Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre-Code Hollywood New Releases.

mike

Call Me a Cab
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALRIGHT!!!! William Wellman is my favorite!!!! What an awesome collection!!! :D

And since I have your ear Louie, any word on more shirts?! I'd still love to get a long sleeve NRA shirt for a friend!

Louie

Familiar Face
Oh yeah, I still got tons more NRA shirts left, PM me what size you are looking for and where I'm sending it to and I can get you a total. Thanks!

mike

Call Me a Cab
Louie said:
Oh yeah, I still got tons more NRA shirts left, PM me what size you are looking for and where I'm sending it to and I can get you a total. Thanks!

I think you need to empty your mailbox, I actually tried messaging you about it a few days ago.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
mike said:
William Wellman is my favorite!!!! What an awesome collection!!!

I'm a huge Wellman fan, too, and that collection sounds great -- have you read his memoir? I keep meaning to.

Tony in Tarzana said:
Oh yeah, I have a mad crush on Norma Shearer. Wish I had a time machine.

Have you read Gavin Lambert's Shearer biography? I finished it last week and recommend it.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Pre-Code Box Set to be released in April

I'm utterly thrilled by this! I've only seen two of them (Murder At The Vanities & Torch Singer). I can't wait to see Merrily We Go To Hell and (especially) The Search For Beauty. I haven't heard of the others, but they look delicious. Universal and Paramount pre-Codes are a rare treat!

http://www.classicflix.com/precode-...ger-murder-vanities-search-beauty-p-8168.html

precodehollywoodcol1.jpg

mike

Call Me a Cab
Very cool! I can't wait! Between this and Forbidden Hollywood Vol 3, this is going to be a great few months! :)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
OK, without violating Lounge rules, let me venture into very carefully considered territory and ask if any mainstream pre-code films would actually garner any kind of cautionary rating in 2009? Were there any mainstream (from the big studios) films with outright nudity, profanity, etc., besides the commonly known Hedy Lamarr bit(s)?

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Maureen O'Sullivan was completely nude in the infamous swim scene from Tarzan. While I don't remember any full frontal nudity, it didn't leave much to the imagination.

mike

Call Me a Cab
I think they were a lot more imaginative as far as what was shocking back then. Today's version of "profanity" is similar to how a modern "horror" movie tries to shock a person with an overload of gore and loud noises.

mike

Call Me a Cab
BeBopBaby said:
Maureen O'Sullivan was completely nude in the infamous swim scene from Tarzan. While I don't remember any full frontal nudity, it didn't leave much to the imagination.

I think that's the point, you don't need to actually see stuff for it to have an affect. As a matter of fact, quoting Lemmy "The chase is better than the catch!" In the hands of artists, not seeing can be much more powerful than seeing.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
scotrace said:
OK, without violating Lounge rules, let me venture into very carefully considered territory and ask if any mainstream pre-code films would actually garner any kind of cautionary rating in 2009?

There's nothing graphic, but the plot of BABY FACE might be a tough sell today, unless Barbara Stanwyck's character was made into an evil character.

I think the same might be true of FEMALE.

By the way, both of those films are being shown in Breadlines and Champagne, an upcoming series of 1930s pictures at NYC's Film Forum.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
mike said:
Very cool! I can't wait! Between this and Forbidden Hollywood Vol 3, this is going to be a great few months! :)

REALLY!!!??? :eek: When can we expect this and what films are included??

mike

Call Me a Cab
skyvue said:
I'm a huge Wellman fan, too, and that collection sounds great -- have you read his memoir? I keep meaning to.

Have you read Gavin Lambert's Shearer biography? I finished it last week and recommend it.

A Short Time for Insanity? I'm halfway through, it's all over the place as he wrote it while on tons of painkillers but really well worth the read!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats