Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre- WW2 Wool A-1 Spearhead Militaria

thor

One Too Many
I bought a wool A-1 and a US Navy zippered deck jacket from Spearhead Militaria recently. The A-1 is pretty nice quality for such a low price, and the size XXL fits me perfectly (I am 6' 1"' and weigh 210 pounds, usually wear a size 46 Long jacket). The Navy deck jacket isn't bad, but I found it a much looser fit (and only a size XL...go figure) especially around the waist. Plus, the jacket length seems a tad short (while the A-1 is spot on). As far as authenticty is concerned, some A-1 jackets from WW1 were wool and some were leather. IMHO, there are too few surviving examples or clear period photos of these jackets to make any kind of generalized assumptions regarding specific manufacturer's details.
For the price, you can't go wrong!

I bought a wool A-1 and a US Navy zippered deck jacket from Spearhead Militaria recently. The A-1 is pretty nice quality for such a low price, and the size XXL fits me perfectly (I am 6' 1"' and weigh 210 pounds, usually wear a size 46 Long jacket). The Navy deck jacket isn't bad, but I found it a much looser fit (and only a size XL...go figure) especially around the waist. Plus, the jacket length seems a tad short (while the A-1 is spot on). As far as authenticty is concerned, some A-1 jackets from WW1 were wool and some were leather. IMHO, there are too few surviving examples or clear period photos of these jackets to make any kind of generalized assumptions regarding specific manufacturer's details.For the price, you can't go wrong!
Thor, would you mind measuring the XXL A-1 for me? I pondered one as a beater, and just never was sure on the size. It's saying 48/50, but what you say contradicts that.Many thanks,Scott

thor

One Too Many
Hi Scott,

The Spearhead wool A-1 measures 25 inches armpit to armpit (buttoned) and a sleeve length of 27.5 inches. It fits me with room for a light sweater or sweatshirt underneath, so it's not snug on me. There may be some minor size differences among two different Spearhead XXL jackets (who knows how the quality control people are in China or Singapore or wherever these jackets are made!) but those are the measurements of this specific XXL jacket.
Hope this helps, my friend.

best,

Thor

Hi Scott,The Spearhead wool A-1 measures 25 inches armpit to armpit (buttoned) and a sleeve length of 27.5 inches. It fits me with room for a light sweater or sweatshirt underneath, so it's not snug on me. There may be some minor size differences among two different Spearhead XXL jackets (who knows how the quality control people are in China or Singapore or wherever these jackets are made!) but those are the measurements of this specific XXL jacket.Hope this helps, my friend.best,Thor
Thor, you're the best! Thanks, I think that would work great. I'll take your recommendation. Been watching those for about a year. Scott

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Thor, you're the best! Thanks, I think that would work great. I'll take your recommendation. Been watching those for about a year. Scott

It's a lovely jacket - I passed on a 42 to my son (to grow into) as it was too snug for me; I'd need a 44.
The quality of workmanship was superb...and it had cost me £30 so I was doubly chuffed.

It's a lovely jacket - I passed on a 42 to my son (to grow into) as it was too snug for me; I'd need a 44.The quality of workmanship was superb...and it had cost me £30 so I was doubly chuffed.
Cheers Ian. That's a solid recommendation for me. You are The King of the A-1 lol

Sgt.MikeHorvath

Familiar Face
I bought a wool A-1 and a US Navy zippered deck jacket from Spearhead Militaria recently. The A-1 is pretty nice quality for such a low price, and the size XXL fits me perfectly (I am 6' 1"' and weigh 210 pounds, usually wear a size 46 Long jacket). The Navy deck jacket isn't bad, but I found it a much looser fit (and only a size XL...go figure) especially around the waist. Plus, the jacket length seems a tad short (while the A-1 is spot on). As far as authenticty is concerned, some A-1 jackets from WW1 were wool and some were leather. IMHO, there are too few surviving examples or clear period photos of these jackets to make any kind of generalized assumptions regarding specific manufacturer's details.
For the price, you can't go wrong!

Hi there Thor,
please can you post any pics about it?Maybe while wearing it too?it's a long time i want to buy ones but i'd like to see some fitting photos before.Many thanks.

thor

One Too Many
Hi there Thor,
please can you post any pics about it?Maybe while wearing it too?it's a long time i want to buy ones but i'd like to see some fitting photos before.Many thanks.
I'll try to take some pics soon; we're in the middle of buying a new house and moving so things are a bit hectic at the moment.
Rest assured, for the price the wool A-1 is a bargain!

D

Deleted member 16736

I am very dubious of buying a Chinese jacket: customer service is a big concern. Will they really stand behind their product? Quality is another issue. Chinese jackets are probably like anything made in China by a Chinese company: not world-class. But for me the most important issue by far is the sourcing of their horsehide. There are strict laws in Western countries about killing animals for their hide. I suspect China is a lot more relaxed about it, and the thought that a living horse was killed to make my jacket doesn't sit well with me at all.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Joel, unless your horse was wearing a sweater you can rest easy this A-1 is woollen ;-)
Quality of this product is also perfectly acceptable.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I should stop reading this forum…it's addictive !!!
So I went in search of the Type A-1 "wool" jacket by SpearHead.
Found it.
Also , found this offering …on eBay.
WW2 -USA- Type A-1 ( Shirt / Jacket ) ??

KGrHqVhcFcvJpr8yBQSLk9D1w60_57.jpg
[/IMG]

Edward

Bartender
Chinese jackets are probably like anything made in China by a Chinese company: not world-class.

I've encountered a whole range of Chinese goods that are indeed world class.... the place only has a poor reputation for quality because they are perfectly willing to produce the low quality rubbish that the Western market demands. [huh]

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Well, I've finally put some money down on a woollen 'A-1' (although I imagine that the designation would have been different if it had been military) from Spearhead in a 44.
Might need some tailoring of the sleeve ends, but looking forward to using this as a cold weather jacket for work.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
No problem Bret, have to do something on the Menlo too, although on reflection John Lever covered this well.

Edward

Bartender
Well, I've finally put some money down on a woollen 'A-1' (although I imagine that the designation would have been different if it had been military) from Spearhead in a 44.
Might need some tailoring of the sleeve ends, but looking forward to using this as a cold weather jacket for work.

Look forward to seeing that. I'll be particularly interested in your thoughts on their sizing, as I seem to fall between a 42 and a 44 from them. (I have one of their Travis Bickle tanker jackets and I really am well pleased with it).

Got one of these a couple of months ago.
I did have the sleeves shortened.
Like it a lot for what I paid for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21