Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proper G-1 Jacket Fit?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
44 for sure. You need to remember that people who aren't very familiar with fight jackets think that the really baggy ones are how they should fit, since this is how the average Joe has been wearing them for the past decades.

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
I think the 44 is the better fit.
I agree after trying both on again. I noticed the 46 shoulder seams drooped off my shoulder, sleeves a bit too long, and the biggest difference is in the waist. The waist on the 46 was noticeably looser and you can see from the side pictures the back side sticks out way more. Makes me look huge when I sit down.

I already put the 46 in the mail back to Cockpit :)

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
Going back to what Big J and Seb were talking about... The Top Gun Hero and the 100 Missions are definitely different patterns, although probably very similar. I wonder WHY Cockpit keep 'dodging' this?
I have emailed Cockpit about this a number of times. At first they direct me to the 100 Missions, then they say, "yes, well, the ONLY differences are..." Besides the pattern and horizontal seem, the collar is also slightly different. If the same guy had both jackets in the same size and took pics, one would see they drape differently also.
Also, the TG Hero is offered in long sizes now, not the 100 Missions (yet)
I have had the 100 missions, size 40, nice jacket, but too short on me, a bit of room in the torso also... could have gone down to a 38 possibly.
From what I keep hearing, guys tell me to size up in the TG Hero....
Jackie did say (after much badgering) that they could make me a TG Hero 40 long without the patches, but I would have to pay a premium for the 'effort'???, so I gave up and ordered a Headwind M422a instead!
If anyone at Cockpit reads this... I am annoyed at you! ;)
Brettafett: I just finished trying on 3 sizes for the Top Gun Heroes G-1. I can definitely vouch for people when they say to go up one size from your regular chest size. I have a 42” chest and the TG jacket fit very snug in a 42. The 44 fits great and still looks nice and trim with the right amount of space. Fits more like a 43”.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
The 42 feels fine with a button down shirt on. I think the snugness I am feeling is at the top of my shoulders - could be a function of the cut and my broader upper body. If I wear a sweater it starts to feel pretty fitted.

The 44 definitely is more comfy up top but gets blousey in the midsection as you might tell from the photos. Comfortable enough to wear thicker sweaters though.

I figured in the long run it may be worth keeping both. Different looks and uses. Who knows, I am only about to turn 30...may need the extra room later on (although doing my best to keep staying lean and fit, lol)

Worth thinking seriously about how you are going to wear it - and how much you love or will continue to love the Top Gun associations. Will you always love it enough for it to be worth having two versions of the same jacket for wearing with different underlayers, or should you think about owning one of this and maybe a plain or differently-badged USN jacket in the other size? And do you really need two? The 42 might look better with just a shirt under it, but does it look better enough that you really need the second jacket? Or is it worth just having the larger one you can layer with?

Cockpit makes very nice jackets, but their customer service combined with their weird sizing...phew..

I once tried a size 40 100 mission G-2, perfect fit, but I had a size 36 long WW2 A-2, and a size 40 reissue goat A-2 (this latter was too baggy, yet short.) One can't just keep sending jackets back and forth across the pond.

Yes. I've sometimes considered a Cockpit G1 as a 'beater', but there is that factor. Likely I'll wait and look at them in the States once the pound improves enough - and like everything else they're always significantly cheaper over there than buying in the UK.

I see people who eat a lot and doing physical activities in sport, hobby or job requirement grow big when they are slowing down from those activities, people who just don't eat much and not very active to begin with practically stay the same weight throughout their life.

True. I've piled on the weight over the last few years. Was never into sport (I actively loathe it; I think in part I was born without the requisite competitiveness gene), but back in the day I did used to walk six or eight miles a day, which I just don't have time for now. Trying to lose weight over forty is much harder than it was ten years ago when I could drop half a stone in a week by being careful what I ate; now I'm even having to consider going to the gym as a temporary measure - something of which I am very bitterly resentful.

It's not a weird scene if you think Maverick is still in the closet at that point in the movie.

Dissappointingly, "You can ride my tail" is a misquote, but otherwise it stacks up perfectly...

In those photos I would say the 44 looks better - though not by enough to my eye to be really worth having two of the same jacket if you still want to wear motorcycle armour with one.

Brettafett: I just finished trying on 3 sizes for the Top Gun Heroes G-1. I can definitely vouch for people when they say to go up one size from your regular chest size. I have a 42” chest and the TG jacket fit very snug in a 42. The 44 fits great and still looks nice a trim with the right amount of space. Fits more like a 43”.

My experience with all of this style of jacket I've tried. I need asize up from my A2 size in all USN jackets.

Alexlutov

A-List Customer
1.jpg
20180525_230051.jpg
20180525_230139.jpg
Привет))) это мой Мартин Лейн '69, как вы думаете, это хорошо подходит?

Last edited:

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
Worth thinking seriously about how you are going to wear it - and how much you love or will continue to love the Top Gun associations. Will you always love it enough for it to be worth having two versions of the same jacket for wearing with different underlayers, or should you think about owning one of this and maybe a plain or differently-badged USN jacket in the other size? And do you really need two? The 42 might look better with just a shirt under it, but does it look better enough that you really need the second jacket? Or is it worth just having the larger one you can layer with?

Yes. I've sometimes considered a Cockpit G1 as a 'beater', but there is that factor. Likely I'll wait and look at them in the States once the pound improves enough - and like everything else they're always significantly cheaper over there than buying in the UK.

True. I've piled on the weight over the last few years. Was never into sport (I actively loathe it; I think in part I was born without the requisite competitiveness gene), but back in the day I did used to walk six or eight miles a day, which I just don't have time for now. Trying to lose weight over forty is much harder than it was ten years ago when I could drop half a stone in a week by being careful what I ate; now I'm even having to consider going to the gym as a temporary measure - something of which I am very bitterly resentful.

Dissappointingly, "You can ride my tail" is a misquote, but otherwise it stacks up perfectly...

In those photos I would say the 44 looks better - though not by enough to my eye to be really worth having two of the same jacket if you still want to wear motorcycle armour with one.

My experience with all of this style of jacket I've tried. I need asize up from my A2 size in all USN jackets.
I definitely decided a little while ago that the Top Gun 44 is the best size to keep as I figured that money could be used towards a 100 Mission G-1 instead, which is essentially the TG jacket without the patches (some minor differences in details).

Edward

Bartender
View attachment 122015 View attachment 122016 View attachment 122017 Привет))) это мой Мартин Лейн ' 69, как вы думаете, это хорошо подходит? плечи, грудь, длина рукава очень удобные, но эластичная талия очень туго..со временем я обязательно заменю на нем майку, сделаю то, что бы талия стала более свободной почти без напряжения ..не слишком ли она коротка на спине?

I'm afraid I don't follow your question, but the jacket looks like a great fit!

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
[ATTACH = full] 122015 [/ ATTACH] [ATTACH = full] 122016 [/ ATTACH] [ATTACH = full] 122017 [/ ATTACH] Привет))) это мой Мартин Лейн '69, как вы думаете, это хорошо подходит?
I agree with Edward. The fit looks good! Proportions look right.

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
I think thats a really good fit btw.
To answer your queries...
I had both an older Avirex G-1, the 100 Missions G-1 and the Forrestal. The 100 M and Forrestal are the same jacket, the Forrstel without the fur. I found they fit well, were well made and solid jackets.
I personally prefer a touch more length. Cockpit G-1 jackets for me, in my regular size 40, fit fine (I may get away with a 38 long), but are always a touch short on me... Sleeve length was great, shoulders were good, pit to pit had a touch of extra room, but the darn length... Just wish I could magically add an inch.
I know the Mil Spec comes in a long, and the Top Gun Hero now also, but then the sleeves...! I think you will find you'd be the same size in all of these. The patterns are essentially the same, with minor differences (I've been through this numerous times with Cockpit, incl Stanley himself)...
I was hampering after a Top Gun Hero in a size 38 or 40 long, WITHOUT the patches, and this was possible... for a hefty fee, but it just became too complex and the interest wained.
Ordered my Headwind HL Block M422a instead and thats looking the bomb.
I currently have their Government issue WW2 A-2 version in a 36LONG! And it fit very well.
Brettafett - I am considering both the 100 Missions G-1 and the Forrestal in the future to add to my collection. Is the Forrestal the same fit as the 100 Missions G-1?

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
Hey fellow G-1 fans, as a heads up I recently ordered an extra Cockpit Top Gun Heroes jacket so I could try two on in a size 44 to see if there any noticeable manufacturing differences. There were as you may have guessed. Jacky at Cockpit told me prior to ordering the jacket is made from their vintage treated goatskin and so that the same jacket in the same size may fit slightly differently due to the treatment of the leather.

The second jacket had a shorter back length by an inch! Sleeve length was about a half inch shorter. Pit to pit and shoulder seam width was about the same but it felt a bit more fitted in the waist. And to top it off, the collar was noticeably bigger, lighter in color, and softer. But almost too big and made the proportion look off. I kept the longer and every slightly larger jacket with the smaller collar.

Not to overly complicate matters, but my suggestion to everyone is to order two of the same size to try on and compare before settling!

Brettafett

One Too Many
Interesting, answered in the other post Drewdog2323... before reading this one.
Your 44 TG Hero looks awesome!
I was trying so hard to get a TG Hero in a long, but without the patches and didn't want another 100 Missions G-1... (Essentially pull one off the assembly line, before patching and sell it to me - not so simple)...
Came close, but then was told to wait for new production and they wanted to charge me 'prime' moola for the efforts. I gave up and ordered a Headwind M422a instead... and you should see it ;) Its on the way will post pics soon.

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
Interesting, answered in the other post Drewdog2323... before reading this one.
Your 44 TG Hero looks awesome!
I was trying so hard to get a TG Hero in a long, but without the patches and didn't want another 100 Missions G-1... (Essentially pull one off the assembly line, before patching and sell it to me - not so simple)...
Came close, but then was told to wait for new production and they wanted to charge me 'prime' moola for the efforts. I gave up and ordered a Headwind M422a instead... and you should see it ;) Its on the way will post pics soon.
Thanks @Brettafett ! I am quite pleased with the TG jacket. It holds a special place in my G-1 collection - definitely a conversation piece. You may still want to consider getting one!

I am quite frankly shocked Cockpit wants to charge you a premium to get a non-patched version. It seems as simple to me as just not sewing on the patches prior to shipping it to you. At the most they could just say they will charge you the same price...

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
Hey everyone! I don't know if any of you are on Cockpit's e-mailing list, but they are supposed to have a special "suprise"/promo for July 4th starting July 1st. If their past July 4th e-mails are any indication, they will have 25% off of their Heritage Collection. The Heritage Collection can be found here: https://www.cockpitusa.com/heritage...156873081&mc_cid=f448a01e67&mc_eid=aac3737a19

I have their G-1 "mil-spec" (size 42) and Top Gun Movie Heroes G-1 (size 44) in my collection. I am looking to get the following jackets:
Classic Naval Aviator's "100 Mission" Flight Jacket (without patches) - Item #: Z21C0071
U.S.S. Ticonderoga G-1 Jacket - Item #: Z21H008

My TG Movie Heroes is a size 44 so I am confident I would take a size 44 in the G-1 100 Mission jacket. I am not so sure about the Ticonderoga G-1 as the website lists it as a Regular Fit. I believe it is the same as the Forrestal G-1 except with a few patches. Can someone who has or had both jackets at one point tell me if I should go down to a 42 or go 44 in the Ticonderoga based on their experience with the Forrestal? According to Jacky at Cockpit I should be a 44 in both based on the TG Movie Heroes, even though their website says the 100 Mission is a slim fit and the Ticonderoga a regular fit...o_O

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk