Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proper Dress for Bermudian Embassy Party

Fu Manchu

One of the Regulars
Hello all,

My father is involved in organizing the US embassy Fourth of July party in Hamilton, Bermuda. I'll be flying in that morning. Of course I want to be nattily attired. I'm thinking Bermuda shorts, navy blazer, high dress socks, and loafers - the whole schlemiel. I have two questions for the lounge:

1. Where the heck do I get proper Bermuda shorts and socks?

2. Thoughts on whether a bowtie is acceptable with Bermuda shorts?

Thanks for yr. imput.

Fu Manchu

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
J. Crew does a layout with shorts and a bowtie with blazer.

Personally, I wouldn't wear Bermuda shorts to an Embassy Party, Bermuda or not. It is not formal enough if, like me, you are not from Bermuda. I would wear crisp Cotton poplin, natty seersucker, or summer weight wool.

I wouldn't wear a kilt to a Scottish wedding either.

But that's just my dopey opinion and I could be wrong. ;)

In any case, have a great time and take photos.

yachtsilverswan

Familiar Face
Evening Fu Manchu -

Sounds like a great party.

Proper dress for any event should cue from the host and hostess. American Consul General Gregory Slayton and his wife Marina have a reputation on the island as being very casual, particularly when compared to the rather formal British Colonial etiquette common in Hamilton. A short bio on the Consul General, originally printed in a Bermudian Newspaper is found here: http://www.theroyalgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050915/BUSINESS/109150123

Hemmingway Jones brings up a useful point - you would not want to be seen by the Bermudian guests as a "poser" wearing their national dress without any cultural or family ties to the island. On the other hand, at every G-8 Conference, Heads of State pose in the National Dress of the host country.

I would recommend you telephone the US State Department's Chief of Protocol at 202-647-1735 and speak with the duty officer.

Failing that, I would wear a navy blazer, white cotton dress shirt, bowtie, seersucker shorts (not cuffed), and loafers with tassels (loafers without tassels are less acceptable in Hamilton). I would bring the dark over-the-calf socks with you in the car and either quickly put them on as you survey the other arriving guests, or leave them off for a more American Traditional look. Bring a white linen handkerchief for your back pocket, business or calling cards, a good pen and small notebook to remember names and titles of anyone you meet (titles are very important to Bermudians). I would think the appropriate hat would be a Panama. Another tip - Because of Bermuda’s colonial ties to England, Bermudian Society takes seriously the regimental or school tie. Don't unknowingly wear a rep tie that signals alumni status in a military unit or school.

Because the party honors American Independence Day, bring a small US flag folded in your inner jacket pocket that you can wave when they play the Star Spangled Banner (make sure you know the words to ALL FOUR VERSES of the Star Spangled Banner, all five verses of the Battle Hymn of the Republic, and some other patriotic standards). Lyrics here: http://www.couplescompany.com/Features/Politics/SpangleBanner.htm

Remember - no American Flag clothing - that's an actual violation of US law.

Have fun.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
yachtsilverswan said:
Hemmingway Jones brings up a useful point - you would not want to be seen by the Bermudian guests as a "poser" wearing their national dress without any cultural or family ties to the island.

I concur. It took several visits to Bermuda before I felt that I had "earned" the right to wear their national garb. That said, I never really felt comfortable wearing shorts and a jacket.

Fu Manchu

One of the Regulars
A Homecoming of Sorts

Thanks all for the great advice and the words of caution about sticking out like a sore thumb.

I probably should have given a bit more "backstory." I was born in Bermuda back in 1978 when my father was last stationed at the Customs base. My parents lived there for four (?) years at the time; I was there for less than a year before he was reassigned to a job stateside.

Recently, my father managed to get a transfer back to Bermuda. My family sees my return to Bermuda as a homecoming... of sorts. This is why I'd like to show up to the party on the fourth in proper (not ostentatious) Bermudian dress.

I'll be doing my best to put this together and will let all of you know how it progresses. Of course I'll have pictures to share - my mother is a fiend with her digital camera!

Fu Manchu

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Better than we

You have access to far more correct advice than we can give. Sounds like a wonderful homecoming and a great time. Can't wait to see those pictures!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Since your father is organizing the event at the embassy, who better than your parents to ask what would be the proper attire for you to wear to the party? They would have the best insight as to what would or wouldn't go over well. As others have stated, you don't want to stand out like a sore thumb nor do you want to do anything that might reflect badly on your dad since he's in charge. They're your best source of info on what parameters and guidelines would be best for you to follow. No sense in getting an entire outfit and then finding out they didn't think it appropriate for the party and then having to scramble to put something together at the last minute IMHO.

Fu Manchu

One of the Regulars
Update

I just spoke with my family in Bermuda. Disappointingly, the party on the actual fourth of July is more of a casual picnic for kids. The more formal party was just announced for July 1st; I'll still be en route from the far East. Oh well. I'm still going to get together proper Bermudian dress, as I'm certain that there will be other occasions for it during my extended visit this summer (and, indeed, over the next few years.) I'll keep everyone up to date.

Story

I'll Lock Up
yachtsilverswan said:
Because the party honors American Independence Day, bring a small US flag folded in your inner jacket pocket that you can wave when they play the Star Spangled Banner (make sure you know the words to ALL FOUR VERSES of the Star Spangled Banner, all five verses of the Battle Hymn of the Republic, and some other patriotic standards). Lyrics here: http://www.couplescompany.com/Features/Politics/SpangleBanner.htm

Remember - no American Flag clothing - that's an actual violation of US law.

Have fun.

Excellent advice, save that civilians should uncover and put their right hands over their hearts while singing the National Anthem. ;)

United States Code Title 36 Chapter 3 — National Anthem, Motto, Floral Emblem, and March
§301. National anthem; Star-Spangled Banner

1. The composition consisting of the words and music known as The Star-Spangled Banner is designated the national anthem of the United States of America.

2. Conduct during playing — During rendition of the national anthem—
1. when the flag is displayed —
1. all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart;
2. men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold the headdress at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
3. individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note; and
2. when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

yachtsilverswan

Familiar Face
Mr. Story is right, and I stand corrected.

Fu Manchu will just have to save the flag waving for the Battle Hymn of the Republic and the Stars & Stripes Forever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt