Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

post-break up interests changing

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Thank you all for the great advice!!! There's no way I'll be throwing away my vintage, so don't even worry about that! It's just a strange feeling to not be nearly as interested in these things anymore. Maybe that will change, we'll see.

I did my hair today though and it was nice to put in the extra effort again. It made me feel nice and pretty, so not all is lost!

And don't worry, there will be no 'Juicy' on butt, never ever!!!

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I think that wearing vintage all the time can be limiting. It's fun, but then it's boring. It's unique, but sometimes you feel like an idiot for wearing this old stuff. For me anyway, it's a natural cycle. If you're not into it now, don't force it! The skirts and dresses will be there. In the mean time, use the apathy to clean your closet out of things that you kept but never wore or liked!!

Agreed. It's all about evolving and growing.... Plus sometimes things that remind you of your ex just leave a bad taste in your mouth... BEEN THERE!

Anachronism
...associating dressing vintage with (them), and if those are negative feelings, you would naturally steer away from dressing vintage.

VintageRed
And if vintage, in any way, reminds you of that person or is tied to them, you may feel the need to cut off from that for a while until you can see vintage as a completely separate desire from your ex. Sometimes, in the interest of self-preservation, we have to give up the things we enjoy until we can see them in a light that's exclusive of the relationship...

katiemakeup
Plus sometimes things that remind you of your ex just leave a bad taste in your mouth.

pigeon toe
...I got into vintage. Since the break up I have had almost no interest...
but if any of you have any thoughts or experiences with this, I'd love to hear them.

PT, thanks for this thread, and to those quoted for your replies. Yes, this has been my experience too. No more or very little desire for vintage events, music, etc. and the nasty clique involved. Almost quit the FL too - she lurks the Lounge, but never posting. Goodbye in advance to the few nice people met here if I do. Don't know what the future holds for the past. Cancel my rhumba lessons.

pinkylee

New in Town
pigeon toe, I went through something similiar when I moved to a very...I mean very small town. I felt really weird when I went out...like people thought I might be dressed up for Halloween. All of my vintage hung, just hung in the closet. I stopped during my hair etc. I guess I got over that a little in time ... you are who you are.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
pigeon toe said:
I did my hair today though and it was nice to put in the extra effort again. It made me feel nice and pretty, so not all is lost!

And don't worry, there will be no 'Juicy' on butt, never ever!!!

You can dress up and take care of yourself without having to dress vintage. I frequently go through phases when I don't want to dress vintage. I just get tired of the stares or questions. On those days, I have nice, modern dresses and cute, modern shoes. There's no need to ever have Juicy on one's butt.

Inky

One Too Many
HadleyH said:
Sorry for me asking.... but what is juicy on butt? :p

Juicy is a brand name that markets these sweat pants:

3263051-m.jpg

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
HadleyH said:
ohhhhhhhh .... i see, thank you Inky. :)

Hey, I wear those to bed....:p

I think everyone goes through phases, I used to be into vintage everyday, the whole thing from vintage shoes to vintage dresses, gloves and hats, but then when I moved to So cal, I got much more casual, I began to dress very modern, skinny jeans, leggings, juicy (haha), but I still love to dress up every week for the Cicada club, and other events, I just think that modern clothing is practical for everyday, running errands, going to work etc. When I wear for "everyday" clothing, it tends to be something from the 1960's, my stuff from the 1940's and earlier now gets pulled out for events and evening.

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
MattJH said:
I know so many people who would benefit from reading that. Very well said.

PT - Its funny. With each man, whether it be a man or a crush comes a different me. A different way to style my hair, a different make up look.

However, these are short lived and I eventually go back to pin curling and my vintage - ish make up - because its who I am. And generally when I do, thats when I also start feeling better within myself. You will get your groove back, it will just take time!

vampygirl13

One of the Regulars
Hi there-

I think you have to go with your feelings. Maybe put away your vintage for a while to see how you feel. Chances are, once he's out of your mind, you'll enjoy wearing those things again.

I'm all over the place stylewise and enjoy everything from 1940's lady to modern looks and in between. Don't feel the need to limit yourself, just enjoy your style as it changes!

That's the fun part about clothing----you can wear whatever YOU want!

BombshellBella

Familiar Face
You have gotten some great advice already, but I got put my two cents in, I always have to, lol...

Break ups are always the beginning of something new, so clean up your closet, if you have been eyeing a new hairstyle or color go for it, but dont do something so crazy that you will regret (been there done that)...

Then start playing dress up... its ok to experiment with different looks up until your 30 or sooo.. then you look kinda kooky and "trying to look young" in my opinion. So do it now...

I am 31 now, and have JUST realized that I like the classic, slightly vintage look of my clothes... It was always there but now I really know and now I feel like doing vintage hair and make-up with all my outfits....

SO EXPERIMENT WITH FASHION and HAVE FUN!

Lorena B

Practically Family
I have been in this position before and laid off whatever was reminding me of him, either clothes or going to places, listening to certain songs... I couldnt go to Brighton for a while as this place would remind me great times i spent there with him but I took a new tactic, so with my actual boyfriend i decided to go there so the new happy times would erase the old ones and it does work!!.
If vintage, rockabilly...etc is not attracting you that much right now, give it time, and when you feel like getting on with it again, enjoy it and let new occasions leave the old ones behind ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy