Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre 1940s dress hats

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Josh the fraded edge on the bow is nice goes along with the sweatband which is real neat. You don't see that type much. Makes it hard to read the logo's on the sweatband.

Wow, Josh! That is just a fantastic hat - I've seen nothing like it before.
You seem to have a talent for finding unique hats and it is always nice to see them here.

Wow. It looks even better in your photos than it did in rilico's. I his photos the contrast between the felt and the ribbon was almost non-existent (actually the reason why I didn't bid - I might be in need of new specs...). That's much better. Absolutely gorgeous! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Josh, Fantastic find! The sweat is really something. Love the contrast with the liner. Super overall look!

Wonderful hat, Josh! Fantastic lines and felt, with unique sweatband and liner. The mothing takes away nothing from this singular hat, in my opinion.
I watched it as soon as it was listed, and was tempted to bid despite the fact that it is five sizes too small for me. A hat like this should be WORN, so I refrained from bidding. Now, I can admire it on your noggin!
Well done! :eusa_clap

THANK YOU, EVERYONE!!! I really do appreciate all your kind and wonderful words!!! This hat was an absolute surprise to me when I opened the box. I first missed the opportunity to bid on the hat when the original seller had it up for auction. I was amazed when Rilico re-posted it for sale. The felt was much dirtier in real life than in the pictures, but it was mostly old dust that had been traped by moisture. There were no liquid stains or anything. The mothing looked a lot worse in the auction pictures than it really is. I stiff and soft brushed the felt when I steamed it. I was very careful not to get any steam on, or near the sweatband. For some reason the original owner of the hat had put an "off-center" center dent in the crown and most likely stayed that way since the 30's. I had to really stiff brush those areas, but after awhile, the felt smoothed out and I was able to pop the crown out straight. I usually leave all my pre-1940's hats in open crown position and only shape the crown when I want to wear them. The shellac in the hat stiffened right up after the steaming, and after all the careful brushing, the felt is very clean and smooth now. The ribbon has no water stains and is the most beautiful shade of light peach. The sweatband and liner are near mint and I really do love the reddish color contrasted with the "speckled" sweatband. Even though the its tagged 6 7/8, it fits my size 7 noggin like a glove. Its very comfortable and light. I just have to be careful not to pick the hat up with dirty fingers....LOL. Again, THANKS EVERYONE!!

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Interesingly enough, it came in a pretty similar color combo, all peachy with a slightly darker ribbon and a dark red liner to boot. Seemed to be NOS in immaculate condition.

I wonder why that type of sweatband was used. Its obviously "different" from all the rest. Perhaps it was a more expensive option? [huh] Was there a store marking on the hat? Possibly this style and color combo was a signature of a particular store chain? So many possibilities.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I wonder why that type of sweatband was used. Its obviously "different" from all the rest. Perhaps it was a more expensive option? [huh] Was there a store marking on the hat? Possibly this style and color combo was a signature of a particular store chain? So many possibilities.

I've only seen a few of those sweats - and never one in person. The only thing I can say, judiging by the photos I've seen, is that they all turned up on pre-40's hats.

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
1930s Emerson

I chose not to steam this hat and just left the original crease in. The felt is very well finished and I love the soft rolled brim.

DSC05724.jpg

DSC05728.jpg

DSC05727.jpg

DSC05731.jpg

DSC05730.jpg

DSC05726.jpg

DSC05733.jpg

DSC05718.jpg

DSC05712.jpg

DSC05710.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Thats lovely Josh! Do you have any pictures of you wearing it? I'd like to see how it looks on :)

+1.

Great looking hat - very curvaceous features. Like you, I like this rolled brim hat. The angled shot from the front of the hat showcases the shape well. How do you imagine that you will wear the hat?

Congrats, Eric -

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Thats lovely Josh! Do you have any pictures of you wearing it? I'd like to see how it looks on :)

+1.
Great looking hat - very curvaceous features. Like you, I like this rolled brim hat. The angled shot from the front of the hat showcases the shape well. How do you imagine that you will wear the hat?
Congrats, Eric -

Josh, Fantastic find!

Thanks for your kind words everyone!!!

DJD, I havent taken any head shots yet, but will post some shorly.

Eric, I would imagine that I will wear the hat will a tan over coat or maybe a polo coat. It doesnt look as dressy as a homburg, but dressier than a fedora. The brim is soft on the hat, unlike many homburg, you can "snap" the brim if you like.....it doesnt look great when you do....but its possible.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
very cool! Would it be officially considered a homburg, or does the lack of edge binding throw that notion out of the water?

Thanks, bowlerman! Well, I tell ya, this issue has been debated for some time on the lounge, and I am not sure I have an answer. Some people will call it a homburg, some will call it the "lords" hat, and some will call it neither. I dont think of it as a homburg because it doesn't seem as dressy to me, and classically a homburg was a dressier hat than a fedora. Maybe this is the in between..???

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy