Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre 1940s dress hats

In the bleachers at the Polo Grounds, 1921.

1921WSYoungsHatsPolo.jpg

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

The information just keeps getting better and better! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

If Lewis Young started in the hat business around 1860 or so, somewhere between 1860 and 1885 Young Bros was founded. I wonder if he started in the hat business as "Lewis Young the Hatter," or actually stated "Young Bros" around 1860.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

In the bleachers at the Polo Grounds.

1921WSYoungsHatsPolo.jpg

Vintage baseball pictures have always been a love of mine since I was a child. That's probably where my hat obsession started, looking through hundreds or maybe even thousands of early baseball pictures. Pre-WW2 baseball always fascinated me.

Youngs must have been a huge retailer in New York at one time. Even the 1940's Youngs hats that I've seen are always different from regular Stetsons. They have certain attributes that the retailer must have had Stetson custom make for their stores.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
The information just keeps getting better and better! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

If Lewis Young started in the hat business around 1860 or so, somewhere between 1860 and 1885 Young Bros was founded. I wonder if he started in the hat business as "Lewis Young the Hatter," or actually stated "Young Bros" around 1860.

Seems likely that when he retired in 1884 and the 4 sons took over they became Young Brothers.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Vintage baseball pictures have always been a love of mine since I was a child. That's probably where my hat obsession started, looking through hundreds or maybe even thousands of early baseball pictures. Pre-WW2 baseball always fascinated me.

Youngs must have been a huge retailer in New York at one time. Even the 1940's Youngs hats that I've seen are always different from regular Stetsons. They have certain attributes that the retailer must have had Stetson custom make for their stores.[/QUOTE

According to Snyder's book, Young's Merchandising Corp. of New York City, whos business was retail Men's Hat Stores was acquired by Stetson in 1955. Somewhere I have read the number of stores, somewhere in the teeens.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Seems likely that when he retired in 1884 and the 4 sons took over they became Young Brothers.

Reading that article, that didn't even dawn on me. :eusa_doh:

It makes perfect sense that when the children, who were "brothers," took over the business from their father, that it would have become "Young Brothers"

If he retired in 1884 and the Trademark was put into effect at the end of 1885, then Young Brothers was started sometime between 1884 and 1885.

This is why I love the Lounge! So much wonderful information and great detective work!

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
HAT LIFE WESTERN ISSUE March 1956

Youngs must have been a huge retailer in New York at one time. Even the 1940's Youngs hats that I've seen are always different from regular Stetsons. They have certain attributes that the retailer must have had Stetson custom make for their stores.[/QUOTE

According to Snyder's book, Young's Merchandising Corp. of New York City, whos business was retail Men's Hat Stores was acquired by Stetson in 1955. Somewhere I have read the number of stores, somewhere in the teeens.

014zg.jpg

By carouselvic at 2012-02-20

buler

I'll Lock Up
The Herald Hat

Picked this up a while ago and forgot to post pics. Its the Herald Hat from SSW Co. I haven't found any references for this in the American Hatters. Really nice scratch finish. Pictures in bad lighting and with flash don't help the felt look its best. Taped rear seam and cloth reed cord seen poking up from behind the leather sweat. Has one of the large size United Hatters of North America union sticker.

B

herald_6.jpg

herald_2.jpg

herald_3.jpg

herald_4.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
solved:

Slater-Sielken-White Co. 22-24 W. Third N.Y,N.Y.(1920)
Screen%2520shot%25202012-04-08%2520at%25207.46.22%2520PM.png

A hat wholesaler that paid taxes in New Jersey manufacturer first registered location Paterson in 1867.

1921 reference(latest I found so far):
Screen%2520shot%25202012-04-08%2520at%25207.24.15%2520PM.png

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Picked this up a while ago and forgot to post pics. Its the Herald Hat from SSW Co. I haven't found any references for this in the American Hatters. Really nice scratch finish. Pictures in bad lighting and with flash don't help the felt look its best. Taped rear seam and cloth reed cord seen poking up from behind the leather sweat. Has one of the large size United Hatters of North America union sticker.

B

herald_2.jpg

Absolutely Gorgeous, Bill!! Reminds me a lot of my American Hat Co. I really love the brown felt against the light purple ribbon. It seemed to be a well liked combo in the 20's/early 30's

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
EARLY 1900s (Possibly even LATE 1800's) Panama Straw Flat Crown

I received this a couple months ago, but for some reason forgot to post it. I knew it wasn't in the best shape, but I just thought it was SO cool. The crown and flange make me think it could be late 1890's, or very early 1900's. The hat also uses an exposed reed on the front to hold the front of the sweatband slightly off the straw. It looks like another way that hatters tried to solve the sweatband "sweat-through" problem.

DSC07345.jpg

DSC07346.jpg

DSC07347.jpg

DSC07348.jpg

DSC07349.jpg

DSC07350.jpg

DSC07351.jpg

DSC07352.jpg

DSC07355.jpg

DSC07353.jpg

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Josh, that had is absolutely incredible - better yet it looks bloody great on you!

Do you normally wear it, or is it too frail to risk?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred