Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PSA: Lewis Leathers will now allow orders without a logo on the front.

The logos applied to leather jackets are where you separate the leather jacket hobbyist from the leather jacket biker. I mean no offense SF but I do believe those of us that have approached this hobby from a motorcycle gear point of view probably find the LL patch and Vanson ovals less bothersome. I could be wrong but overall that wouldn't surprise me. I've long admired LL but never even considered the patch not being present. It's interesting and I wonder if this same phenomenon exists among the flight jacket crowd and their opinions of patches...

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Or maybe minimalists vs. non-minimalists :D Personally, I prefer the uncluttered look. When I was in the US Navy I was one of the few in my class who wore my G-1 without even a name tag/rank.

miglan30

Familiar Face
Or maybe minimalists vs. non-minimalists :D Personally, I prefer the uncluttered look. When I was in the US Navy I was one of the few in my class who wore my G-1 without even a name tag/rank.

I do wish the military would dispose of the name plates on dress uniforms, it just looks awful to me. Of course, it really isn't relevant for me anymore. :D

miglan30

Familiar Face
The logos applied to leather jackets are where you separate the leather jacket hobbyist from the leather jacket biker. I mean no offense SF but I do believe those of us that have approached this hobby from a motorcycle gear point of view probably find the LL patch and Vanson ovals less bothersome. I could be wrong but overall that wouldn't surprise me. I've long admired LL but never even considered the patch not being present. It's interesting and I wonder if this same phenomenon exists among the flight jacket crowd and their opinions of patches...

Yea I remember the days when you would be hard pressed to find a technical moto jacket without ridiculous labels all over it. Thankfully, most manufacturers are catching on, and are starting offer better selections with minimal branding. While a different animal, the LL jacket is definitely minimal branding, tastefully done, and at this point, part of the jacket's provenance and allure for many.

That's true fanch. I remember looking at LL in 1991, while riding my little 535cc Yamaha Virago and thinking they were impossibly cool jackets and couldn't begin to understand how they could possibly be so expensive. That little patch, along with Vansons oval kind of became a symbol of quality in my eyes. I suppose that view has not diminished despite my general distain for labeled clothing.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
had he couched his post as simply a personal preference, I probably wouldn't have even responded.
Personally, I do not like . . .

giphy.gif

I meant extreme as in an either/or choice regarding people's motives given your comments regarding that and ego. . . . Point is, people may choose to wear logos for a myriad of reasons, even down to simply not caring enough to bother with such a choice or even notice it.

Point taken . . . ascribing ego to all clothing logos was a bit extreme, as many undoubtedly do not even notice or consider the issue, or have other motives. I guess I was more focused on the Louis Vuitton and Chanel logos mentioned in my post, which I believe are more likely to be ego driven. A LL logo is probably less about ego because most of humanity has never heard of LL. Instead, the LL patch is now a historical nuance that forges a bond between current jackets and vintage pieces. Not my taste, but I get it.

The logos applied to leather jackets are where you separate the leather jacket hobbyist from the leather jacket biker. I mean no offense SF but I do believe those of us that have approached this hobby from a motorcycle gear point of view probably find the LL patch and Vanson ovals less bothersome.

Valid distinction. I am definitely a jacket hobbyist, as opposed to a jacket biker, and clean lines are a paramount consideration for me.

Or maybe minimalists vs. non-minimalists :D Personally, I prefer the uncluttered look.

^ This. Fanch is my style icon!

Edward

Bartender
There's nothing wrong with having a logo on an LL jacket.

46435003-1926815420766796-1910178376954413056-n.jpg

This isn't far off how many of the new LLs end up.... Certain irony in it all, though as I've said before, I guess I can seed a difference between the labels an individual chooses to wear, and the ones the manufacturer mandates.

For me, I think if I was buying OTR, I'd not be bothered by the logo, but if I ever do buy that Lightning with the sleeve zip pocket omitted, I'll probably go full 58 spec and ask for no logo as well.

Ummm yea, I was doing the same ;). I wasn't really responding to his personal taste and there was no animus in my post, just a counter to what I thought was a false dichotomy, and had he couched his post as simply a personal preference, I probably wouldn't have even responded.

It's probably wise to read all posts on TFL as stating an inidividual's opinion, unless clearly a statement of fact.

I think this is a fair point; logos have long been not only acceptable but often perceived as desirable for some time in the motorcycle community. Especially on a scene like the Rockers where, while obviously retro, they seek to celebrate an ongoing, living scene in 2018 rather than it being about recreating the heyday and behaving as if it were still 1964.

Lit Up

One of the Regulars
I can see both sides of the argument. When I first saw LL jackets I thought the patch was a little idiosyncratic but the sensation soon went and I become more enamoured with the cut of the jackets. Now I like the contrast of the gold against the black or coloured hide, it's like a little gold leaf.

I have to say that I hate the big yellow Vanson logos on the arms of those jackets. Really gaudy and not discreet in the slightest.

I have to say that I hate the big yellow Vanson logos on the arms of those jackets. Really gaudy and not discreet in the slightest.
Not meant to be discreet. Those are taken right off their race suits where sponsorship is a key component to maintaining ones career. Perhaps not for the everyday Joe Sixpack who rides to work or weekend warriors on day trips tho. I personally wouldn't wear them as I'm not a competitive rider, but I cringe when I see this jacket without them:
IMG_2326.JPG

IMG_2327.JPG

Lit Up

One of the Regulars
the everyday Joe Sixpack who rides to work or weekend warriors on day trips tho

how about people like me who don't even own a bike? guess I'm even less authentic! :)

I cringe when I see this jacket without them

Looks ten times better to my eyes. The vanson logo doesn't even look cool, it looks totally generic, like it could be the logo for a family restaurant, or hardware store.

Edward

Bartender
Mn. There are still other dealbreakers on that jacket for me (it's just too modern looking all over, tbh - and Velcro - yuck), but it does look superficially markedly better without the logo patches imo. It's clear, though, that I'm not Vanson's intended market for that one.

GuyLdeB

New in Town
I’ve got a Lewis leathers dominator jacket and i have no problem with the gold logo as it was on the original ones too. I mean everyone is happy to wear good old vintage Levis and they’ve all got visible tabs on the pockets and on the jeans visible leather back labels. I guess its a totally personal thing but some things, like cars and motorcycles, have always had the makers names and emblems emblazoned on them. IMO it’s part of what they are.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Mn. There are still other dealbreakers on that jacket for me (it's just too modern looking all over, tbh - and Velcro - yuck), but it does look superficially markedly better without the logo patches imo. It's clear, though, that I'm not Vanson's intended market for that one.

Ah well, I only see this as more of a body protection on bike rather than a jacket that I would wear if I am not riding :D. There is always a market for these anyway, otherwise how can they sell so many bikes with vivid liveries on!

Carlos, did you photoshop yours out? I love these...but I would probably go with Corsair pockets and 2 chest zips on my Green sheepskin version.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran