Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre 1940s dress hats

randooch

I'll Lock Up
The un-reeded sweat, sweatband style, and stampings make me think early-mid 30's.
Thanks, Josh. That's my guess, too, so I must be learning a bit. I tried searching FL for references to Bates, and came up with several threads about the British company, but no pictures of a liner and sweat like this.

Steve, that's a sweet Echter!

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Here is my new Miller Hats fedora right out of the mail package.
975a505d.jpg

I love unreeded sweatbands
9343ed86.jpg

562cc7f3.jpg

I found this inside the sweatband
4610783a.jpg

This is a dark green with almost white or gray fibers showing also
0c6f7adb.jpg

5a982c46.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Late 1870's/Early 1880's Young Bros Grey Top Hat

This hat is VERY pre-1940's. Its the oldest hat that I own and in my opinion one of the coolest. I just recently got this from Buler. Thanks, Bill!

This topper is from a time in the late 1870's-early 1880's where a VERY stingy brim combined with a tall (6.5 inches tall) slight bell crown was in style. It reminds me quite a bit of the toppers used in the movie, "Gangs of New York." It was originally sold at Young Bros so it was originally from New York.

DSC06966.jpg

DSC06967.jpg

DSC06987.jpg

DSC06991.jpg

DSC06970.jpg

DSC06973.jpg

DSC06978.jpg

DSC06977.jpg

DSC06983.jpg

DSC06986.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Great find and the oldest I've seen with the corrugated sweat venting on the front.

The space(location-next building on site) is available: http://www.1359broadway.com/leasing_retail.phtml

An exceptional lid, Josh. Congratulations!

Wonderful... the typography on the sweat is especially great. You might need to add this to go with.

Thank you very much, Robert, Al, and Alan!

I think it would be awesome to lease the 1359 building space and set up a hat shop. It would only be fitting to do so. :)

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Young's Hats trademark registration showing first use in 1885. Perhaps the use of Young Bros. predates that?

Later variation:

playboy6.jpg

Thanks for posting this, Alan! If the "Youngs Hats" trademark was first registered in 1885, I might be correct with the dating of my hat. I have never seen an advertisement or trademark registration date for "Young Bros." Stylistically, it would seem that the topper is from the late 1870's/Early 1880's, but just like any other hat dating technique, I could be totally off. I would assume that the"Young Bros" trademark came before the "Youngs Hats" trademark?

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Excellent, Robert! Thanks. It seems that the trademark had been used since Dec, 11 1885. I guess we can infer that was when Young Bros started their business.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner