Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre 1940s (non-Stetson) Westerns

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
For all the early westerns that don't fit into the Stetson westerns thread.

IMG_6277.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

IMG_0519.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The Stetson liner is not original to this hat- It came from a moth eaten early '40s Imperial. Hat probably dates post 1940, but is stylistically quite similar to those made before the cutoff.

IMG_4118.jpg

IMG_4121.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman said:
Looks like a liner was added to this one fairly recently. The sweat definitely looks old though. Ebay photo grab.

_1259550074562.jpg

_1259550082832.jpg

_1259550098955.jpg

_1259550105172.jpg

Good call, Dinerman - the sweatband indicated to me that it was 1920's or older. Definitely a much more modern ribbon/bow and liner. Due to very ground-in dirt (felt was crusty), and too small of size, I took the hat apart, scrubbed and re-blocked it to my size. Tony (Tumwater Hats) added a sweatband and bow - We thought that it was probably fur felt, but I'm thinking it might be very high-quality wool... and here's the result:

After re-block:

TomHornShell.jpg

TomHornFront.jpg

TomHornSide.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Miller Hats - Tommy Grimes Copy

Biggest hat I've ever owned - 7" crown, 4 1/2" brim. This is Miller Hats copy of Stetson's 'Tommy Grimes'. Very dirty with the remnants of several bashes, so re-blocked and added a Tom Horn:

MillerSideUnB.jpg

MillerSide.jpg

MillerFrontTH.jpg

MillerSweatTag.jpg

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
That thing is massive! Almost to the point where it's a bit unrealistic, if you ask me. Could you show us some head shots, for a reference?

flute

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman said:
Wow- that turned out great!

Thanks. The scrubbing took out so much dirt you wouldn't believe it - I originally thought the hat was light brown, but it's almost white.

Nigel

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
The Stetson liner is not original to this hat- It came from a moth eaten early '40s Imperial. Hat probably dates post 1940, but is stylistically quite similar to those made before the cutoff.

IMG_4118.jpg

IMG_4121.jpg

That's one fine hat Dinerman. I've been looking for something similar, it's of the style worn by the Great Basin Buckaroos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ