Premature burial that causes you the most pain....

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by Bruce Wayne, Sep 29, 2012.

1. There was another show whose title I can't think of. It was about a sitcom about a TV family from the 1950s who find themselves transported to the 1980s or 90s which is when this show came out.

2. C44Antelope

C44Antelope One of the Regulars

Keen Eddie There were some things about the show that I hated, but I liked the way it was shot and modern London... well it was modern then.

3. Lynx

Lynx New in Town

there are plenty of well written shows that get axed prematurely for one reason or another that deserved to continue development

Noted above:
    The Lost Room (they could have kept it going)
    Firefly
    Life on Mars

others:
    Persons Unknown
    Jericho
    Intelligence
    Flash Forward

4. Stanley Doble

Stanley Doble Call Me a Cab

Rowan and Martin's Laugh In. One of the freshest and funniest shows ever. Replaced by Hee Haw, one of the cheesiest.

5. Sock it to me! Another show I have very fond memories of. :)

[video=youtube;vgS0Zen_w0c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgS0Zen_w0c[/video]

[video=youtube;SQyUKnCf0YY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQyUKnCf0YY[/video]
    And BTW, Arte Johnson is wearing his shoulder straps the wrong way :p

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  6. W-D Forties

W-D Forties Practically Family

Carnivale.
    I still have no idea what it was about but it was one of the most atmospheric shows I have ever seen.

The Invaders ... a Quinn Martin production! The Invaders...alien beings form another world... their purpose? To make it THEIR world!

7. DesertDan

DesertDan One Too Many

Loved watching Rowan & Martin's when I was a kid
    My best friend is Artie Johnson's nephew. So I guess that means I have only 2 degees of seperation from John Lennon...Cool!

8. bulldog1935

bulldog1935 Suspended

The Prisoner
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. MissNathalieVintage

MissNathalieVintage Practically Family

The wonderful world of Disney. On Sunday evenings they use to show movies. Quite a few of the movies were about real life people.

10. MissNathalieVintage

Quincy
    Trapper John MD

11. Gregg Axley

Gregg Axley I'll Lock Up

Trapper John MD was on some cable station awhile back, and we started getting into it, only to find out they only had 2 seasons!

12. Don't recall that episode, but I taped the one where the surfer GI is joined in country by his twin brother. I love when the Viet girl lip syncs "Soldier Boy" to her cassette player. In the first episode, I remember when Pvt. Ruiz was walking into one of the hooches for the first time, and the other GIs silently stared at him. He glared back and casually said, "What's the matter? Ain't you ever seen a Puerto Rican before?"...Yeah, a pretty good series.

13. MissNathalieVintage

I do not remember Trapper John MD running that short. I looked the show up and it stated the show ran from 1979-1986. And that it was the longest running spin off from M*A*S*H.

A couple of other shows I miss are:
    Young Elvis

Gidget, granted I was not born when the series ran. I watched the reruns on TV. And with most TV shows past and present on DVD it sparkes a whole new generation of intrest. Especially since I was first introduced to vintage from rerun TV shows on cable free TV.

14. mflemming

mflemming One of the Regulars

Firefly : some of the best SF ever done on TV.

Space Rangers - Fort Hope : had the potential to be goofy-great, only lasted 6 epsiodes.

15. mflemming

mflemming One of the Regulars

Since you mentioned Gidget, a bit of Americana trivia: I recently learned that she is a real person, the 17 year old capable of surfing with the guys on Malibu Beach in 1957. The group that set the archetype of West Coast surfing culture all went by nicknames, and since Kathy was only about 4 feet 10 inches tall they started off calling her "girl midget" which got shortened to Gidget. Her father was a Hollywood screenwriter who wrote a book, available on Amazon, about her surfing summers that was the basis for the movie and TV series.

More info here:

http://www.atomicbride.com/gidget.html

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/aug/24/local/la-me-terry-tubesteak-tracy-20120824

http://www.grindtv.com/surf/blog/34583/rip+terry+tubesteak+tracy+the+original+big+kahuna/

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  16. Gregg Axley

Gregg Axley I'll Lock Up

17. Treetopflyer

Treetopflyer Practically Family

Quantum Leap and Magnum P.I.

18. Absinthe_1900

Absinthe_1900 One Too Many

Buddy Faro should have gotten a full run, and I wished Banyon, and City of Angels, had lasted longer too.

19. AtomicEraTom

AtomicEraTom

Yes and yes. Awesome programs.

20. MissNathalieVintage