Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Problematic Fountain Pens

NEW & BALKY FOUNTAIN PENS? FORMULA 409 TRICK!

Have you ever had a new fountain pen that just won't write right? You have filled it and it skips or won't write at all. Well the culprit may be grease or oils left over from manufacturing that is interfering with the delivery of ink.

The short lived Stylofiles magazine gave this pointer but again use caution; you may damage a pen if the chemicals attack a part. I believe aluminum is the most susceptible to chemical damage of the metals and both celluloid and casein are easy to damage, so use caution if you've got those as components of your pen lengthy soaking may present a problem. The caveat: Do NOT DAMAGE YOUR PENS! We not responsible for any damages to pens!

VERSION ONE
Take regular Formula 409 and a small glass like a cordial or shot glass. Spray some 409 in the glass and mix with 3 to 4 parts of COLD water. Dip the nib and feed in the mixture then fill and flush the converter or filling system with the mixture for 1 or 2 minutes. Then replace the mixture with plain COLD water and flush for a minute replace water and flush repeat replacing and flushing again and again for a couple more minutes so no trace of the Formula 409 remains. Then fill with new clean ink, the pen should write better if the oil or grease was the culprit. Be sure to empty the pen of all ink first then flush with plain water before using the cleaning mixture. Always use COLD water as warm or hot can damage the feed!

VERSION 2
This is supposed to work on both new and older pens that are presenting a skipping on no flow challenge. Stylus Magazine and some Pen Aficionados contend Formula 409 and Simple Green as too harsh to use on pens. Their alternate flusher and cleaner is a solution you can easily mix up.

Mix 1 Tablespoon of Clear Household Ammonia to 2/3rds cup of Cold Water. Flush with this mixture and then flush thoroughly with PLAIN cold water to remove any residue. (Clear also means NOT sudsy type.)

Happy writing!

Marty M.

Vendor
Smudge free writing.

John in Colvina,
Once again I must compliment you on a great post. Very informative. Thanks much.

Marty

magneto

Practically Family
Balky pen remedy

Agreed, I will save this tip (hee hee). I read somewhere, someone, recommending putting a drop of dishwashing soap in the ink of a balky pen?! Is that safe/recommended to do, do you know?

Detergent in ink.

magneto said:
Agreed, I will save this tip (hee hee). I read somewhere, someone, recommending putting a drop of dishwashing soap in the ink of a balky pen?! Is that safe/recommended to do, do you know?
I have heard of it but never actually seen it recomended. Here's what is up: the feed the part under the nib that may look like a Christmas tree or a radiator with a lot of fins directs and holds the ink and is part of the control as to why the ink doesn't run out. The feed is made of specific materials because it attracts the ink, literally the surface tension of the ink draws it onto the feed then to the nib and paper. Grease and oil interferes with this surface tension and detergent modifies the surface tension and combats grease and oil. Does it work? Can't say for certain, but the inks are designed for specific abilities and how it gets attracted to the feed nib and paper is part of the design.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot