Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Private SNAFU Cartoons.....

ladybrettashley

One of the Regulars
Oh, i have a whole tape of Private Snafu! A friend of mine found it at a flea market and sent it to me a few years back. (The best friends are ones who send you mail!)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Actually, as the famous story goes, Mel Blanc wanted the toughest possible New York accent for Bugs Bunny, so he combined a Bronx accent and a Brooklyn accent! (Linguists don't consider these two accents different... but if Mel could tell the difference, who are we to argue?!?)

Re Snafu and Bugs having similar voices: try and imagine a time before YouTube, before downloading, before DVDs or VHS tapes, before cable, before home collections of 16mm film, heck, before TELEVISION... You saw a cartoon in a theater ONCE (and then NEVER again). You saw another cartoon weeks/months later. You didn't recall/notice vocal similarities.

Sometimes we should make an effort to remember that these cartoons were made strictly for one-time theatrical viewings. They were considered disposable junk entertainment. At the time, nobody (in the film industry, or anywhere else) imagined that they'd be viewed repeatedly, analyzed, and studied. The way we watch these cartoons now is VERY different from the way they were intended to be seen!

Sleepy LaGoon

New in Town
Doctor Strange said:
Sometimes we should make an effort to remember that these cartoons were made strictly for one-time theatrical viewings. They were considered disposable junk entertainment. At the time, nobody (in the film industry, or anywhere else) imagined that they'd be viewed repeatedly, analyzed, and studied. The way we watch these cartoons now is VERY different from the way they were intended to be seen!

So true, Doctor. For example, Tex Avery was a genius, but try watching the entire Tex Avery collection straight through without getting annoyed at seeing the same gags reappearing over and over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR