Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre 1940s dress hats

Breiter Munich Velour

Breiter Munich Velour, 1930s maybe older.

5895594598_33273280fc_b.jpg

5895031121_d5bfcdef67_b.jpg

5895614096_36eee19acc_b.jpg

5895049707_6b415a5dbf_b.jpg

5895081727_01fa3a9bdd_b.jpg

5895588452_2f9e0a0f27_b.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
That is awesome, Josh. Now ya gotta find out who "John" Cosetti was!

Thanks, bowlerman! I tried doing a little research and found that name came up in California on obituaries and death certificate information. California is where the seller who sold me the hat on ebay lives. I have to do a little more research. The original owner was pretty young when he died.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Breiter Munich Velour, 1930s maybe older.
5895594598_33273280fc_b.jpg
Erko-Velour, 1930s maybe older.
5891739605_bcd67971fa_b.jpg

WOW!! Those hats are absolutely gorgeous!!!! They are right up my alley. I don't own any velours and I certainty don't own any velours of that quality and age. You have some amazingly beautiful velours from the 20's and 30's, Steve! This is the kind of stuff that modern hat makers only dream of being able to produce. If you ever want to thin the herd a little, I'm a size 7 US and 6 7/8 UK. (wink, wink) ;)

I know that there are so many people on this forum that are so concerned about getting a Whippet, that stuff like this just blows right past them. I wish people will come to their senses and realize that a whippet was a low end hat. Velours like this are not always easy to wear, but the quality and craftsmanship of these hats and so many of the hats that you have posted, have quality that are second to none.
Just awesome lids!!!!!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Hückel Foulard probably late 30s.

3883706693_903fb7abfd_b.jpg

3884498224_f0872e35fd_b.jpg

This hat was posted on 01-14-2010, but I just had to bring it back up again. I have been looking through the pre-1940's threads to pick out styling cues for my custom hat. I just have to say Steve, this hat by far has the most perfect flange I have ever seen. It has that higher "bowl" back flange and the very flat and straight ironed front brim. Its the quintessential early-mid 30's flange and its fantastic! Just had to comment on this beauty again.

Josh, Thanks! I think the Erko-Velour is really special. The original photos of it were poor but I had a good feeling about it. :)

I am focused on finding pre 40s Austrian Velours (especially JHS, Peschel, BB, ect) but they are rare in any size. I only have a few in my size and only one of them is in complete original condition. The feel and look of a top quality pre 40s Austrian Velour is hard to match but that is just my opinion.

The green heather JHS Foulard does have a great flange along with the felt + overall look. I think this pre 40s Echter Borsalino (talk about rare) also has a great flange and similar look. It's also one of my favorite hats to wear. I prefer the Euro stylings (made for the Euro market) of this time period but they are truely rare finds.

4575403627_074820c7f5_b.jpg

4575402063_54d4998386_b.jpg

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Josh, Thanks! I think the Erko-Velour is really special. The original photos of it were poor but I had a good feeling about it. :)

I am focused on finding pre 40s Austrian Velours (especially JHS, Peschel, BB, ect) but they are rare in any size. I only have a few in my size and only one of them is in complete original condition. The feel and look of a top quality pre 40s Austrian Velour is hard to match but that is just my opinion.

The green heather JHS Foulard does have a great flange along with the felt + overall look. I think this pre 40s Echter Borsalino (talk about rare) also has a great flange and similar look. It's also one of my favorite hats to wear. I prefer the Euro stylings (made for the Euro market) of this time period but they are truely rare finds.

4575403627_074820c7f5_b.jpg

4575402063_54d4998386_b.jpg

That hat is a knockout as well!! Would you say that the euro stylings of this period focused on slightly shorter and more round blocked crowns than in the US? Looking at the JHS Foulard and the Echter Borsalino, it seems that the brim flange was heading in the same direction, but maybe the tall square blocked crowns were not as popular?

That hat is a knockout as well!! Would you say that the euro stylings of this period focused on slightly shorter and more round blocked crowns than in the US? Looking at the JHS Foulard and the Echter Borsalino, it seems that the brim flange was heading in the same direction, but maybe the tall square blocked crowns were not as popular?

It appears Borsalino designed this hat for the German - Austrian market. JHS (and others) exported similar style hats to the US and other European countries.

I think city soft felt hat style was more Europe to US at this point in time. Looking back through the hats in this thread I think one can see the influence.

Another big factor was the felt finish, weight and feel. You see that mentioned in US newspaper ads marketing Euro made hats during this time period. Also the style edge of European fashion centers.

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
It appears Borsalino designed this hat for the German - Austrian market. JHS (and others) exported similar style hats to the US and other European countries.

I think city soft felt hat style influence was more Europe to US at this point time. Looking back through the hats in this thread you can see the influence.

Another big factor was the felt finish, weight and feel. You see that mentioned in US newspaper ads marketing Euro made hats during this time period. Also the style edge of European fashion centers such as Paris and Vienna.

That's really interesting! Thanks so much for the info, Steve! Its really nice to see the comparison between early 30's US and European hats.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Late 1880's/Early 1890's Western Straw Works Childs Hat

I know, I know, its a straw hat....but its not a boater and its not a panama, so I tossed it in here.

DSC06425.jpg

DSC06426.jpg

DSC06427.jpg

DSC06428.jpg

DSC06429.jpg

DSC06430.jpg

DSC06432.jpg

I love the look of the "triple" optimo crown

DSC06434.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members