Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre 1940s dress hats

This German Velour is 6 inches open (shown with deep center crease). It could be pre WWI.

6193583828_8290f87081_b.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
So what's the highest crown you guys have found on your pre war dress hats?

The tallest crown that I have found on a pre-war hat in my possession is 6 inches tall. I have seen advertisements for 6 1/4 inch crowns on prewar hats as well.

My Stetson Pacemaker (Circa 1916) has a 6 inch crown:

DSC05084.jpg

DSC05086.jpg

DSC05098.jpg

The Modern day (1970's) Resistol Stagecoach Cowboy hat that I turned into a 1930's style hat has a 6 1/4 open crown.

Uncreased1.jpg

Uncreased4.jpg

Complete2.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
As far as I can tell, this company went out sometime around WWI.
Listed at that address in the NY Merchants Assoc. 1921. Seems to have formed from Bonar in 1904. I wonder if Frank Allaire Co.(Manufacturer's Rep Co for some European Hatters in the 30's at least) had any connection.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Josh, that Pacemaker is a real heart-stopper. (so bad, I know.)

D-Man, I'm going to call the ribbon treatment on that one the "Belly Bow."

This Stetson Aristocrat arrived today. As I expected, it has some minor issues, but I'm still thrilled. The trolley button is missing, so I snipped (& saved) the string. The hat also has some very slight mothing in a few spots, only visible with intense light at an angle. And, as I already knew from auction pics, a removed sticker took a bit of finish off the sweat:
1724ef3c2b4769a41324597940.jpeg

Other than that, she's a beaut! Great box with pleasant sloganeering:
1864ef3c3a3b59641324598179.jpeg

Flash shot:
1884ef3c4470ab4c1324598343.jpeg

Pardon the hasty, wacky ensemble for the mugshot. If I keep my rudimentary martial arts skills up to snuff, I'll exude enough confidence to wear it after dark.
5264ef3c4d575d181324598485.jpeg

This one might be offered up to one of you more aristocratic members soon, but I need to test the waters with it first.

Listed at that address in the NY Merchants Assoc. 1921. Seems to have formed from Bonar in 1904. I wonder if Frank Allaire Co.(Manufacturer's Rep Co for some European Hatters in the 30's at least) had any connection.

Highly possible. Allaire eventually lost control of his own company and his association with Brüder Böhm.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Thank you, Al. It still wears me, I'm afraid, but not for long. Oddly, I like the hat from the side best. It has an unusual arc to it that i find attractive.

The box it came in is (obviously) not original, so if anyone needs one like it to complete an era-correct pair, please PM me. I'll part with it for next to nothing.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I think it's great, Randall!!! Totally changes your visual persona from what we're used to, but (and I know it's a big surprise coming from me) it's nice to have a diverse palette of styles from which to choose.

Keep it around, especially for those Copperhead Snake pattern tie events! ;)

Seriously, you really wear it well.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I love the liner in the Panama, Marc.
Never seen one like it, are there any others posted on the Lounge?

Thanks! The liner's Stetson logo is embroidered in colored silk thread, while the liner itself is made of silk satin. As far as I can tell, the only other identical liner logo that's been posted is from a vintage hat owned by Dinerman. He and I recently spoke about it: Dinerman believes that it is not original to his own hat, but was inserted in it as a replacement liner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy