I saw Marcelo Mastroianni wear in a film with Sophia Loren.

IMG_1113cropped-1.jpg

IMG_1110cropped-1.jpg

GratefulDawg

New in Town
Man the taper on that hat is crazy.How does it fit? It looks as if it is too small on the side shot. What kind of bow treatment does the hat have?

Here's a photo of the bow treatment:

IMG_1117small.jpg

This will be the last photo I post in this thread, since these should have been placed elsewhere (thanks, Neophyte). Yes, it is a touch snug, but I need a haircut. Big crowns and brims do not work for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails